Favorite Asian Arboreals

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Just it general, the intention of the post was to see what other people liked, sometimes I see something I might not know alot about. Like c sp hati hati, that is one that is on my radar. Most likely not now, but in the future.
Omothymus/Cyriopagopus/Ornithoctoninae (whatever you prefer) sp. "Hati Hati" is a miniature Omothymus/Cyriopagopus/Ornithoctoninae (again, whichever you prefer) sp. "Sumatra" but IMO prettier coloring with a more defined abdominal pattern.
O/C. sp. "Hati Hati" are a smaller Asian arboreal only reaching around 6".

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dont have any hati hait but have owned plenty schioedtei, and still do in fact (1.2.0) .. id imagine theyre very similar.
Beautiful looking, attitude, nice size.

Ornithoctoninae are all amazing regardless which sp youre after.. just remember they demand respect.

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
P. regalis is probably my favorite, the contrasting pattern is probably the best among the pokies.

Other Asian arboreals which I like are P. metallica, O. schioedtei (sorry you're not No.1) and P. everetti in no particular order.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Omothymus/Cyriopagopus/Ornithoctoninae (whatever you prefer) sp. "Hati Hati" is a miniature Omothymus/Cyriopagopus/Ornithoctoninae (again, whichever you prefer) sp. "Sumatra" but IMO prettier coloring with a more defined abdominal pattern.
O/C. sp. "Hati Hati" are a smaller Asian arboreal only reaching around 6".
The more i've tried researching the more I've realized half of the asian arboreals don't have proper names and it seems half of the ones that do are disputed like the LV/OV.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I've only got 3. Poecilotheria Tigrinawesseli, Poecilotheria subfusca LL and a Cyriopagopus hati hati.

Of those I see my hati hati girl the least, not including her feet. So although I don't have a favourite seeing her feels the best.

Finally got to see her yesterday completely out and about and managed to record a video.

This is a screen shot of the paused vid so it's bloody terrible quality. But that's my girl.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
The more i've tried researching the more I've realized half of the asian arboreals don't have proper names and it seems half of the ones that do are disputed like the LV/OV.
Concerning Lampropelma violaceopes, it's hard to argue Omothymus is valid... The WSC rejected the change. The WSC and the people against that revision are in agreement. Whereas, most of that revision was accepted by the WSC which is still controversial and will be debated untill it's inevitable change.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Its officially back to Lv... for now haha

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've only got 3. Poecilotheria Tigrinawesseli, Poecilotheria subfusca LL and a Cyriopagopus hati hati.

Of those I see my hati hati girl the least, not including her feet. So although I don't have a favourite seeing her feels the best.

Finally got to see her yesterday completely out and about and managed to record a video.

This is a screen shot of the paused vid so it's bloody terrible quality. But that's my girl.

Stunning spiders!

If theyre ANYTHING like schioedtei, theyll burrow a ton as slings and become more visible as they grow.
Ive also noticed theyll adapt to whatever conditions you give them
One of my juvie schioedtei females still burrows, as ive given her a lot more substrate, while the other is 100% visible at all times with less sub and cork tube hide. She likes to be out and about!

Curious as to how youre keeping yours

basin79

ArachnoGod
Stunning spiders!

If theyre ANYTHING like schioedtei, theyll burrow a ton as slings and become more visible as they grow.
One of my juvie schioedtei females still burrows, as ive given her a lot more substrate, while the other is 100% visible at all times with less sub and cork tube hide. She likes to be out and about!

They're all adults. Pokies have large cork bark tubes that are buried underground and my hati hati burrows.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Stunning spiders!

The back of the hati hati enclosure.

boina

Lady of the mites
I'm a fan of the whole Omothymus/Cyriopagopus/Lampropelma group. L. nigerrimum is stunning and, of course, BLACK! O. schioedtei are among the most beautiful spiders ever in my opinion, although I don't see a lot of them except feet. My hatihati is actually less shy than her schioedtei cousins and much more laid back, so I see her quite a bit. I'm not into blue spiders, so I'm not that interested in the LV. They are all great, though. I haven't had Pokies long enough and all mine have done so far is hide and molt, so I don't know yet whether I really love them or just like them.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
If your going the Lampropelma route. I'd recommend nigerrimum. Less common and IMO prettier than violaceopes or nigerrimum arboricola (what you not up to date people call sp. Borneo Black)
If your going the Lampropelma route. I'd recommend nigerrimum. Less common and IMO prettier than violaceopes or nigerrimum arboricola (what you not up to date people call sp. Borneo Black)
The Lv's is much more colourful than the nigerrimum, female of course, the males are well drab in comparison.....

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I'm a fan of the whole Omothymus/Cyriopagopus/Lampropelma group. L. nigerrimum is stunning and, of course, BLACK! O. schioedtei are among the most beautiful spiders ever in my opinion, although I don't see a lot of them except feet. My hatihati is actually less shy than her schioedtei cousins and much more laid back, so I see her quite a bit. I'm not into blue spiders, so I'm not that interested in the LV. They are all great, though. I haven't had Pokies long enough and all mine have done so far is hide and molt, so I don't know yet whether I really love them or just like them.
My P.Metallica is always out on display looking stunning, it has a cork bark tube for a hide, I've had it (unsexed) from a 2cm sling and is now a 4 inch beauty in a matter of 8 months, has molted 6 times whilst I've had him/her.

basin79

ArachnoGod
My P.Metallica is always out on display looking stunning, it has a cork bark tube for a hide, I've had it (unsexed) from a 2cm sling and is now a 4 inch beauty in a matter of 8 months, has molted 6 times whilst I've had him/her.
I literally never saw my lass out.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
My O. Schioedtei is only 2cm at most, I've had it for 3 weeks now, it's made itself a lovely home, with tube webs and decorating the webbing with substrate, 3 entrances to its burrow, so I don't see it much but I know it's eating as boluses are kindly left in the same place all the time, lovely sp. will be delighted once he/she has grown a bit so I can see it more often.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
The Lv's is much more colourful than the nigerrimum, female of course, the males are well drab in comparison.....
Young adult female violaceopes are colorful but I still personally like nigerrimum, I don't know how many you've seen personally but they have a gorgeous deep purple. Plus, everyone and their Mom has a L. violaceopes and P. metallica. Soo played. I have seen enough of them.

Last edited:

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Young adult female violaceopes are colorful but I still personally like nigerrimum, I don't know how many you've seen personally but they have a gorgeous deep purple. Plus, everyone and their Mom has a L. violaceopes and P. metallica. Soo played. I have seen enough of them.
Well Violaceopes has been on my wish list for a while, but I've already crossed off P. Metallica. I was lucky and my P. Met was one of the few that spent the vast majority of its time out of its hide, and since the prospect of having that luck again is unlikely its not a species I really care about right now. Plus in normal lighting there colors just don't pop. Atleast if I had an L. Violaceopes I can be impressed by the size of it on the rare occasions i see it. I'll take your word on it and add l. nigerrimum to my wishlist. Colors aside their is something about the body structure of the Lapropelmas that draws me in, that sp hati hati does it for me as well.

I

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just got this beautiful but angry girl in today! I love that Lampropelma attitude 20170523_160201.jpg

Last edited:

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Well Violaceopes has been on my wish list for a while, but I've already crossed off P. Metallica. I was lucky and my P. Met was one of the few that spent the vast majority of its time out of its hide, and since the prospect of having that luck again is unlikely its not a species I really care about right now. Plus in normal lighting there colors just don't pop. Atleast if I had an L. Violaceopes I can be impressed by the size of it on the rare occasions i see it. I'll take your word on it and add l. nigerrimum to my wishlist. Colors aside their is something about the body structure of the Lapropelmas that draws me in, that sp hati hati does it for me as well.

I
Don't read into 'my opinion' too much because it's just that... Lampropelma violaceopes is certianly an impressive species. If you haven't had one, you definitely won't be disappointed.
All of the Asian arboreals hide and are usually defensive even as young as a sling. Gives them character. Lol

1" Lampropelma nigerrimum

FB_IMG_1493198043775.jpg

Last edited: