February Scorpion Hunting Bonanza in Scottsdale, AZ!!

axle37

Arachnosquire
do scorps caught later instars/adulthood make the transition from wild to captive well?

Keister

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
do scorps caught later instars/adulthood make the transition from wild to captive well?
They can if you stress them out as little as possible for as long as possible. You just have to have everything set up before you get them and it really helps if you mimic their natural environment as much as possible.

Scorpion Tom

Arachnoknight
They can if you stress them out as little as possible for as long as possible. You just have to have everything set up before you get them and it really helps if you mimic their natural environment as much as possible.
It really helps if you go that. If you find a gravid one, this is a must! This is what I have done with mine.

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that's quite the haul. are bark scorps very aggressive? and jw, what did you use to apprehend them?
I used an LED-based UV flashlight (I could easily see them from 10-15 feet away) and a pair of 6-inch tweezers with small/thin pieces of foam glued to their tips. My tweezer modification prevents injuries caused by crushed metasoma segments. Top that off with an empty deli cup and I was having quite the hike! FYI - the time was 8:30-10pm local AZ time.

Jeff

Scorpion Tom

Arachnoknight
thanks Jorpion, my great-aunt is coming in from chicago and we are going to that resort next weekend, were thay just on the ground or all over?
Tommy

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Absolutely! When they arrived in the mail (I did NOT take them on the plane LOL), I placed them all in a 10-gallon that I always have setup for "new acquisitions" and have left them alone since. Needless to say, they are doing very well. I threw in 20 very small B. dubia nymphs last night and as of this morning there are no more roaches and plenty of fat scorps. I plan on moving them to a permanent 20-gallon communal setup complete with plenty of rocks and cork bark. I took plenty of pictures of their habitat so I could replicate it to the best of my ability. I'll keep everyone posted.

Jeff

---------- Post added 02-14-2012 at 02:30 PM ----------

thanks Jorpion, my great-aunt is coming in from chicago and we are going to that resort next weekend, were thay just on the ground or all over?
Tommy
Tommy,

PM me with your email address and I'll send you a Google Earth screenshot noting the EXACT places where I found them.