Everything Phormictopus

Daniel S

Arachnopeon
X. cf immanis 1” on 03arachnids.com preimport list might interest you

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Not bad price imo. It hasn't been long since my last order so I have to hold off for a while. Otherwise my wife will kill me

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Thanks for the information guys. They do get pretty sizable based of what y’all say. @Colorado Ts is slowly making me want to get into this genus and turn over to the terrestrial “dark side” away from my almost pure arboreal collection
Yeah, I want more arboreals. Out of my 38 t's, only 4 are arboreals.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Moving Day

I finally had time and materials to rehouse all 8 of my Phormictopus sp southern hispaniola slings.

BEDAC8C0-BAFE-4F50-BD82-BC9B55FA5DE9.jpeg

The spiders have grown so much, in their AMAC boxes, that during feeding they acted as if they had no where to retreat and started throwing threat displays and flicking hairs.

C249711C-698F-47AB-997B-B285311F5357.jpeg

Most of the spiders transferred easily into their new home, others took it kind of hard and did not move easily.

CACD61CC-1F3C-49B0-95ED-FF331BB5AA11.jpeg

It took about 45 minutes to move all the spiders into their new enclosures. Because these spiders grow so large, on average, these will be intermediate enclosures. They’ll be in these enclosures until they are about 6”+/-, then they’ll be moved into larger enclosures as they approach their full size of around 8”.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Phormictopus caucus Slings Moulting

My 7 P.cautus slings are going through a moult cycle. Of the 7 slings, so far 5 have moulted...2 are still refusing food and acting irritable.

This is the first moult for with this group of slings. So far, no problems with any of the moults. The slings are housed in 3.25 oz soufflé cups, on a moist coco fibre substrate. Some of the soufflé cups have a fine mist moisture condensation when I check them biweekly for feedings.

What I have noticed with this moult, is that the slings do not look appreciably larger. They've grown a little bit, but the incredible grow that I've seen and experienced with my other Phormictopus species...is not evident. The blues are much more intense with the slings that have moulted, and that is to be expected...spiders tend to look amazing right after a moult. But that expected Phormictopus growth didn't really happen with this moult.

I'm still in a process of recovering my B.lateralis roach colony, so I fed the slings the very tiniest B.dubia roaches that I had on hand...of the 5 that moulted, 3 of them were very hungry and immediately took the prey items offered. The other 2 were not ready for food, and showed no interest.

I wonder if these early moults don't produce the huge growth spurts of later moults. The slings arrived at around the 3/4” to 1” size range...and the moulted slings look to be just a tad larger. We'll see what happens in the weeks that follow.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Moving Day

I finally had time and materials to rehouse all 8 of my Phormictopus sp southern hispaniola slings.

View attachment 350853

The spiders have grown so much, in their AMAC boxes, that during feeding they acted as if they had no where to retreat and started throwing threat displays and flicking hairs.

View attachment 350854

Most of the spiders transferred easily into their new home, others took it kind of hard and did not move easily.

View attachment 350855

It took about 45 minutes to move all the spiders into their new enclosures. Because these spiders grow so large, on average, these will be intermediate enclosures. They’ll be in these enclosures until they are about 6”+/-, then they’ll be moved into larger enclosures as they approach their full size of around 8”.
Niiice!! what are these new enclosures? dimensions?

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Niiice!! what are these new enclosures? dimensions?
I ordered in the enclosures off of Amazon.com.

CB86FB80-A4D0-4B70-9CE1-6B186A6E6DF4.jpeg

There are several height dimensions of this enclosure. There is a 5” height, 7” height and a 9” height. I'm using the 7” height for the Phormictopus slings. The only thing I don't like about these enclosures is there’s a sticker advertising mDesign...it’s a pain to remove, and requires acetone to get it off. But other than that, great enclosure, that is designed to be stackable.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I ordered in the enclosures off of Amazon.com.

View attachment 350910

There are several height dimensions of this enclosure. There is a 5” height, 7” height and a 9” height. I'm using the 7” height for the Phormictopus slings. The only thing I don't like about these enclosures is there’s a sticker advertising mDesign...it’s a pain to remove, and requires acetone to get it off. But other than that, great enclosure, that is designed to be stackable.
Oh i just bought one of these but the 5in height one for my gbb! but the lids are so easily opened that I decided to mod it and glue magnets under the lid and on the corners to secure it so that I taratula coudnt push it open.
But I really like these containers I’ll definitely be using these again for terrestrials!
mine had the Sticker on the top and took forever to get off 49B61564-9CD8-4E5C-9287-DBC3502AC64D.jpeg 3064CCF6-B1A9-4BEB-BC6C-DEC20EF1C65E.jpeg

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Settling In

9D93926E-BE36-491C-95A8-39CD932AE3A4.jpeg

Some of the juveniles have taken the move hard and simply walled themselves off in their burrows.

9F25D720-EEC6-432E-A76A-409849018B40.jpeg

For the most part the Phormictopus sp southern hispaniola juveniles have settled into their new homes. I see them often roaming their enclosures and exploring, ‘course when I pickup the enclosure they slip into their burrows.

71EC54D4-6F1F-4F6E-A254-2E35CDBED5CD.jpeg

Those that were out ate greedily and drug their prey items down into their burrows.

I’m still surprised at how quickly they went from 1” slings to their current size. Just crazy.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Couple of questions :

1. Are Phormictopus new worlds ?
2. Are they arboreal or terrestrial (burrowers) ?
Phormictopus species are new worlds. They are found primarily in and around the Caribbean. As a genus they are terrestrial as adults. That being said I have spoken with some breeders that state that there are some species where the slings will be very fossorial, gradually losing this tendency as they reach adulthood.

I currently have 2 species and plan on obtaining 6 more. All that I own and have researched are terrestrial.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Phormictopus cautus

076F3EB5-F4E3-4929-83B3-A217CD7863E8.jpeg

Most of my P.cautus slings have moulted. Their crazy awesome feeding responses have returned.

FA5F10AD-9A31-4D6F-9CCF-EDD4F934348A.jpeg

The B.lateralis roaches in my feeding bin have been moulting & growing, consequently, I’m feeding larger roaches to these slings...they do not care at all. They are all taking down roaches nearly their own size.

B33A8458-B843-49D6-8720-AB9E55361CB8.jpeg

I’m feeding them only once per week, until my feeder supply dwindles and I sort my breeding colony again and get some smaller roaches back into my feeder bin.

Phormictopus sp southern hispaniola

Its now been several weeks since these 8 juveniles have been rehoused into their new larger enclosures.

5304E9DC-22F7-41C1-B7B9-9D7F0E4F87D6.jpeg

I’m feeding them B.dubia roaches. A couple of the juveniles were fed adult male roaches so I could thin my population a bit. Both of those juvrniles were still feeding on the males roaches the next day...that’s more than 12 hours of strait feeding.

95EEA27D-0778-4AE5-8E5C-6CB9C0F546BC.jpeg

Those slings will not fed again for several weeks, those were huge meals.

These juveniles are all settled in. A couple have sealed themselves into their burrows...I haven’t seen them for a few weeks, ever since their rehouse basically. A couple have started webbing which is very unusual for this genus.

Very cool spiders...

gabrielgartner

Arachnosquire
Very cool! I'm still waiting on a few species from the 03arachnids import though I'm starting to think I might not actually ever see those spiders 🙄

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Very cool! I'm still waiting on a few species from the 03arachnids import though I'm starting to think I might not actually ever see those spiders 🙄
I’m starting to think the same thing. And my order wasn’t a preorder. I ordered on July 5th and finally sent them an email last week. No answer. Really frustrating 😔

gabrielgartner

Arachnosquire
I’m starting to think the same thing. And my order wasn’t a preorder. I ordered on July 5th and finally sent them an email last week. No answer. Really frustrating 😔
I wonder if there's a way we can see who's ordered from him recently and what the status of those orders is. He has a good reputation, I can't imagine he would straight up be scamming people.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
I wonder if there's a way we can see who's ordered from him recently and what the status of those orders is. He has a good reputation, I can't imagine he would straight up be scamming people.
That’s a good idea but I’m not sure where you’d post something like that, kind of new here 😅 I ordered a few Liphistius because of their awesome 4th of July sale. He did sent an email saying orders would be late going out. But even those dates are now almost 2 weeks ago (July 14th it said for non-preorders, July 20th for pre order). Hopefully they’re just really behind 🤞🏼