Fear...

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by atmosphere
No telling how many T's have died because someone didn't know enough about there indivdual T and picked it up The T then bit them and they droped it killing it.
I totally agree! Tarantulas represent a magnet for people who want to stand out or show off, and these folks are the ones with the shaky butterfingers. Harley Davidson represents a similar magnet. Having said that, I think most (OK, many) people who are passionate about inverts and motorcycles are real enthusiasts, i.e. they're enthusiastic about a specific facet of human existence and they live accordingly. THESE PEOPLE ROCK! The remaining ones breathe a little too much.

Originally posted by RugbyDave
I'm not a real big handler anyways. I'm from the "no real need to handle them, no point to you or the T" school of thought. Unless i need to move them or check them out or get a swab for science, of course! It is a pretty cool feeling, i have to admit..
I agree again! I'm a profligate agreer. I feel so cheap. ;) I don't pick up my T's unless I have to either. I can't imagine the spider likes it, and I don't get much either. I thing people have the right to though; if someone wants to let a Stromatopelma crawl around on their soft palate, more power to them! It's the American way! In fact, I'd like a ticket to that performace. I'm an American too, Goddammit, and I crave the spectacle like everyone else. On the topic of "having to handle", I packed a mature male Theraphosa blondi for shipping recently and know just how exquisite it is to feel urticating hair wafting through ones nasal cavities. Somebody remind me why I don't keep more Old Worlders, quick.

Steve

jayco_heat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Im new to keeping T's, and i already want another. I must say though, transfering him from the pet store box to his inclosure, was a bit of a rush. I have a roomate who hates my new friend. But my fear is still healthy enough that I am VERY carefull when dealing with him. Even tho he is a semmani, who i hear are pretty docile. :cool:

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
defour said:
Somebody remind me why I don't keep more Old Worlders, quick.

Steve
I just think back to breathlessness and cramps in left arm and leg ;P

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
I had spiders for over ten years before I decided to hold any. Then I started with a G. rosea sling, and have continued to hold that one. It was a real thrill to me when it reached 3 1/2 inches - sure does feel like a BIG spider in my hand.

Now I hold all seven of my L. parahybanas without blinking an eye - ok, so they are 1/4" slings, LOL. I'm taking pictures of them on my hand now, as I doubt I'll have either the desire or courage to attempt holding any of them a few molts from now.

When I do hold a spider, I don't put my hand in the spider's container, but use tweezers or paintbrush to touch back legs and encourage the spider to go up the wall of the container. I hold an open hand alongside the top edge, so when the spider reaches the top, my hand is just an extension of the climbing surface, rather than an intruder in the spider's home. So far none of the spiders I have tried have objected to this method. The only potentially scary one is a 3/4" P. cancerides, but it seems to be too much baby still to consider biting me. (And I really don't like to hold that one, as it will run and fall off my hand every time. Much better the ones that run up the underside of my arm into my armpit... at least they don't get hurt by falling, and they get the fun of experiencing my Spider Dance.)

As to Fear... I don't usually fear any of my spiders. Respect them highly as beings who have a right to be treated well - and I mean well by Their standards. BUT when it came time to transfer Chilobrachys sp. Asian Smoky to a new home, adrenalin levels went sky high when I was treated to a show of what a big, aggressive spider can be like at close quarters. Thankfully not a runner, just didn't want to be disturbed. And I will NEVER forget the sound of rapidfire fangs hitting a stainless steel spidey-herding spatula. DING DING! (Spider won that round. Wasn't gonna be herded anywhere. I ended up putting a plastic pitcher over spider, crowding it in and sliding it out into new home.)

word

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i don't really fear mine but i don't handle them unless absolutely necissary and even then i wear leather gloves.

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't mind owning up to having had an irrational fear of spiders. I got it from my mother. Mine was a watered down version, but it's still there deep down.

I became interested in spiders BECAUSE of my fear. I recognised that it was inappropriate and decided to do something about it. I didn't want to pass it on to my kids.

I think that the worst tarantula owners sometimes display a macho need to prove that "I aint scared". I don't like to see people showing off how brave they are. It's cringeworthy.

My tarantulas have provided enough conditioning for me that I can easily deal with catching and handling harmless UK spiders. That was a big step. Now I can laugh at other people when they scream and run. I can pick up the little arachnid and dispose of it for them.

I handle my tarantulas only when neccessary. I don't handle my fast species at all, because I'm the only person in the house who CAN handle tarantulas. I don't have someone who can help remove a tarantula that ends up somewhere difficult to get to. My wife would just leave the building and lock the doors.

I do enjoy the thrill of holding my NW terrestrials. Their calmness and docility is always a rewarding experience.

Oh dear. I can't remember what my point was going to be.

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fear my Ts?
Um... only if they all got out.
I'd be really afraid of the T blondi and P murinus the most. The other guys and girls.... well, they'll turn up eventually...

littlefoot

Arachnopeon
khayman918 said:
I had a fear of spiders for as long as I can remember. My brother has always been able to pick up any bug no matter how creepy or crawly it was.

I always envied him for that, but about 2 weeks ago he was showing me pics of T's online and I became fascinated with them.

I just got my first T, a G. rosea, last week and I have no problem with holding it at all. Or any other spiders now for that matter. Something which I could never have done a short while ago.:8o

Its strange how quickly one can over come a fear when its viewed in a different light. T's are amazing and strangely cute creatures!;)
I completely agree with you on this! For most of my 21 years I've been irrationally scared of all spiders and until a few weeks ago, while viewing pictures online, I seem to have overcome this. It's really quite interesting (and strange, like you said) how for so long I thought they were so spooky and dangerous just by looking at them and now I find myself longing for one (or twenty) or my own! However, I can't say I wouldn't be a bit nervous if I had to put my hand out for one, though it would be a lot easier now. :D :eek:

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
luther said:
I don't have someone who can help remove a tarantula that ends up somewhere difficult to get to. My wife would just leave the building and lock the doors.
LMAO!!!

Fear is something that isn't defined in a clear cut way as it takes many shapes and form. Everyone reacts differently when faced with fear, there are different triggers of it and most importantly, different levels of intensity. It can range from a absolutely debilitating phobia to a reaction of becoming more "uncomfortable".

In my case I've never been phobic of spiders, I've always found them to be fascinating and beautiful. I have though, experienced some moments with spiders where I felt some fear on different levels.

For example, my "deal" with housespiders (for as long as I can remember) is that they can live in my house and I wont bug them as long as they reside in the "upper half" of my dwelling. That means, if I see one on the ceiling or high up somewhere it's fine and I don't think twice about it. But if it comes down and I bump into it, it's a gonner. Wierd, I know, but it works well for me :)

With my tarantulas I have experienced fear on many occasions! The most intense moments were: transfering my usumbara and cobalt blue.The worst one was almost losing my stromatopelma calceatum!!! I almost had a heart attack with that episode!

I think it's normal and healthy to experience some fear when dealing with Ts.

Pixie