Found an unfamiliar scorpion species!ID?

kevin88

Arachnopeon
Did you happen to look at the link I posted for all of the local scorps in your county?

It looks like a Pseudouroctonus sp.....of which there are 4 in your area lol.

Kevin

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not a V. waueri nor V. intermedius nor P. reddelli.

However, I do think it has a similar look to the P. reddelli. I would look into the Psuedouroctonus species in your area.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/scorpiones/index.html ~great distribution

http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/ ~great gallery

http://desert-scorpions.com/main.html ~focused on Chihuahuan desert, but can be used to compare to many of the species/genus' already guessed.

http://eycb.pagesperso-orange.fr/scorpions/GamNord.htm ~this is the N.A. gallery. I don't think your species is there, but you may get some ideas from pictures of its relative

Good luck! :)

You may want to look for SCABIES too, some of its members may know.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Still can't decide.I definately agree that is most likely pseudoroctonus,but I have no clue when it comes to the species.The angelfire site has names but not many pictures of this genus.I'm thinking it's vajavous or Pseudoroctonus.hmmm...and Cacoseraph hasn't been online for almost a month.He's local,and he's part of scabies.

Oh,and I found another one.Now I have 3!

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pseudouroctonus iviei or pseudouroctonus minimus

you could always send me a male and female and i can tell you then:D

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Still can't decide.I definately agree that is most likely pseudoroctonus,but I have no clue when it comes to the species.The angelfire site has names but not many pictures of this genus.I'm thinking it's vajavous or Pseudoroctonus.hmmm...and Cacoseraph hasn't been online for almost a month.He's local,and he's part of scabies.

Oh,and I found another one.Now I have 3!

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry,double posted ;)

Does any one have some pictures of the 2 species you mentioned above,or other species that they might be?

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
pictures can often get you an I.D. if you are in an area with very few specimens. Generally though, you have to look at the specimen under magnification and confer with the species description to be sure.

For example, in Austin Texas, there are two species. I can tell you in the dark with a black light from 10 feet away what I'm looking at.

Another Texas location I am familiar with has 5 species. I can tell you two of them under black light, and the other three with a decent white light.

Then there is another location that I have only been once, I know a few of the species in light there, but most I can't I.D. without the help of others. (because my morphology knowledge is limited right now).

So unless there are only a few in the area, and you are sure of this, consider getting really good macro pics to post, or send them out to one of our experts, or you will have to learn morphology and look at them under magnification and compare with specie descriptions.

Good luck!

Ps. I would still try getting info from what you have and reading online, it's not like it's going to hurt. Get to know what species are in your area. You might just figure it out yet. :)

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you everyone who posted suggestions!I really appreciate it!

They are definately Psuedoroctonus,a the metadoma looks identical to almost evey pic of the genus I've seen.I think they really look like Iviei,but the pic of the other one wasn't very good,and looked kinda similar as well.are both those species in So Cal?Who could I send one to that could give me a positive ID?

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah pictures are ok in some cases but to get a positive id on alot of species
you have to go by granulation patterns on this area or that area
and you would have to have the know how on that stuff to do it right
and these ive never kept so it would take me a while because i would
have alot of reading to do and all that fun stuff that you have to findout before you can be sure your correct on your work and being this is not a species i have kept it would take me more time and i would have to break out my microscope for that but its in use for some centruriodes stuff im working on right now

but i sent you a pm contact him he will help you out.

hahahahaha funny enough now i want 1.1 of these hahahaha
and i normaly only keep centruroides and other buthids but hey i love scorps

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i wish those pics were bigger and closer it would be easier
but im still betting on Pseudouroctonus iviei

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I can try to get better pictures.I'll post them tomorrow.I would agree with Iviei though.Any ideas on how I would go about sexing them?

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
adult sizes
males about 25 mm
females about 30 mm

pectinal tooth count
females 10
males 11

bla bla bla haha

if you can get a close up of the claws on each one i thing we would be able to tell the sexes i believe the males have a bolder ridge on the claw and are nor a smooth as the females but to tell that you may need to have both sexes but who knows maybe we can tell by that

haha these are getting more and more intresting to me now:D

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They are waaay to small to count the pectines ;) ,but I did notice that the most recent one(3rd) that I caught is about 7 mm longer than the first 2 I caught,which leads me to believe I have 2 males and a female.the suspected female is also a little darker,and has a slightly different genital opening at the base of the pectines.I'm near positive it's the same species.I'll post pics tomorrow or Wednesday.Thanks for the help!

Also,I would just like to say that these are some sweet scorpions.They have a funny personality.They are also very mysterious,as I knowso little about them(neither does anyone else).There is kittle to know info that I have found on them.They're really cool.They look really cool as well.I'm very happy that I found them! :):D:):D

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
its possable that coule be a way to tell but with the little known stuff
on these but hey who knows maybe it is 1 way to tell

very intresting little scorps (i like that):D

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its possable that coule be a way to tell but with the little known stuff
on these but hey who knows maybe it is 1 way to tell

very intresting little scorps (i like that):D
Will someone Please sent Telow a pair of these!? (and me too) :D
During a school break in the near future I am gonna take a road trip near your area asn to see if I can find any--I'm pretty close to you already :)

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Will someone Please sent Telow a pair of these!? (and me too) :D
During a school break in the near future I am gonna take a road trip near your area asn to see if I can find any--I'm pretty close to you already :)
I could probably take you to the area where I found them.I only go every now and then,as there is a homeless guy that often sleeps up there on cold days,and I don't like to disturb him.They were pretty easy to find.