first old world

mistertim

Arachnobaron
i would NOT get a OW until you have kept the more advanced NW. Maybe you should get an arboreal with some speed like a P. pulcher or P. irminia. the P. irminia from what i read is close to a OW.
My understanding is that P. irminia can actually be quite a bit more defensive than some OWs and just about as fast. Kinda makes sense since they also don't have urticating hairs.

Bemottled

Arachnosquire
My understanding is that P. irminia can actually be quite a bit more defensive than some OWs and just about as fast. Kinda makes sense since they also don't have urticating hairs.
I just got a P. irminia sling to prep me for owning OWs since I want a P. regalis.
Haven't had her long, she seems mostly skittish so far, but that doesn't really have any grounding since 2 days isn't anything for observation.

Not that I want a ton of OWs- but you know, there's like 2 that I'd love to have. Besides that, all NW for me!

louise f

Arachnoangel
No NO NOOO:banghead: good to let a 15 year old get an OW T as the first, that is irresponsible.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Please consider the following list of a few awesome looking NW tarantulas:
B. albiceps
B. smithi
A. versicolor
N. chromatus
G. pulcheripes
C. cyaneopubescens (GBB)
L. parahybana
P. cambridgei
P. irminia
T. gigas
X. immanis

These are all beautiful tarantulas with much easier going personalities. Some may be more intermediate due to speed (T. gigas) others as mentioned before like Psalmopoeus are a tad more... prone to bite. The difference is they won't put you out for a week (or more) as easily as any OW likely can.

Last edited:

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Please consider the following list of a few awesome looking NW tarantulas:
B. albiceps
B. smithi
A. versicolor
N. chromatus
G. pulcheripes
C. cyaneopubescens (GBB)
L. parahybana
P. cambridgei
P. irminia
T. gigas
X. immanis

These are all beautiful tarantulas with much easier going personalities. Some may be more intermediate due to speed (T. gigas) others as mentioned before like Psalmopoeus are a tad more... prone to bite. The difference is they won't put you out for a week (or more) as easily as any OW likely can.
I would not recommend taps for a beginner (T. gigas) I keep almost every poecilotheria sp, and taps are still way too fast and unpredictable for me.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I would not recommend taps for a beginner (T. gigas) I keep almost every poecilotheria sp, and taps are still way too fast and unpredictable for me.

Granted, not for a beginner. A friend years ago, here in Italy (prior to the Ban, Jesus Christ... cool things here happened prior 2003!) had a Tapinauchenius sanctivincenti (amazing, btw).

We re-housed (cage upgrades) "Flash" a couple of time. I can guarantee you that from my point of view, that's madness. Madness.

The madness, i mean, is that speed rapture. Yeah, ok, if we want to make stats, they are at the first place, probably. I know that, everyone knows.

But those fellas aren't high strung, aren't a jumping bolt of Blitzkrieg marvellous "hate", always on high strung mode (meaning bites, and multiple in a row oh unlucky) like a Stromatopelma calceatum; as far as i know, the only Theraphosidae able to scare the .... out of man eating predators, they doesn't like too much to share the same tree with that lovely "Babs" back down in old Toto song "Africa".

They are just more speedy "Psalmos" IMO. Had seen couple of P.irminia more, much more defensive than 'Pokies' and 'Taps'.

Ain't suggesting you one now, of course, but you deal with 'Pokies' speed and knows well what speed is.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Being around a OBT virtually means nothing. You never fed it, watered it, maintained it or rehoused it. Owning just a Grammostola rosea doesn't prep you nearly enough not even for intermediate NWs. Have you ever read the bite reports on OW tarantulas? They move waaaaay faster than you can posibly react, they posses no urticating bristles and thus rely on their fangs, venom and sheer speed to protect themselves. OW has medically significant venom, now you know what an escaped OW can do if it bit someone besides you. I wouldn't suggest psalmos or taps for a next T either. Work your way up, get other NW terrestrials, Cromatopelma Cyanopubesence are a great T if you want to move a bit upwards, they are a bit more fast and skittish than a G. Rosea, beautiful and webs a ton, very hardy as well and relatively visible from what I have gathered. Other genera that you can look into is Nhandu and Acanthoscurria. Acanthoscurria geniculata will be another good choice. Great looking Ts and grows relatively big, and has a huge appetite, always visible and very hardy as well.

There is absolutely no need to rush things. Work your way up, believe me it's the best way to prep you for all those OWs.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Being around a OBT virtually means nothing. You never fed it, watered it, maintained it or rehoused it. Owning just a Grammostola rosea doesn't prep you nearly enough not even for intermediate NWs. Have you ever read the bite reports on OW tarantulas? They move waaaaay faster than you can posibly react, they posses no urticating bristles and thus rely on their fangs, venom and sheer speed to protect themselves. OW has medically significant venom, now you know what an escaped OW can do if it bit someone besides you. I wouldn't suggest psalmos or taps for a next T either. Work your way up, get other NW terrestrials, Cromatopelma Cyanopubesence are a great T if you want to move a bit upwards, they are a bit more fast and skittish than a G. Rosea, beautiful and webs a ton, very hardy as well and relatively visible from what I have gathered. Other genera that you can look into is Nhandu and Acanthoscurria. Acanthoscurria geniculata will be another good choice. Great looking Ts and grows relatively big, and has a huge appetite, always visible and very hardy as well.

There is absolutely no need to rush things. Work your way up, believe me it's the best way to prep you for all those OWs.
Agreed. I was close to jumping into OWs too fast as well. I wasn't on the verge of buying but I was contemplating it; then I talked to some people in here and changed my mind, and I'm glad I did.

To the OP...another thing is that helps as far as what to move to next, etc is if you have an idea of what sort of T's you'd like to eventually get to. If its OW arboreals then you can move towards Avics to get a feel for general arboreal husbandry without having to worry about a hospital visit and a week of hell if you make a mistake or get sloppy with enclosure maintenance or what have you (and you WILL, trust me). I love Pokies and that's where I eventually want to go but I know I'm not at all ready but that's why my second T was an A. versicolor.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree they're super fast (possibly the fastest?) But I think they're a much better tarantula for a 15 year old with no experience wanting a H. maculata...

I just wanted to show a broad list of NW tarantulas that can be considered before going OW. Also, based on what others have said, I'd consider Tapinauchenius upper intermediate and a great intro to OW after getting more NW experience.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
13, just turned in Oct.
13 as well just turned in Nov.
Mad props to you two kids...I mean that, neither of you comes off as that young and both of you have good heads on your shoulders...glad to have you in the hobby and on the boards, your youthful wisdom can go a long way relating to many of the younger keepers we get and helping them make the right decisions for the right reasons.

Um 15 what do you have in your collection besides tarantulas ?
Other animals mean nothing with regards to helping you to keep ts, only keeping other ts matters....which is why so many of us stress the "ladder system" that you are being encouraged to utilize.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. There are people who have been keeping for many years who prefer to stick with NW Ts; just personal preference. There are some amazing NW tarantulas out there.
+1, I always think its a little sad when people want to skip right past and jump into OW...these people don't know what they are missing, there really are an absolute ton of super cool, really desirable (at any level) NW ts available in todays market that to not take advantage is an opportunity lost.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
+1, I always think its a little sad when people want to skip right past and jump into OW...these people don't know what they are missing, there really are an absolute ton of super cool, really desirable (at any level) NW ts available in todays market that to not take advantage is an opportunity lost.
Definitely agree. I think part of the problem is that new keepers can get the impression that to be one of the "cool kids", so to speak, you have to keep OW Ts. Like you can't ever be a truly respected or expert keeper unless you have multiple OW tarantulas in your collection. Which obviously isn't the case, but as a still relatively new keeper I can see how people brand new to the hobby could get that impression. They lose sight that its supposed to be fun, not stressful. If what gives you enjoyment is NW terrestrials, collect those. If it is NW arboreals, go for it. If its OW arboreals, do that (after getting there responsibly).

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
OP, why not give some Avics a shot? i picked up a common pink toe( Avicularia Avicularia) a couple months back and i personally like the colors on it more than my Indian ornamental (Pocilotheria Regalis). with much less attitude and awesome colors, it can make for a great 2nd tarantula. be sure to look up the care extensively however.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Maybe it's just because I've had them for several years but I don't find Taps to be unpredictable, they run, it's what they do. The Poecilotheria on the other hand will bite, bolt and slap, sometimes in conjunction with one another. I think the lower part of the list was the more intermediate stuff but I think T.gigas makes a fine substitute for an OBT as they are just a pretty but won't send you to a hospital. Of course some time with other NW aboreals and some tropical terrestrials is necessary to gain the skills to care for them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe it's just because I've had them for several years but I don't find Taps to be unpredictable, they run, it's what they do. The Poecilotheria on the other hand will bite, bolt and slap, sometimes in conjunction with one another. I think the lower part of the list was the more intermediate stuff but I think T.gigas makes a fine substitute for an OBT as they are just a pretty but won't send you to a hospital. Of course some time with other NW aboreals and some tropical terrestrials is necessary to gain the skills to care for them.

Never owned Taps, when they bolt, do they run all over the place typically, or.... ?

awiec

Arachnoprince
Never owned Taps, when they bolt, do they run all over the place typically, or.... ?
Depends really, if they are in their cage they do laps but the ones that have attempted escape have a pretty straight trajectory, almost to the point where I can put a vial down in their predicted path and they run right into it. Granted I've only had to deal with several escape attempts but at least one of the six will do laps or just straight up leap down to the bottom of the cage every week if I even look at them funny.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Depends really, if they are in their cage they do laps but the ones that have attempted escape have a pretty straight trajectory, almost to the point where I can put a vial down in their predicted path and they run right into it. Granted I've only had to deal with several escape attempts but at least one of the six will do laps or just straight up leap down to the bottom of the cage every week if I even look at them funny.
See all my pokies just cling to their cork for dear life aside from two of them, which make a dash for my bloody arm when I open the enclosure, so taps doing laps and running into my lap (see what I did there?) is something I need to work my way up to.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
See all my pokies just cling to their cork for dear life aside from two of them, which make a dash for my bloody arm when I open the enclosure, so taps doing laps and running into my lap (see what I did there?) is something I need to work my way up to.

Poecs usually aren't ones for laps, but the other Asian arboreals have a tendency to do that. You can open the lid and see a blur racing in circles on the sides, and all you can do is close the lid until it settles down and goes into it's retreat. You have to close the lid carefully, so that the spider doesn't get injured, but also quickly so it doesn't race out. It takes some experience.

awiec

Arachnoprince
The thing about Taps is that they generally run away from you and don't want to bite you (ya know, cause they are fast), while my Pokies are always trying to take a chunk out of me and run away/onto me at the same time if they attempt an escape. Plus T.gigas is orange, you're going to find it pretty quickly when and if they take off.