Exo Terra night glo bulbs..

hail-mike

Arachnopeon
hi, relatively new here.. if you can't tell but regardless, i was looking at <insert title here> and it says that they're infrared; i'm assuming they're just like red bulbs but blue. i was wondering your opinions and if any one has used one before? thanks..

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like them..they add a nice "glo" to the area ! :)

hail-mike

Arachnopeon
thanks for the reply, i wasn't sure if they were ok to use because no body has ever mentioned them. everyone always talks about red bulbs. it's good to know there are other options if it comes down to me getting sick of the red glow.. which i doubt {D

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah the red light hurts my eyes and disrupts my vision for prolonged use i do the blue lights ;)

-a.tabor

hail-mike

Arachnopeon
that's actually what i was thinking, my roommate uses a red bulb and after a while it'll give me a head ache. that's when i decided to look for a alternate answer for it, like i said previously i'm glad to know i have options and thank you again :clap:

hail-mike

Arachnopeon
so i got the moonlight night glo bulb and it's a black light, i wasn't expecting that. it sucks because the red bulb i have is only 25 watt and doesn't put off much heat at all :mad:

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think my brother was confused. I think we might use those blacklights for nighttime lighting, but for constant heat i use infrared bulbs that cost about $10 each.

For example, heres my closet setup, where i keep little guys and moms i want to keep an eye on.

-ryan

edit: in the jars are Hottentotta caboverdensis and mesobuthus tamulus sindicus, in the boxes are t stigmurus, l mucronatus (2.2), and hottentotta judaicus (2.2) ;)

Attachments

hail-mike

Arachnopeon
i got it from a petco that's relatively close to my house, i needed a bulb for an extra heat source and unfortunately there aren't any privately own pet shops around. it's an exo-terra 75 watt moonlight night glo bulb. i'm going to go get a red bulb tomorrow and actually make sure it's infrared. see the funny thing is is that if you go onto the exo-terra site it's says it's infrared and not uv; liars!

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmm thats odd. Petsmart/Petco is really good about returns, at least they are with me since im such frequent customer. If I were you i'd keep the blacklight anyways, it will come in handy at some point.

hail-mike

Arachnopeon
that's what i was thinking, my p. imperator is a juvenile and hard to find in the tank when she hides so it'll come in handy when i have to find her. plus it'll be nice to show off every once and a while haha.

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
see the funny thing is is that if you go onto the exo-terra site it's says it's infrared and not uv; liars!
Where? :?

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/night_glo.php said:
Night Glo Moonlight Lamp

The bulb simulates natural moonlight to allow nocturnal viewing without disturbing the animal's day and night cycle. The light emitted is bluish due to the use of blue glass. The heat generated by the bulb is minimal but enough to provide tropical night time temperatures. The lower wattage of these bulbs does not interfere with natural night drops in temperature.

Moonlight lamp
Simulates natural moonlight
Perfect for nocturnal viewing
Provides tropical night time temperatures
Stimulates breeding behavior in reptiles and amphibians
Can be combined with Repti Glo or Sun Glo for a 24 hours cycle

The Exo Terra Glow Light (PT-2052 / PT-2054 / PT-2056) is perfectly suited for the Exo Terra Incandescent Bulbs.
Which Exo-Terra website you looking at?

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i got it from a petco that's relatively close to my house, i needed a bulb for an extra heat source and unfortunately there aren't any privately own pet shops around. it's an exo-terra 75 watt moonlight night glo bulb. i'm going to go get a red bulb tomorrow and actually make sure it's infrared. see the funny thing is is that if you go onto the exo-terra site it's says it's infrared and not uv; liars!
It most definately is not UV. It is an infrared incandescent.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you were asking if UV light is bad for scorps, some so prolonged use is... i play it safe and dont use it for more then 5 min at a time.

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
no no, i know black lights are bad for them. i meant since i guess apparently it's an incandescent that makes it glow..
I use the Night Glo Exo Terra bulbs for my amphibian and some reptilian tanks. Basically the only thing they are useful for is supplying heat, and nighttime viewing but I have always found I can't see siht when viewing at night under these lights - but Im sure it helps the tank tenants immensely to see at night.

hail-mike

Arachnopeon
i see, well thank you. i find the bulb rather useless for night viewing since it doesn't put off much light well i can't really say that since it makes my scorp fluoresce.