First jailbreak...sigh - UPDATE: FOUND HER!!!

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Well, I had my first tarantula escape two days ago. It was my juvie female B. smithi. It was my fault; I got distracted by something while giving my Ts water and apparently didn't secure the top of her enclosure enough. She's never really been much of an escape attempt threat before but just my luck, the time that I let my concentration lapse just a little was the time she tried and was successful.

Needless to say I have no clue where she is because I didn't see her escape...didn't even notice it until the next day so she could be pretty much anywhere and my spiders are in the basement so there are plenty of hiding places. Really bums me out too because she was my first T :(

I guess all I can hope is that eventually she will come out of hiding and show up somewhere. Also a little worried that my cat might have gotten her but she is really old and doesn't show much interest in bugs at all. She ignores crickets completely. But who knows. sigh

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I'd just keep the door to the basement closed and go through it well. Probably won't find it but it's worth a shot, she easily could have found some clutter and started making a new home.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Tip toe around at night with a flashlight & wearing socks, that's when they're the most active.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good luck! As suggested, looking at night with a flashlight is the best time to hopefully find her. Meanwhile, consider keeping the moisture up in the basement - maybe misting a few random corners or even leaving out some shallow dishes of water on the floor so she doesn't dehydrate. Tarantulas can go a long time without food (though if your basement is anything like my bug room - or even like most basements I've been in, for that matter - food should not be a problem, what with escaped feeders and free-range bugs) but they can dehydrate relatively quickly. We've used similar tactics while hunting for escaped geckos and recovered them successfully - sometimes weeks later.

I hope you find her!

Andy00

Arachnoknight
This is a hardy species, I'm sure it can live a while in your basement. Make sure there's no way it can get out of your basement, and I'd leave some bottle caps of water just around your basement just incase it needs water haha :) good luck!

billrogers

Arachnoknight
One trick that might help, spider eyes reflect light. If you use a headlamp or hold a flashlight to the side of your head, it could help pinpoint your t when searching in the dark.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Thanks, all. Yeah that's actually something I did already. Left a couple small water dishes in places I figure she could be hiding so she can stay hydrated. I guess we'll see what happens.

louise f

Arachnoangel
@mistertim Good luck finding her, well at least it is a hardy species. And of course i could think of much more worse spiders running freely around the house.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
One trick that might help, spider eyes reflect light. If you use a headlamp or hold a flashlight to the side of your head, it could help pinpoint your t when searching in the dark.
Do tarantulas have a tapetum though? I wasn't aware that they do? Of course wolf spiders and some other true spiders do. I wouldn't expect the tapetum to be present in tarantulas as they don't rely on vision for their primary sense to hunt, unlike a wolf spider.

But if they do have one, I'd love to know. I sure haven't noticed it any species I own, but all Ts are different!

billrogers

Arachnoknight
Do tarantulas have a tapetum though? I wasn't aware that they do? Of course wolf spiders and some other true spiders do. I wouldn't expect the tapetum to be present in tarantulas as they don't rely on vision for their primary sense to hunt, unlike a wolf spider.

But if they do have one, I'd love to know. I sure haven't noticed it any species I own, but all Ts are different!
That's a good point... I've never hunted tarantulas this way before but I assumed it would work. I guess now I'll be shining a light in my t's eyes tonight to test it! :D:D

Trenor

Arachnoprince

Not sure if the do or not but this guys eyes flared when I took a photo with a side flash. Not sure you would be able to see that without being zoomed in though.