first old world

AlmightyQues

Arachnopeon
Listen to me :)
There's a world full of amazing NW T's. T's like Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, for instance, that can teach you a couple of things.

Don't lose that opportunity. I can guarantee you that there's underestimated NW T's better than some OW.

There's no need for useless fast tracks.

There's a reason also if i pointed out your age. You are young, and a bite (first thing first, who said only one bite? They are able to deliver multiple in a row) from a Pterinochilus murinus is a serious thing. No one died so far, ok, but trust me and the others here on that.
Thats pretty much the only NW that i looked at also

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Bad advice. Reminds me of the statement loved by the heroin addicted of the '80 we had here in Italy:

"No problems, i quit when i want" lol, they ended up bad.

Also, according to your profile, you are 15. Again, bad advice. Couldn't disagree more. No offence.
Like I'm probably the youngest keeper on the boards, and even I can see this is one hella bad idea.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Youngest keeper contest going on? I'm 13!:D Like Chris said, NW are incredible man, stick with them for a while.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
okay thanks for the advice but he always told me it cant be picked up because it is very nasty
Oh I certainly wasn't talking about handling it. You should never attempt to handle an OBT on purpose. I just mean experience with it where you could experience its defensiveness and speed firsthand...like with a cage maintenance or especially a rehousing. Reading about speed and defensiveness doesn't truly prepare you for the real thing when you experience it. I haven't had any OWs but I have a NW arboreal and a GBB and both of them can be really quick when they want to be...not as fast as an OW, but pretty damn fast and I had studied up a ton on them but still wasn't truly prepared for it when I experienced them both bolting.

With only a G. rosea its a really bad idea to jump into OW species. Move up gradually. I had a B. smithi first, then I got my Avicularia versicolor, then my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (GBB) so with each new T they got faster and more skittish. Next I'll probably either go with a Pslamo or maybe jump to one of more level headed OWs. Also, before you make the jump to any new Ts (especially OWs) read the bite reports. Not meant to scare you, but you just need to understand what you'd be dealing with so you can have the proper respect for the animal as well as take into account others in your household (are there little kids, etc?).

Last edited:

AlmightyQues

Arachnopeon
Oh I certainly wasn't talking about handling it. You should never attempt to handle an OBT on purpose. I just mean experience with it where you could experience its defensiveness and speed firsthand...like with a cage maintenance or especially a rehousing. Reading about speed and defensiveness doesn't truly prepare you for the real thing when you experience it. I haven't had any OWs but I have a NW arboreal and a GBB and both of them can be really quick when they want to be...not as fast as an OW, but pretty damn fast and I had studied up a ton on them but still wasn't truly prepared for it when I experienced them both bolting.

With only a G. rosea its a really bad idea to jump into OW species. Move up gradually. I had a B. smithi first, then I got my Avicularia versicolor, then my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (GBB) so with each new T they got faster and more skittish. Next I'll probably either go with a Pslamo or maybe jump to one of more level headed OWs. Also, before you make the jump to any new Ts (especially OWs) read the bit reports. Not meant to scare you, but you just need to understand what you'd be dealing with so you can have the proper respect for the animal as well as take into account others in your household (are there little kids, etc?).
Um the youngest might just stick to the new worlds lol

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Um the youngest might just stick to the new worlds lol
And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. There are people who have been keeping for many years who prefer to stick with NW Ts; just personal preference. There are some amazing NW tarantulas out there.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. There are people who have been keeping for many years who prefer to stick with NW Ts; just personal preference. There are some amazing NW tarantulas out there.
Yeah there are a lot of nice NWs. On the issue of age and keeping OWs: If a grown man experiences the symptoms often described after OW bites you should think about what would happen to you with your 5feet 89 pound body. Not sure if it is true but I have heard about children falling into a coma after bites from poecilotheria in their natural habitat. There are some things you are only allowed to do as an adult for a good reason and I think keeping OW Ts or any potentially harmful animal should be one of them.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Yeah there are a lot of nice NWs. On the issue of age and keeping OWs: If a grown man experiences the symptoms often described after OW bites you should think about what would happen to you with your 5feet 89 pound body. Not sure if it is true but I have heard about children falling into a coma after bites from poecilotheria in their natural habitat. There are some things you are only allowed to do as an adult for a good reason and I think keeping OW Ts or any potentially harmful animal should be one of them.
*quiet whistling* Yeah, this is pretty true. Extreme caution is exercised when adults keep these, so double that is expected if you're a kid, and well, kids usually don't have the patience to do so.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Thats pretty much the only NW that i looked at also
Well, there's others, interesting as well. There's Grammostola pulchripes, they reach (0.1 especially) nice size. 'GBB', as i've said, that can give you a good idea of "fast bolts" -- aren't that slower :p

I would even say Acanthoscurria geniculata, indeed not a "capital crime" to suggest (especially if compared to the OW's you mentioned). But man, seriously, there's a LOT of NW T's, perfects for learn and gain experience.

This is only a friendly advice, given by me with nothing but the best intentions. You are not obligated to follow that nor to agree, of course. The choice is yours.

awiec

Arachnoprince
My younger sisters would watch me feed my tarantulas (including my OW) all the time and occasionally would water (through the air holes) for me while I was gone. That said, I would never trust them with any of the species I keep besides my potato of a Thrixapelma even if they were "around" my potent species. Knowledge does not work via osmosis, you have to build muscle reaction and skill to deal with fast potent predators, which generally takes time even if you are "gifted". I've been catching and keeping spiders on and off since I was 4 or 5 (that's almost 20 years...gulp) and I still started with more relaxed species as I wanted to be able to spend quality time observing and practicing husbandry with my tarantulas. Sure the fastest tarantula in the hobby, T.gigas, was my second spider but I kept lycosids before and had experience with speedy spiders; you have no such reference. You have the tarantula equivalent of a potato and you're doing yourself a disservice by skipping all the very unique spiders of the South American tropics (whom I find more entertaining than any OW).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Been deciding for a while which one should i get ?
Togo starburst baboon
Cobalt blue tarantula , what would you recommend ? Been in the hobby for many years

Neither, Ceratogyrus genus is the best OW to start with.

"being around" an OBT is the equivalent in my mind to someone telling me they have experience with Ferrari's, when said experience is from looking at the dealership.

You should get a more challenging New World species considering the experience you have, like a Green-bottle blue.

Last edited:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
i would NOT get a OW until you have kept the more advanced NW. Maybe you should get an arboreal with some speed like a P. pulcher or P. irminia. the P. irminia from what i read is close to a OW.