Favorite cheap tarantula?

Zeph

Arachnosquire
Of all my tarantulas, I think my favorite might be my C. fasciatum, which is tied for my cheapest spider at $7. It recently molted and is starting to show its beautiful adult pattern! It's also one of the more active and interesting of my T's, being my only avid webber besides the Avics.

I've seen videos/photos of adults and I think they're one of the most beautiful species out there. I hear they can be aggressive, but they're so fun to watch and I don't need to handle my T's. People don't say much good about them, but I have to say, for $7 I would keep it over one of my more expensive T's.

What are some of your favorite cheap ones and why?

Last edited:

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A lot of my tarantulas were on the cheap side: my two H. macs were $20 each and my Chilobrachys guangxiensis were $10 each. Still, though, my favorite and cheapest tarantulas are probably my OBTs. $15 for my 2-inch and $7 each for my 4 slings. I just have a thing for baboons I guess.

EndofTime

Arachnopeon
I love the look of the C. Fasciatum, but I never find super cheap deals on them whenever I can get T's usually. (Which is sad since atm I only have 2 fairly common ones...)

I would say Rosea's myself. Their colors can really pop once moulted, and they are some of the oddest T's imo with such crazy and unpredictable personalities and actions. I've always liked LP's though, and OBT's for their "thrill" factor.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
B. vagans, P. irmina, P. regalis. some of the nicest looking spiders in the hobby and even just two years ago were all able to be obtained for under $10 a sling. same with G. pulchripes being a stellar and cheap starter tarantula. of the four i think only P. regalis have gone up since then.

unfortunately, if anything it seems like G. pulchripes and B. vagans have fallen a bit out of favour, but i guess trends will ebb and flow in the hobby like anything else.

Of all my tarantulas, I think my favorite might be my C. fasciatum, which is tied for my cheapest spider at $7. It recently molted and is starting to show its beautiful adult pattern!
it's funny i remember C. fasciatum (or pentalore, whatever) being about that price here and easily obtained. i don't see them around that much anymore or anyone talking about them, which is tragic because they are pretty cool. i just can't bring myself to pay the inflated prices i see them at currently.

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
P. irminia. Got my female as a sub-adult (2 molts ago) and payed 30 EUR, though my sling came at 7 EUR (which seems to be the normal current price over here) - stunningly beautiful with a spark of feistyness and paired with lightning fast speed...simply awesome. In general, it would seem that irminia and cambrdigei are both really cheap over here, since they are constantly bred. However, reduncus, langenburcheri and even pulcher are generally more expensive.

Tweak

Arachnosquire
Obt got mine for $10 and I love that little bugger! Watching it stalk crickets around its enclosure is well worth the small investment lol

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
of the four i think only P. regalis have gone up since then.
It's unfortunate, and I really don't know why this is. Seems to me that they're being bred fairly often. Maybe it's a demand thing? Either way, I really wish I could find regalis slings for $10.

kalebo1

Arachnosquire
I recently purchased my B. Smithi for $18. This is my very first tarantula and I am already hooked. This is a wonderful hobby. I am glad I have taken the plunge!!!

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
I'm shocked no one said Honduras Curly Hair/Leg (brachypelma Albopilosum). I got my 2nd instar sling for $1 and this species is probably my favorite as far as docile/catatonic nature and ease of handling. Plus, it's uniquely adorable! (it's about 2" now, after a year and a half)

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
A lot of my tarantulas were on the cheap side: my two H. macs were $20 each and my Chilobrachys guangxiensis were $10 each. Still, though, my favorite and cheapest tarantulas are probably my OBTs. $15 for my 2-inch and $7 each for my 4 slings. I just have a thing for baboons I guess.
Must agree. OBT's are absolutely stunning. Plus, they're usually dirt cheap.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you should have put a cap on price to help answer this question... to SOME 40$ could be considered cheap while to others 10 is their idea of cheap.. to me there are a TON of tarantulas you can get for 25$ or less that are amazing, so its hard to answer honestly.
Lp
B. albo
G. pulchripes
P. regalis
A. avic
A. versi
C. fimbriatus
etc.. the list COULD go on, and for the right price they could ALL be my fav of the week
Planning on acquiring some I. hirstum real soon from a highly credible source for around 20 a piece so im stoked on that

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's unfortunate, and I really don't know why this is. Seems to me that they're being bred fairly often. Maybe it's a demand thing? Either way, I really wish I could find regalis slings for $10.
they're pokies which puts them at a demand, and even if people are CB breeding them they still have lower sac yields (~130-150max iirc) than most other tarantulas. i think the market may have just been flooded with a bunch of them for a short time as i'm quite well aware they were worth $15-20 when they were selling for $7 ;)

maxxxieee

Arachnopeon
seems to be an old thread but I love my LD! (under $30 when I purchased him (course we were not sure if it was a him or a her at the time of purchase) I think they're all good! )

obtenthusiast

Arachnopeon
All my Ts were fairly cheap but I got 6 obts for 12 bucks and traded one for a lp. And I bought a rose hair for 7 bucks. The only one im gonna spend money on anytime soon is A Singapore blue. They are about 56 bucks for a sling which sucks cuz you don't know what sex your getting but if you land a f they stay this amazing blue but the males will turn from blue to yellow after maturity. Either way a beautiful spider. :)