Everything Phormictopus

gabrielgartner

Arachnosquire
That’s a good idea but I’m not sure where you’d post something like that, kind of new here 😅 I ordered a few Liphistius because of their awesome 4th of July sale. He did sent an email saying orders would be late going out. But even those dates are now almost 2 weeks ago (July 14th it said for non-preorders, July 20th for pre order). Hopefully they’re just really behind 🤞🏼
That's what I'm hoping... Just wish there better communication!

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just wanted to say this thread and your enthusiasm @Colorado Ts was instrumental in me getting my little batch of 5 Phormictopus cancerides slings about 3 weeks ago and I love the little guys. I always appreciated a ferocious feeding response and this lil guys are the embodiment of a arthropod hunter! Really excited to watch them grow up, lll post some pictures next time I feed them!

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
Just wanted to say this thread and your enthusiasm @Colorado Ts was instrumental in me getting my little batch of 5 Phormictopus cancerides slings about 3 weeks ago and I love the little guys. I always appreciated a ferocious feeding response and this lil guys are the embodiment of a arthropod hunter! Really excited to watch them grow up, lll post some pictures next time I feed them!
Been dying to find P cancerides

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Been dying to find P cancerides
Yeah I feel you on that man, I was lucky enough to find a shop after about a month of searching that had 1.5 inch slings at 20$ a pop, was watching them sell out like hot cakes till last 5 were left and I had to snatch em up, I'll keep an eye out for you!

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Great thread Colorado T's and everyone else who contributed. It's really getting me interested in this Genus. They maybe an intermediate step for me before getting into OW's. I love their colors and they seem to have some interesting behavior.
At what age do they grow out of their fossorial habits and become more terrestrial?

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Great thread Colorado T's and everyone else who contributed. It's really getting me interested in this Genus. They maybe an intermediate step for me before getting into OW's. I love their colors and they seem to have some interesting behavior.
At what age do they grow out of their fossorial habits and become more terrestrial?
I have no personal experience, but I've heard from other keepers that once they hit 3-4 inches, they stay out in the open more often!

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
My P.sp southern hispaniola slings/juveniles are between 3” & 3.75”. They have been recently rehoused and provided starter burrows...they still use their burrows as a base for resting or when they feel threatened.

Once they abandon the burrows I’ll make a note and post about it.

I love P.cancerides, I will be getting a group or groups of them in the future; there are a few Phormictopus that I’m looking for at the moment.

You get it!!!! That feeding response is just insane. I have 11 Acanthoscuria geniculata slings with very strong feeding responses...Phormictopus is just an order of magnitude above.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I shall soon be joining you in this thread, lol

I've got a Phormictopus auratus coming in couple weeks. It's my first foray into the genus and am looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about!

Though looking at the tremendous growth rate talked about here, I think I'll be giving the little guy a more roomier enclosure :)

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Surprise Moulting

My 8 Phormictopus sp southern hispaniola slings have been steadily growing this last moult cycle...well all but one.

This one sling has been spending a huge amount of time hiding in its burrow, and only venturing forth after dark. From an earlier post, when I fed the other slings med. large B.dubia roaches, this sling got a med. large B.lateralis...because I didn’t want a Dubia running around its enclosure.

When I fed all my spiders on Saturday, this spider came out and showed incredibly strong feeding responce...so I fed it a fairly large dubia because the abdomen looked shrunken. The sling finished the small lateralis roach and then proceeded to feed on the dubia for 24 hrs strait.

I checked on the spider this morning and was surprised to find an exuviae in the water dish. The abdomen is larger, but still much smaller than the carapace.

This spider has become quite skittish, hard to get images...I’ll post when I get some...

The other P.sp southern hispaniola juveniles are doing great...very active with darkening andomens. So yeah...should be moulting in the next few weeks or so.

Last edited:

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Looking forward to receiving my P auratus soon. Think around 2".

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Most Have Moulted

5 of the 8 juveniles have moulted. The juveniles are getting back into their strong feeding responses.

F21A9CFF-310C-48D0-B522-A55B95B0A917.jpeg

Sorry, my lighting is a bit bright, and the beautiful post moult colors are a bit washed out.

7905E61E-6802-4146-B4CF-B587534B4E59.jpeg

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for this thread. I'm not sure this forum's opinion on T difficulty progression, but what would you say would be appropriate gateway T's to build up to owning a P auratus? Assume the starting point are your common beginner species.

Would it go something like:
G pulchripes
GBB
A geniculata
P auratus

Different path, more steps, etc?

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
That’s a good idea but I’m not sure where you’d post something like that, kind of new here 😅 I ordered a few Liphistius because of their awesome 4th of July sale. He did sent an email saying orders would be late going out. But even those dates are now almost 2 weeks ago (July 14th it said for non-preorders, July 20th for pre order). Hopefully they’re just really behind 🤞🏼
Hey did you all get your orders yet? I'm still waiting on a order from his pre import list. Me and another guy dropped over 1k and haven't heard directly from him... And yes I picked up a Phormictopus. I hopefully have a P. Auratus coming my way...

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thanks for this thread. I'm not sure this forum's opinion on T difficulty progression, but what would you say would be appropriate gateway T's to build up to owning a P auratus? Assume the starting point are your common beginner species.

Would it go something like:
G pulchripes
GBB
A geniculata
P auratus

Different path, more steps, etc?
Youll find alot of different opinions, but phormictipus is not a hard genus. They are aggressive eaters, get very large, and can move quick when they want to. Some have nasty temperaments as well. As long as you have the basics of tarantula husbandry down youll be fine. There isn't a definite ladder of experience, its all opinion.

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Youll find alot of different opinions, but phormictipus is not a hard genus. They are aggressive eaters, get very large, and can move quick when they want to. Some have nasty temperaments as well. As long as you have the basics of tarantula husbandry down youll be fine. There isn't a definite ladder of experience, its all opinion.
Wouldn't husbandry of a T with nasty temperament and speed be significantly more challenging than with a "cute pet rock?"

I already use tweezers for my work but don't know how I'd react if a T stomped or charged me / the tweezers during work. So a T that elicits some of those traits between the docile kids and the playground bully some of the time might be helpful. The P auratus and N incei are two of my remaining wishlist T's, but if I have to stop by at the A geniculata, for example, I'm ok with getting a giant version of the C ritae to better prepare me for the end game. Or help me realize that that's as far as I want to go and don't want the stress of a pissed off T.

gabrielgartner

Arachnosquire
Hey did you all get your orders yet? I'm still waiting on a order from his pre import list. Me and another guy dropped over 1k and haven't heard directly from him... And yes I picked up a Phormictopus. I hopefully have a P. Auratus coming my way...
Ztesch, I sent you a PM.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Wouldn't husbandry of a T with nasty temperament and speed be significantly more challenging than with a "cute pet rock?"

I already use tweezers for my work but don't know how I'd react if a T stomped or charged me / the tweezers during work. So a T that elicits some of those traits between the docile kids and the playground bully some of the time might be helpful. The P auratus and N incei are two of my remaining wishlist T's, but if I have to stop by at the A geniculata, for example, I'm ok with getting a giant version of the C ritae to better prepare me for the end game. Or help me realize that that's as far as I want to go and don't want the stress of a pissed off T.
Not in the way you think. Despite their defensive nature, they provide no additional challenges than an angry Brachypelma. They do not seek out and eliminate threats. Tarantulas are not aggressive animals. If it charges, it thinks its coming for food, not a challenger who dared to enter is arena. Keep that in mind when doing maintenance and youll be just fine. if it grabs the tongs, itll usually give up quickly with a little pulling back of the implement.

Youll find no significant difference between A geniculata and Phormictopus.

Its up to you. Some people are terrified of OW spiders and refuse to keep them despite being well experienced. Others go into Poecilotheria for example immediately and do just fine. Move along at your own pace and do your research. The most important element of acquiring more "dangerous" species is common sense and good practical research.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Nope it’s been 9 weeks now and nothing. I haven’t heard from him either and just get the mass sent emails. I think updating his site, then going on vacation...just seems odd to me when you’re so far behind. I didn’t even pre-order, I ordered in stock items before the import. So it will likely be my only order from them. I can understand and be forgiving but at least reach out to me. And stop sales until you’re caught up.

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
Nope it’s been 9 weeks now and nothing. I haven’t heard from him either and just get the mass sent emails. I think updating his site, then going on vacation...just seems odd to me when you’re so far behind. I didn’t even pre-order, I ordered in stock items before the import. So it will likely be my only order from them. I can understand and be forgiving but at least reach out to me. And stop sales until you’re caught up.
I agree 100%. I get it they are behind and everything, but you would think that you would take care of your customers who have orders waiting before taking in more. I'm not all that worried that I wont get my order but it sure would be nice to be kept in the loop a bit.