First A. seemani tarantula questions...

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I managed to get my sling home and rehoused without any issues.

But now he will not eat. He didn't show any interest in the baby mealworm I fed him, even after all that squirming the mealworm does. He will not eat live or pre-Killed...not sure if I've just disturbed him too much after the rehousing or if he is in pre-molt.

He is very docile, didn't kick hairs at me or anything. Should I just let him settle for a few hours and then try to feed him again?

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
Give it at least two days, up to a week, before feeding. Security is on the top of its priority list so providing it should be yours; don't disturb it, keep it dim, let it find a safe space to fortify.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
Yeah I figured I need to leave him alone for a while. His abdomen looks very healthy and doesn't appear to be dehydrated. I'll let him settle down and attempt to feed him again in a few days.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I have some additional questions now that I have my sling home:

1. I do have a water bowl for my sling but is it recommended still to water the substrate a few times a week? Although I know the humidity levels in my bedroom I don't know how different the humidity is in my sling's 16 oz container.

2. Is sphagnum (sic?) moss recommended for my sling's container to help with humidity levels? Where can you buy this moss online?

3. My sling is 1 1/2 inches. At what size will I need to rehouse him again? Into what size container?

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I have some additional questions now that I have my sling home:

1. I do have a water bowl for my sling but is it recommended still to water the substrate a few times a week? Although I know the humidity levels in my bedroom I don't know how different the humidity is in my sling's 16 oz container.

2. Is sphagnum (sic?) moss recommended for my sling's container to help with humidity levels? Where can you buy this moss online?

3. My sling is 1 1/2 inches. At what size will I need to rehouse him again? Into what size container?
Hi.
1&2
If you soak the moss then wring it out good, that should take care of dampness and humidity.
3. Could you getca pic of the kid in the deli cup?

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
Well some good news! My sling has been burrowing, tunneling, and rearranging his house the past day. I figured he is a lot more settled in. He was peaking out of one his burrow entrances so I decided to try feeding him again.

I accidentally dropped the live baby mealworm in his entrance and he immediately went for it. I successfully gave him his first meal! So special!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Yeah I figured I need to leave him alone for a while. His abdomen looks very healthy and doesn't appear to be dehydrated. I'll let him settle down and attempt to feed him again in a few days.
you can try feeding immediately.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
you can try feeding immediately.
I've been reading that within 24 hours after feeding, you should remove the uneaten parts of the feed item. What if I can't find any "leftovers" especially of the small mealworm? My sling burrows and rearranges substrate so much I don't know if I could find any uneaten parts of the mealworm. At least I haven't seen any?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've been reading that within 24 hours after feeding, you should remove the uneaten parts of the feed item. What if I can't find any "leftovers" especially of the small mealworm? My sling burrows and rearranges substrate so much I don't know if I could find any uneaten parts of the mealworm. At least I haven't seen any?
When the spiders done eating, it will drop a bolus. Basically a little grey ball of webs and the parts of the meal it couldn't eat. That you should pick out whenever possible. But it's not the end of the world if you don't find it.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I would like to thank everyone for their input on caring for my sling.

I don't think I will be actively posting on the forums much anymore due to some rather uneducated-and inflammatory remarks-against those in the hobby who do not identify as political "liberals." I'm not entirely sure what the the purpose is of such discussion on a tarantula care forum, but thanks for scaring a potential hobbyist away from the forums. But thanks for reiterating my point!

I greatly appreciate everyone who contributed to help a fellow noob like me. I will take my sling care elsewhere and my sanity.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, we did what we could guys. I think she'll take good care of that little seemani

Did I miss the conservative bashing thread on here?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Maybe she wandered into the Watering Hole. I'm not sure if there are currently any political threads in there now, but that would be the most likely place to run onto a political debate thread...there might be a couple off-topic political remarks made in the main tarantula forums (I enter the other critter forums only sporadically), but I've never noticed any.

cold blood

Staff member
Since the t is small, its prey is small...small prey means very very small boli. When dealing with slings I don't even try to search for them as theyre so small they won't cause issues until way after the t has been re-housed.

Yes, for larger ts eating larger prey, removing those boli is essential, but not as much in sling enclosures.

At that size (1.5") it can stay in the 16oz deli for a few molts yet. I move them to larger enclosures about 3", by then the deli starts getting a little small for them.

For larger ones, they may keep boli in the burrows, which means you do nothing...eventually the t will clean house and eject all of them...generally into a corner or even the water dish.....when theyre ejected and easy to get at, then remove them.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
There were some off-topic remarks I read in a thread (that is now closed) in one of the main tarantula sub-forums. Honestly, I want to come here to discuss our crawly friends, not read about what stereotypes people have towards those who don't agree with their politics or worldviews. It is very off-putting for me, and I'm seriously questioning whether I should bother to continue to post on this website.

I did purchase "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" (revised edition) and am reading through it now. Contrary to what some posters may think about others on this forum, I do have a scientific background and do work in the sciences. So I am not stupid.:)