Everyones worst nightmare

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey

Anyone know of any Tarantulas that eat pedes in the wild?

U

Unregistered

Re: Hey

Originally posted by Alonso99
Anyone know of any Tarantulas that eat pedes in the wild?
I guess it's a possibility. I know that more often it's the 'Pede that eats the T's

Atrax

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
if the spider got the drop on a centipede, then my moneys on the spider. One on one, the centipede. But i would say they would rather avoid each other. The spider in the pic must have been dying or dead already.

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey King Looey

I saw ur old post about the Chicken eating T, its seems pretty cool know more info on it?

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by King_Looey
if the spider got the drop on a centipede, then my moneys on the spider. One on one, the centipede. But i would say they would rather avoid each other. The spider in the pic must have been dying or dead already.
If the T did get the jump on the 'pede, it would still most likely suffer a fatal bite from the 'pede. I wouldn't bet in favor of a T actually getting so far as to attack, kill and eat the 'pede. I'm sure that there have been a few (very few) lucky T's who have enjoyed a nice Centipede meal, but in comparison the 'pedes have the advantage by far. ;)

Here's an example of how voracious a Centipede can be...
Click the link and scroll down to the botton 2 thumbnails.
I know it's not 'pede vs. T. but it gives you an idea.

http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~reglor/invertgall/invertgall.html

Atrax

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd imagine the chicken eating spider would be the Pamphobeteus sp. that Martin Nicholus <sic> found and documented. I'm sure there's some info on it at the BTS site. I don't know if you've seen a photo but the spider closely resembles Xenesthis monstrosa (minor differences between the genera Xenesthis and Pamphobeteus)and is definately up there with the biggest of the T's.

In Australia I found an old article dating back to 1920 regarding the tarantula Selenotypus plumipes (photo of this species on Rick C. West's site, birdspiders.com) feasting on young chicks. A farmer found several chicks were missing from the roost and discovered one of these large T's had dragged the chick over fifty feet and tried to stuff it into the burrow. The farmer found the chick and tried to pick it up but noticed a fair amount of resistance, the spider was tugging on the leg and wouldn't let go. I know it sounds hard to believe but I've personally seen this species in action and I've found burrows with full grown native rats skulls in them.

Regarding the pedes I've found that some scorpions actually predate on them (Liocheles spp. scorpions on young Scholopendra spp, personal observations), never seen a T devouring one though.

Cheers,
Steve Nunn

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thats cool

sounds pretyy cool, whats the scorpion looks like

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Go to the site:
http://www.thedailylink.com/thespiralburrow/

And click on the species link, then on Liocheles waigiensis.

Anyone who's into scorpions ought to have a look at this site. It's the sister site to Australian tarantulas (mine) and is one of the most comprehensive scorpion sites on the net.

They pretty much resemble the flat rock scorpion.

Cheers,
Steve

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One of these spiders would be the best spider ever to have in a collection. I think it is time for you to start rounding them up and smuggling them toNorth America to do some captive breeding.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you're speaking of the "Chicken Spider", there are several sp. of Pamphobeteus already in the hobby.
I really hate to sound "preachy" but statements like "I think it is time for you to start rounding them up and smuggling them toNorth America" are brobably not the best thing to have here on the board. The wrong person could read that and take it seriously or could assume that you're serious. Plase don't take this the wrong way Jacen, but you know how damn fanatical some of the anti bug organizations can be. The last thing we need to be doing here is giving them ammo. Everything we do here to promote the safe and responsible hobbyist image can easily be torn down by a matter of just a few words. Like I said, please don't think I'm trying to be holier than thou, just be aware that it doesn't take much to set the folks off who can make a strong case against keeping inverts as pets.

;)

Laters.
Atrax

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: hey

These chicken spiders, anyone have one?
I'm not sure about which particular sp. of Pampho the article I read was about, but I can look around and see if I can find it again. Possibly antinous but don't quote me on that. Believe me though, just about any sp. of Pampho fullgrown are big, voracious and strong enough to do the same thing. (drag a chick away from it's nest etc. etc..) :)

Atrax

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Australia

When I asked Australia I was referring to The Scorpion, I know those Tarantulas are from South America.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Australia

When I asked Australia I was referring to The Scorpion, I know those Tarantulas are from South America.
This genus of scorpion (Liocheles)is found in Australia, P.N.G., and parts of Indonesia.

And to Atrax, the species of Pamphobeteus (chicken spider) is thus far undescribed, definately not P.antinous. The Pamphobeteus would have to be the most underrated species on the market, some of them are among the largest in the world and with colouring and morphology very, very similar to the Xenesthis, well, you get the picture. As a point of interest, I believe the heaviest spider ever recorded was a P. antinous, not T. blondi. Although blondi are on average heavier spiders, they don't have the record.

That should stir the pot.

Here's a piccy of Australia's chicken spider, Selenotypus plumipes. I'll be exporting these legally shortly, as soon as I get the OK from the Australian Quarrantine Inspection Service. It will be the first time these spiders have been sold overseas, legally or otherwise. I've had to prove second generation breeding capabilities which has now taken near seven years to accomplish.

Cheers,
Steve

Attachments

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the info. Pamphos are definitely in my top 3 favorite genus.

I can't wait til the exportation of the Selenotypus plumipes is good to go. Thanks for all the hard work and effort to make it all possible! :)

Laters.

Atrax

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
If you are talking about Selenotypus plumipes there aren't any outside of Australia, with the exception of the type specimen in the Brittish Museum.

I don't know if anyone other than Martin Nicholus would have the big Pamphos that are called chicken spiders.

Cheers,
Steve Nunn

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
Thanks for the info. Pamphos are definitely in my top 3 favorite genus.

I can't wait til the exportation of the Selenotypus plumipes is good to go. Thanks for all the hard work and effort to make it all possible! :)

You're welcome Atrax!!!

Good name you've got there too, I've kept Atrax and they are one nasty beast.

Cheers,
Steve Nunn