Finally got my vivarium done!

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well,

After about $300-$375 and months of the slowly working on it I finally got my auratus tank finished. It's pretty cool really....i'm so glad it's done. I just need to do a few more things and get some good lighting and it will be complete.

Here are some more pictures from a journal on another site.
link

Here is a crappy shot of how it is right now.

I've used a bunch of different things for dirt and it looks like the mixture is going to work. I had a moss colony going on for a while but I got sick and it dried out. So, I just used that and the peat that was with it, two different sizes of fir bark, some long fiber sphagnum and a layer of leca underneath. I also threw in a couple extra packs of kyoto moss spores on top.

I have three different orchids, two broms, a goldfish plant. I don't know what all of that green stuff is. I had another thing of tropical moss from Hawaii that I purchased from black jungle and while the moss died that stuff flourished in 100% humidity.

I put in a bunch of dwarf white isopods and some tropical springtails. I put too much yeast in a springtail culture and mushrooms took over. I put that dirt in the mixture as well.

I can't wait for it to grow out.

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beautiful!
Mind if I ask you a quick question about the water feature, as in how you have it set up? I've been having a disagreement with a friend over how would be the best way to set one up.
also- the back is tree fern panel?
Again, this really is amazing.

Edit: I just looked at your link, even better than me bugging you for answers:D

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I did the waterfall with greatstuff. I think the key to doing it that way is doing it in small layers and taking your time. I would do a small layer and then mist. I would have a fan blowing on low the whole time and then about 30 minutes later I would do the second layer and so on.... It took a while and I let it sit for at least a month or so. It did shrink a little but not much. Then I just carved it and put silicon with coco fiber on top.

The back is tree fern panels. I was thinking about coco fiber but couldn't find any in the states to buy at the time. It wasn't too expensive. A lot of orchid places sell it.

Vivariums are fun because there are tons of ways to build them.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The viv looks great!! Thanks for the link, too... very informative! I'm still trying to figure out which Den I want... azureus, leucomelas, auratus... the tintorius looks nice, but pumilio is VERY nice ...decisions, decisions {D

I'm happy with my little Dumpy for now.. :rolleyes:

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm putting a few Dendrobates auratus in there.

Yeah, frogs are about like tarantulas......and then you start getting into the plants and orchids and you've got yourself a full time hobby{D .

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Haha... I'm already into the plants and stuff cuz I use a lot of them in my Crested Gecko vivs. Not only am I a gecko geek :p but I'm also a plant nut! I have or'kids, tills, broms, violets, ferns, you name it... it's here! :D

Do you only have auratus? Or others as well?

I really like the azureus and leucomelas. Someone once said, their azureus "vibrated" when they were feeding. Is there any truth to that?

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I only have auratus right now. I'd like to setup more tanks but my apartment is getting kindof full. I'm also in the process of building an iguana cage and another project.

I can't wait for it to grow out. The zoomed 501 puts out a somewhat weak stream for this but it's doing a good job. It is very quiet as well.

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
more pictures

Here are some more pictures. If you have any questions please let me know. Most of the informative content is in the link to dendroboard in the first post.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Great Viv! :clap: What ya gonna keep in it, sorry if I missed it.

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here are some more pictures. If you have any questions please let me know. Most of the informative content is in the link to dendroboard in the first post.

Mind if I ask about the hole? Is it just from a plant that hasn't been placed yet or is there another reason for it?

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It looks really good! I can't wait to see the auratus in it!! :D

Btw, what are the orchids? I saw at least 2 in there.

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep two Dendrobates auratus in there.

The holes are actually a split open seed or nut pod or something that comes from the tropics. I fill them with water to encourage breeding and laying eggs in there.

The orchid in the back is a Brassavola cordata. By the seedpod hole there is a Dendrobium orchid. I forget which species it is but I can find out. It stays pretty small. Then there is the discolor in the front left.

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The front of the tank has a portion that has more water spots on it but they aren't a big deal at all. It looks pretty decent even with the spots.....I keep some paper towels nearby for when guests come over.

The tadpoles are pretty small....I'm sure you can find out more about the tadpoles from that link in the first post. Dendroboard is a great site.

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I suppose that is an option but I only wipe it down right now if people come over or I'm just wanting to sit and stare at it. Plus I haven't installed any fans yet and that should take care of the problem.

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The fan has been installed and it does the trick. This lighting setup is only temporary for now but it does work. This picture is a little over exposed but you can see where most of the light is hitting anyway. It's not that bright when looking at it.

iucandi

Arachnopeon
Dude, sweet vivarium! I want that waterfall :)

Long time no talk! Hope you're doing well