Fear...

That_Guy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Do you fear you T's? I have always thought that the only way to have respect, is through fear. I fear them, and I also think much of them. I think that they are wonderful creatures, but I still fear them.

Do you?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am quite comfortable with the knowledge that there is a chance that I may get fanged someday. Do I want to get fanged? No. Am I somewhat cautious with them? The level of caution varies with the temperment of the particular spider. Do I respect them? Yes. Do I fear them? No. If if feared them, I wouldn't have them. I wont keep species that are reputed to have a strong venom. No muscle cramping for me thanks.

Confused?

Jon

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey dragonfly guy,

My cousin wants a stripper for her 19th birthday you good for around August?

Anyways, you shouldn't be afraid of your pets, be cautious, yes, not afraid. Why would you want something that scares the s**t out of you? Give them your respect and you'll get yours in return.

Some species, depends on how dangerous they are, require more respect then others. Respect in away, means awareness and a knowledge with what your dealing with. Don't play with fire in a wooden house, play it during the 4th of July. Wait that made no sense....

Respect also means that you know the limits to something, don't push it or you'll get something pushed back yet you....FANGS!!!

Just ate so I'm crazy. hehe

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I scared of my G. rosea because of how she acted when she arived at the pet shop. Now she seems curious about my hand and wants to climb up.I have not gott the ballz yet to let her but I know I will someday. Ive only had my T 3 weeks so I take every caution out of respect. I will probably get bit someday that reality I can live with. But I still respect It I have seen it eat and lunge straight through a cricket into the soil below with its fangs. Like the guy said before its respect not fear. Also I don't wanna drop her and have her get hurt because Im still too big a wuss !:eek:

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea I know ! I got her knowing she might not be the handleing personality. Well now she is getting settled and perking up when I open her enclosure.But im not experianced enough to know if she thinks my hand is food or wants to climb up. she puts her front two legs out and touchs my hand. So maybe you could tell me if she thought it was food would she have bit me ? Or is she just trying to explore ?

Proud wussy ;P

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'd say as long as she knows you are there and is putting her leg on your hand, she is ok with you being there. If she wasn't, she would either back off or would be raising up her front legs in a threat posture.

Sounds like you have a somewhat nice rosie, she sounds to be curious and would probably allow you to handle her.

The only T that I have that dosen't get handled is my P. formosa. Probably the biggest factor for this is her speed.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i, too, find the speed-thing a problem..

i'm not neccesarily worried about the aggressive factor. Hell if your T is that aggro/defensive, it won't be on your hand anyways, right? ;)

for me, its the speed.

I'm not a real big handler anyways. I'm from the "no real need to handle them, no point to you or the T" school of thought. Unless i need to move them or check them out or get a swab for science, of course! It is a pretty cool feeling, i have to admit.. sometimes those freaking claws...

I know there was a thread off-shoot on this subject not too long ago.

i dont think you need to fear something to respect it. I think you need to know what it can do (read: the reality of the situation), and then whether you fear it or not is moot... cos you can still respect it :)

you'll know when a T wants you far away, atmos! And maybe you don't have a handling T. No big deal, they're still really cool to watch!

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I do not fear any of my bugs. I have a healthy respect and sufficient understanding of what they are. I believe the more you learn about them, fear (if you ever had any) is replaced with respect. Also, once you get a feel for how they move, react and their body language,(please do not read as "once your bugs become predictable". That will never happen ;)) it's easy to be more relaxed around them which I believe is very important. Aware, but relaxed.

Atrax

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
No, no fear. Respect, sure, if that's what you want to call it. I treat my T's well and I know I can get bit while handling them.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't fear my T's, I know that I stand a chance of being bitten but that doesn't equal fear. I try not to put myself in a situation where I will be bitten, so there's the respect.

Andy

khayman918

Arachnopeon
I had a fear of spiders for as long as I can remember. My brother has always been able to pick up any bug no matter how creepy or crawly it was.

I always envied him for that, but about 2 weeks ago he was showing me pics of T's online and I became fascinated with them.

I just got my first T, a G. rosea, last week and I have no problem with holding it at all. Or any other spiders now for that matter. Something which I could never have done a short while ago.:8o

Its strange how quickly one can over come a fear when its viewed in a different light. T's are amazing and strangely cute creatures!;)

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I'm an archnophobic arachnoholic :8o But I don't deal with any of the more defensive OW'ers anymore and am over most of my arachnophobia. It does rear its nasty head at times when one of my large NW'ers decide to show attitude and surprise me. I am truly scared of brown recluses, I was bitten by one of these when I was 19, and scared of black widows. The recluse bite took over a month to heal and wasn't pleasant to have to look at everyday when I'd change the dressings. Before I was bitten I wasn't afraid of spiders at all. The tarantulas have really helped me to get over the phobia :D

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
i, too, find the speed-thing a problem..

i'm not neccesarily worried about the aggressive factor. Hell if your T is that aggro/defensive, it won't be on your hand anyways, right? ;)

Not usually anyway.

Adrian

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't believe fear is something bad either. Fear is another characteristic of a person that has a use to it. Fear helps us prevent ourselves from doing stupid things or pushing the limites of things we know that are limited. Without 'fear' alot of us would be in big trouble....

Just don't be a Wussy about it.....right atmosphere? COUGH WUSSY COUGH...jk hehe. ;P ;P ;P

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I dont fear its more of a respect, knowing what can harm you bad and what cant it depends on the animal i mean some T's i have no problem sticking my hand in its enclosure and some i use tongs tweezers whatever it just depends on the animal your talking about, and im talking all aniamls not just my T's

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well at least with a little fear in me no harm will come to my T from being foolish. Thats why im a proud wussy hehe. No telling how many T's have died because someone didn't know enough about there indivdual T and picked it up The T then bit them and they droped it killing it. I will know when if ever Im ready I agree with Dave the reason I got her is to watch not to handle. This is not a animal that loves you it only tolerates you at best. Some speicies I've read about on here don't even go that far. Neo do you think I should get a pokey next ! j/k ;P