February Scorpion Hunting Bonanza in Scottsdale, AZ!!

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been in Scottsdale, AZ for the past 4 days at a Sony PlayStation Gaming Conference for game publishers. Last night and tonight I decided to hike around the resort to hunt for scorpions with my CREE LED UV flashlight, not expecting to find anything. Well, after 3-4 hours of exploring the rocky outcrops near the hotel I found HUNDREDS of C. sculpturatus literally crawling all over. I collected about 80 (see the two pics from both days) and couldn't be ANY happier. I learned a few things about their habitat and behavior:

- Night time temps were in the mid 60's to low 70's
- Humidity was around 20-40%
- 90% were found on the ground in piles of small rocks. They may be called "bark scorpions", but I noticed very few on branches and in trees... LOL
- Almost all were clustered within a 1-2 square foot area (very communal in the wild!)
- Interestingly, many that I found were 1i-2i juveniles! This means that many females must have popped in January.

Let me know what you think!!!

Jeff

ScorpHunting20120207.jpg

ScorpHunting20120208.jpg

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think that is a beautiful sight, and I want some!

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome!!!! What part of Scottsdale were you in?
I was staying at the Fairmont Princess Resort. Located all these guys between the back of the hotel and the golf course! I found a bunch at green #4! I guess these C. sculps enjoyed the golf tournament earlier in the week ;) LOL

Jeff

snippy

Arachnobaron
Why did you collect so many? Would less not have sufficed?

Regards
Finn

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Regards
Finn
He should have taken more,those things are a frigging nusiance down here.It is not like they are low in numbers by ANY means.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd like to get some for a desert vivarium I'm working on. If anyone is willing to work with me on that, please PM me.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for those observations! Those are useful, not only for this species, but also as a general example. Are you going to release some of them back into their natural environment, though?:)

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had to resort to giving my adults and babies away here. If they're bad in AZ, they certainly thrive in captivity. I'm down to 24 4-5i's

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Regards
Finn
I'm very careful about not disrupting the local balance... What I collected was over an area the size of a soccer field. Additionally, for every one I took I left at least 10. There are millions upon millions all over the Phoenix area. I've been keeping this species for over 7 years now. They'll live much longer under my care than in the wild I assure you :)

Keister

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm very careful about not disrupting the local balance... What I collected was over an area the size of a soccer field. Additionally, for every one I took I left at least 10. There are millions upon millions all over the Phoenix area. I've been keeping this species for over 7 years now. They'll live much longer under my care than in the wild I assure you :)
Feel free to send some of those guys up my way!

axle37

Arachnosquire
that's quite the haul. are bark scorps very aggressive? and jw, what did you use to apprehend them?

Keister

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that's quite the haul. are bark scorps very aggressive? and jw, what did you use to apprehend them?
No they aren't too bad in general, but they all have their own personalities so some may be worse then others. Most use long tweezers and collection jars, tupper wear containers, ect....., and a black light if hunting at night.

voldemort

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow, hope I can also have two breeding trios of those stinging beauties, you are one lucky man!!!