Lateralus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey mate, told you i would get these some day. ;P

Cheers to Dan for the suggestions. ;)

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
oh wow what a nice coloration, nice stripe on the leg too, totally awesome pede you have there mate, lucky one

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
hehehehe

nice one dude !!! :cool:

BTW: Awsome Pictures as usual
:clap: :worship: :clap: :worship:

*edit:
ow yeah:
when are ya gonna catch some local centipedes and show us some pix of those ? ;) :drool:

Last edited:

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wondering are those stripes legs belong to Scolopendra? looks kinda different

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Randolph XX() said:
wondering are those stripes legs belong to Scolopendra? looks kinda different
scolopendra = 100%
picture #2 -> look at the headplate = overlapping the 1st Tergite ;)

subspinipes, i would say 90%,...

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
opps i typed it wrong Steven, i was going to type Scolopendra subspinipes
damn note book keyboard
cuz the legs looks longer and lankier than those viet and multilans
maybe it's just the "eyesick trick" of the stripes

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Randolph XX() said:
opps i typed it wrong Steven, i was going to type Scolopendra subspinipes
damn note book keyboard
cuz the legs looks longer and lankier than those viet and multilans
maybe it's just the "eyesick trick" of the stripes
Yes, but that's because both the pedes you mentioned are different subspecies of subspinipes. The Vietnamese pedes (as far as we can tell) are Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani and the mutilans are obviously Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans. I think the only true S. subspinipes i have in my collection are the Stripe legs and the Malaysian and Javan pedelings i have, and they have very similar terminal leg structure.

Cheers,

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanx Dan
that's really interesting
speaking of stripe legs
according to the paper http://etd.lib.nsysu.edu.tw/ETD-db/...902102-113452&filename=etd-0902102-113452.pdf
there are also S.s.subspnipes in Taiwan, and it looks similar to my fd's pede i've posted
in http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=7434&page=2
which looks kinda "multilans"(known as thr brownish-head multilans from Taiwan), but with attitude and sort like true subspinipes from the paper, also from the same locality as the paper descibed
or might be another varient , Also has stripes at the last 3 pair of legs
and my fd told me they also eat beetle jellies!

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Randolph XX() said:
which looks kinda "multilans"(known as thr brownish-head multilans from Taiwan), but with attitude and sort like true subspinipes from the paper, also from the same locality as the paper descibed
or might be another varient , Also has stripes at the last 3 pair of legs
yeah i know which ones you're talking about,..those are a real pain in the ...
never had the chance to take good pictures of those or checking out their prefemurs,... nasty things {D
i'm also still confused between s.mutilans and s.subspinipes :?

TimV

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Papua New Guinea

When I lived there we had a centipede which burnt grass underneath it. Does anyone know what kind it is? I suppose it gives off an acid?

Lateralus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Steven said:
hehehehe

nice one dude !!! :cool:

BTW: Awsome Pictures as usual
:clap: :worship: :clap: :worship:

*edit:
ow yeah:
when are ya gonna catch some local centipedes and show us some pix of those ? ;) :drool:
Thanks for the compliments bro! I’ll be going hunting this Sunday so I’ll see what I can dig up.

Btw, really interesting information on the different subspecies of subspinipes, my friend will be going to Thailand soon so I hope he'll be able to get me some S. subspinipes dehaani. :drool:

Oh yea, did you get the pm I sent you last week?

Cheers,
Damien.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Incubu5 said:
Oh yea, did you get the pm I sent you last week?
Cheers,
Damien.
guess i missed it
:eek: :8o PM me again if it was urgent :p ;)

’ll be going hunting this Sunday so I’ll see what I can dig up.
don't get bit ;) would love to see some locals :worship:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
TimV said:
When I lived there we had a centipede which burnt grass underneath it. Does anyone know what kind it is? I suppose it gives off an acid?
never heard from it,... are ya sure the grass was burned by the centipede ??? :? i know some specie can give off a smelly odour,... but as far as i know not such "acid" as milipedes can give off :? :? :?
(which i also would find "weird" to burn of grass,....)

intresting,... but i can't give a straight answer to that :eek:

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Steven said:
never heard from it,... are ya sure the grass was burned by the centipede ??? :? i know some specie can give off a smelly odour,... but as far as i know not such "acid" as milipedes can give off :? :? :?
(which i also would find "weird" to burn of grass,....)

intresting,... but i can't give a straight answer to that :eek:
ya
i remember i brought a multilans(not sure about it, got stripes on boday and brown head) to school when i was 14
as soon as i opened the box to check it, the smell spreaded, and i was in deep trouble...........
then i rangled the pede on my arm try to convince my teach i know what i was doing(which was pretty stupid, but that pede was amazingly docile, or it just see my arm as surface?), but stiil been sent to the princple and get grounded for few weeks.......

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Incubu5, those two pics you posted are the two best scolopendra pics i have seen ever!! Congratulations on your beast, those colours are outstandingly amazing!!

phil.

Lateralus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
bistrobob85 said:
Hey Incubu5, those two pics you posted are the two best scolopendra pics i have seen ever!! Congratulations on your beast, those colours are outstandingly amazing!!

phil.
Hey Phil. Thank you for the kind words but you flatter me. Steven and Dan take better pictures imho. :)

Cheers,
Damien.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So is that it?! Nobody really knows the ssp. of this incredible 'pede?!? I wish i could tell but i'm not experienced enough... Maybe i'm wrong but i've never seen a S.subpinipes De haani anywhere close to those leg colors... I would be REALLY curious to know to which subspecie it belongs to...

phil.

Lateralus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
bistrobob85 said:
So is that it?! Nobody really knows the ssp. of this incredible 'pede?!? I wish i could tell but i'm not experienced enough... Maybe i'm wrong but i've never seen a S.subpinipes De haani anywhere close to those leg colors... I would be REALLY curious to know to which subspecie it belongs to...

phil.
Phil, if you re-read the posts in the thread, specifically by Steven, Dan, and even on the picture itself, you'll notice that they all point to the same thing. The pede is most likely another colour / locality variation of Scolopendra subspinipes. ;)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Damien.