Everyones worst nightmare

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks!:cool:
You're lucky! That ones been #1 on my wish list for years. I'll never give up hope on owning one (or more as long as I'm hoping) someday.
Did you keep your's for the hobby aspect, or for study?

Atrax

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
What a beautiful spider!

...I'd imagine youcould charge whatever you want for those when you get the "OK" ... ;)

$200 a pop wouldn't be outrageous for such a rare, previously unavailable species... it would certainly be payback for 7 years of hard work... congratulations...

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
Thanks!:cool:
You're lucky! That ones been #1 on my wish list for years. I'll never give up hope on owning one (or more as long as I'm hoping) someday.
Did you keep your's for the hobby aspect, or for study?

Atrax
A bit of both, I'm a total amateur at best but love to get in and do a bit of research. If you like Atrax robustus you'd love Hadronyche formidabilis, just as nasty but a lot bigger. H. formidabilis gets to about 60mm cephalothorax/opisthosoma, huge for a spider that's not in the Theraphosidae. Both Hadronyche and Atrax will one day be synonymised as there are no morphological differences between the two genera. H. formidabilis is arboreal, one of about three funnel-webs that are, which just adds to the appeal.

A. robustus isn't the worst of the funnel-webs either. That title goes to Hadronyche infensa, making it the most venomous spider on the planet. The common name for H. infensa is the Fraser Island funnel-web and back when LD50 testing was allowed in Australia Dr Robert Raven and Dr Mike Gray made the discovery about the venom.

Oh, here's a pic of Hadronyche formidabilis, the monster funnel-web. You should be able to see the venom dripping from the fangs.

Cheers,
Steve Nunn

Attachments

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet
What a beautiful spider!

...I'd imagine youcould charge whatever you want for those when you get the "OK" ... ;)

$200 a pop wouldn't be outrageous for such a rare, previously unavailable species... it would certainly be payback for 7 years of hard work... congratulations...
Thanks!

The only spiders I'll be exporting are the captive bred slings, so I won't be going for a huge amount. The first shipment will be all Selenocosmia crassipes, here's a pic of one, an ultimate female....

Cheers,
Steve

Attachments

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I don't mind centipedes but I hate seeing my favourite invertebrate die to one. Put that centipede in with a Goliath who can kill venomous snakes such as the fer de lance or however its name is spelled.
Then you'll see the tables turned.. I doubt a big centi could take a large tarantula.
But saying that theres always luck :D
Ive even seen 8'+ centipedes get the <EDIT> kicked out of them by a russian hampsters and get eaten...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
I don't do scorps or pedes, but have respect for them both. I do have a curiousity as to who would win if two of the more aggressive sp. had it out. Who would be in the ring and who would win?

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Holy old thread Batman!:eek: ;)
I don't like centipedes, they creep me right out. They are fast and bitey and slithery! But I think millipedes are cute.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
heh yea this is really old...but it still lives on...ive been thinking of getting into scorps and pedes lately...are pedes much faster than ts? seems to be some emphasis on their speed. how about compared to p irminia or a poeci?

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had a nice encounter with my first pede.. I'd bought it online it came delivered with a sign on it saying very venomous centipede lol.. the thing was 8-9' long and looked cool.

So I let it settle down in an enclosure my friend supplied the soil..
I left it for a minute and was misting the tank.. it used its legs to hoist itself up and grabbed my arm.. it ran all the way up my arm, I instinctively freaked and flung it.

Well anyway long story short it died because the soil my friend gave me had mites in it, they congreagated in the pedes joints and a day later it was dead :/

luna

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
who would win? how often have I heard some variation of this?

Mr Ed said:
I do have a curiousity as to who would win if two of the more aggressive sp. had it out. Who would be in the ring and who would win?
As a teacher who keeps most of my inverts in school, it alway comes down to that... Regardless of what my new prize pet may be, the students want it to challange some other class pet to a duel to the death.

Didn't Discover chanel have a show based on this concept a couple of years ago?

Cheri

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Great:wall: Now the "Everybody on the Boards Hates Me" thread in the WH is resurrecting threads in other forums. :evil:

I thought of keeping pedes but the luck I've had lately with escapees (2 snakes and tokay hope they don't end up im my neighbors apt.) and their rep for being able to escape, the last thing I need is an escaped pede.

luna said:
Didn't Discover chanel have a show based on this concept a couple of years ago?
I think its called Animal Face-Off and I still catch occasionally on Animal Planet.

Maybe you make a scientific excercise for these "hypothetical" death duels for the children similiar to what they do on the show. Have the kids list out the advantages and disadvantages of each and based on the data make an educated decision on who'd win.

mackids

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know I am prob late in this discussion. A few months back I was hunting for bugs to feed my spiders in the back yard. I found a few centipede between 1 and 2 inches. I threw one into my sisters Avicularias tank. The avic immediatly jumped on it and as quickly as she jumped on it she jumped right back and off. even the smallest of centipedes has a bad attitude. therefore I would put my money on any centipede large or small

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The_Phantom said:
THATS HORRIBLE !!! THOSE THINGS ARE....HIDEOUS !!!! No hair ! Too many legs !! SICK !!! UGH !!! Circle of life my @$$ !!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :(
I find centipedes to be very interesting pets

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Texas pede

About 45 years ago my sergeant and I were driving by the motopool
when he suddenly stopped in the middle of the road. "What the hell's that?
" he said. I answered that I didn't know and we both climbed out of the
3/4 ton truck to get a closer look. It was a Texas pede maybe 9 inches.
Huge! He walked up to it boldly and when he got a couple of feet away
the pede lifted it's red head up and charged toward him. Yow!!! He backed
off quickly. Next the thing headed for me, well I had a few run ins with Ts
already but this thing was sooo creepy. The Sarge suddenly stomped it with
his combat boot. it barely reacted and attacked again. Whew! After a
dozen stomps it finally succumbed and both of us got back in the truck
hoping not to see another one of those ever. When you are out on a military
camping trip in a sleeping bag on the ground, you think about these things