First A. seemani tarantula questions...

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
Walmart or Kroger is where I get them. I use a toothpick to poke holes. I switched over to little tubs that I found in the office section of Meijer. They look exactly like great big rubber maid containers, but fit in your hand. Much more secure than deli cups. Plastic needs burned or drilled though, since it's much harder than deli cup plastic. They r also stackable. I always offer new tarantulas food, since I don't know their feeding schedule and feed them to immediately make a new one. The little slings normally eat right away.
I managed to find 16 ounce plastic jars at the local science store. I'm just using one of those very sharp dissection probes to poke holes in the top.

Some additional questions:

1. How many needle thin holes need to be poked at the top for my sling's breathing?

2. Is substrate (I plan on using Ecoearth) good to use straight out of the bag? Do you just store unused substrate in a plastic container?

3. For transporting my sling from store to my house, if I put him in a small cooler which heating pads do I use to keep him warm in the cold weather...will any brand of those instant heating pads work?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I managed to find 16 ounce plastic jars at the local science store. I'm just using one of those very sharp dissection probes to poke holes in the top.

Some additional questions:

1. How many needle thin holes need to be poked at the top for my sling's breathing?

2. Is substrate (I plan on using Ecoearth) good to use straight out of the bag? Do you just store unused substrate in a plastic container?

3. For transporting my sling from store to my house, if I put him in a small cooler which heating pads do I use to keep him warm in the cold weather...will any brand of those instant heating pads work?

Thanks for everyone's input.
1) This question will be opinionated with different answers for different people. I don't own this species, but I generally put a lot of holes in my containers regardless of species. I choose to check moisture levels more often and/or add additional water sources in the container if more humidity is desired. I don't do any specific quantity of holes or worry about humidity levels though. My view is that it is easier to cover some holes if I think I have too many versus trying to add more while the tarantula is living in the container. My answer won't match the answer of some others.

2) Yes. The only question related to substrate straight out of the bag relates to moisture. Sometimes the EcoEarth I have bought is slightly moist when I get it. In that case I like to let it air dry for a little while or mix it with drier substrate if the tarantula does not need it this moist. If your substrate is more moist than recommended, you could spread some of it out in a larger tub or container so it will dry faster (or put it near a heat source to expedite the process). But you don't need to bake it in the oven or treat it. The quality of EcoEarth is very good.

3) Someone else will need to help you on this question since I haven't bought any of them yet.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I'm kind of worried about the humidity levels in my bedroom. While temps range anywhere from 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit I'm only getting a range of 40-45% humidity. Obviously it's winter and cold outside; the humidity levels fluctuate by the seasons. I'm worried that such low humidity levels for my sling aren't ideal or even safe?

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
^^^^just mist or dribble water into the substrate for humidity. I make 1/4 of the sub moist and spray a few drops on the side nearly every day. As the sub dries I move the wet spot around the sub.I also use plastic leaves for hides and water dishes for these very small tarantulas. Eco earth is good. 4 holes on top and around 6 on the sides are what I do.

cold blood

Staff member
1230141929.jpg 1210141321.jpg
Where can you buy 16oz deli cups though? I might try to see what kinds of similar sized containers I can find elsewhere first. How many air holes need to be poked at the top? I'm assuming for the size of the sling air holes only need to be needle-thin?

Also is it recommended to feed your sling immediately after rehousing or wait a few days to get used to its new home?
Any deli or grocery store will have them, often they will just give you a few.

I poke 2 rings of holes around the top half with a pin, then run through the holes with a toothpick to make them clean and uniform. I put 2-4 holes on the lid, just to prevent condensation.

Many people search and search for alternatives to a deli cup, they all spend more and do more work and still don't have an enclosure as good as that deli cup.

Accept no substitutes.

I'm kind of worried about the humidity levels in my bedroom. While temps range anywhere from 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit I'm only getting a range of 40-45% humidity. Obviously it's winter and cold outside; the humidity levels fluctuate by the seasons. I'm worried that such low humidity levels for my sling aren't ideal or even safe?
Don't worry about humidity numbers, its really just as simple as keeping part of the substrate damp, and if there's room, adding a water dish. Low humidity merely means you add moisture more often as it will dry quicker.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
So is one of those 16 oz plastic jars that are tall sufficient for a burrowing 1 1/2 inch A. seemani sling? Or are the 16 oz containers with more floor space more important?

Also if I'm using a 16 oz tall jar how would I fit a water bowl inside? Can slings drown in their water bowls? Where exactly would I get a tiny water bowl?

Jeff23

Arachnolord
So is one of those 16 oz plastic jars that are tall sufficient for a burrowing 1 1/2 inch A. seemani sling? Or are the 16 oz containers with more floor space more important?

Also if I'm using a 16 oz tall jar how would I fit a water bowl inside? Can slings drown in their water bowls? Where exactly would I get a tiny water bowl?
A tarantula can't drown unless it is injured and falls in the water dish or is somehow pinned underwater. I like to use tall skinny water vials (available on Amazon or from shipments of T's) for mine since I have to travel sometimes. Just don't get one that is so skinny that the T could get stuck in it after it molts a time or two.

EDIT* Hobby Lobby has some large plastic thimbles in the sewing area that work well as a water dish and don't eat up much space either.

Last edited:

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
After watching some mealworm care videos have a few questions regarding that:

1. How do you avoid getting things like mold on the oat substrate and other food items you give to the mealworms?

2. How often does the container your mealworms live in need to be cleaned?

3. How to prevent mealworms from breeding?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie

1. How do you avoid getting things like mold on the oat substrate and other food items you give to the mealworms?
1. I keep mine in the fridge and place the veggies on top of the oats. The veggies dry out before they get mouldy. Same results in my super worm container too, but my super worms are not in the fridge.
2. I don't clean mine out that often. I go through it about once a month and pick out dead ones and shed skins.
3. Super worms will not turn into beetles unless they are solitary and won't breed unless they are beetles. I'm not sure if it is the same with meal worms. Mine are kept in the crisper at the bottom of the fridge and are dormant about 99.9% of the time.

cold blood

Staff member

Just keep them in the fridge, they go dormant...no need to feed them anything or even give them substrate, dormant animals don't eat. That's the answer to all three questions at once.

If not in the fridge, I just drop in some shredded lettuce once in a while, otherwise they're just dry.

Superworms are tropical and should be kept at room temps. I keep them in a deli cup full of dry oats...drop in a piece of potato from time to time for moisture. They will last up to 6 months on a shelf next to your ts. I always put in old wood, they go through it like buzz saws (naturally, wood is most of their diet).

Little superworm trick...If I am ever wondering if a t will eat, I place a deli cup of supers on the top...hungry ts hear them wiggling and will be on the lid in short order.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
3. Super worms will not turn into beetles unless they are solitary and won't breed unless they are beetles. I'm not sure if it is the same with meal worms.
Mealworms will definitely pupate into beetles, even if kept in the same container. Keeping them cooler will, however, slow down their life cycle so that the larvae will remain larvae for longer.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
Okay I'm having some issues with the housing container for my sling. I managed to find a 16 oz deli container but it is left with sticky residue on the top and bottom. I tried using rubbing alcohol to remove the residue but in the process I was wondering if the alcoholic smell could be dangerous to my sling?

I have another 16 oz plastic jar that is very tall with very limited floor space. Would it be better and safer to use this for my 1 1/2 inch sling? How much substrate would I be packing in this container?

Also, for your tarantulas do you use only spring water or tap water?

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Okay I'm having some issues with the housing container for my sling. I managed to find a 16 oz deli container but it is left with sticky residue on the top and bottom. I tried using rubbing alcohol to remove the residue but in the process I was wondering if the alcoholic smell could be dangerous to my sling?

I have another 16 oz plastic jar that is very tall with very limited floor space. Would it be better and safer to use this for my 1 1/2 inch sling? How much substrate would I be packing in this container?

Did you soak the container in hot water and dish soap. Also can you put holes in the other container jar.
Soaking has helped me.

My Ts get plain old tap, cooties and allo_O;)

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
Did you soak the container in hot water and dish soap. Also can you put holes in the other container jar.
Soaking has helped me.

The tall 16 oz jar I would actually prefer to use since there was nothing previously in it. Yes I was able to poke holes in it.

I have seen lots of sling videos using the 16 oz deli containers but I cannot easily come across them at the stores here. I rarely see the tall 16 oz jars being used.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
My A. seemani is a burrowing fool. Give yours a lot of substrate. Water dish and a small amt. of corkbark so she can start drilling. Mine made her starter burrow under the bark and branched out from there. Give her a moment to catch her breath, then start flinging crics at her and watch the show!

cold blood

Staff member

Alcohol, assuming it wasn't rum or something, will evaporate very quickly.

There's actually a fairly active thread about the water question. People use distilled mostly because it doesn't leave residue/minerals after it evaporates....I've been using tap for 16 years.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
Soaking has helped me.

I'm soaking the deli container I have now. Is it safe for the sling if I soak the deli container in "natural" dish liquid using plant-based detergent?