Escaped Tarantula

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Tarantula-ing
Well this little guy is definitely "Tarantula-ing" since he's found his dark, damp, and enclosed prime real estate inside my sink, but in this case he needs to stop acting like a tarantula! I'm very relieved that he's still alive and OK....it's just a matter of getting him out of there. Today I was half laughing and half cringing at the absurdity of the situation. Thankfully my S.O. is being surprisingly understanding.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
Well this little guy is definitely "Tarantula-ing" since he's found his dark, damp, and enclosed prime real estate inside my sink, but in this case he needs to stop acting like a tarantula! I'm very relieved that he's still alive and OK....it's just a matter of getting him out of there. Today I was half laughing and half cringing at the absurdity of the situation. Thankfully my S.O. is being surprisingly understanding.
yeah ive definitely never heard of a tarantula living in a sink before. Good luck on getting it out. maybe you could disconnect the sink from the rest of the pipes and put a container at the bottom of it, then it might crawl into that, maybe incite it with a heat mat like someone said (also like they said be careful about not letting it cook itself)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I tried everything to get it out and eventually thought I'd killed it, and was very sad. Well, not so fast. The next day I shined a flashlight down there and noticed webbing. The tarantula made its home in that overflow drain which is fused to the porcelain sink. I immediately plugged up the major drain and have been trying to lure it out with food. I almost succeeded but it quickly retreated at the last minute. It's been a few days now and it's still down there, happily carrying on.
Finally, the long-awaited sequel to the the legendary drain spider.

In a drain in the tub there lived a spider. Not a nasty, dirty, wet drain, filled with the hairs of men and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, dusty drain with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a spider-drain, and that means comfort.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Very good! I of course knew you were a LotR fan before you explained the username in the other thread. And you get bonus points for not using the usual go-to name, "Shelob".

I mean, sure, Shelob was a big hitter in the Third Age, but was just a house spider in comparison to Ungoliant.

Now, as to the original topic, I have an question for SpideySpinneret...you don't happen to have the ability to play tasty bass guitar licks, do you? Because the solution may be at your fingertips if so! ;)

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Very good! I of course knew you were a LotR fan before you explained the username in the other thread. And you get bonus points for not using the usual go-to name, "Shelob".

I mean, sure, Shelob was a big hitter in the Third Age, but was just a house spider in comparison to Ungoliant.

Now, as to the original topic, I have an question for SpideySpinneret...you don't happen to have the ability to play tasty bass guitar licks, do you? Because the solution may be at your fingertips if so! ;)
Sadly, no. However, I do play guitar (although I'm mediocre at it). I wonder if a guitar string might work to help scare/ flush him out of the drain. Interesting suggestion.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Get under the sink and disconnect the sink from the P-Trap, then rotate the P-Trap sideways out of the way. Plug the sink drain from the bottom...not from inside the sink. Use something like a towel or washcloth to stuff up in the drain to plug it. Place a 5 gallon bucket under the sink to catch water as there will be water from the plugonce the cloth saturates. Then use a water pitcher to carefully pour water through a funnel into the side drain of the sink. If the drain from the sink is plugged properly, the water will gradually fill the side drain.

The spider will think it’s burrow is being flooded and it should head up and come out the side drain. Be ready with a catch cup for when the spider makes its exit. Note though that the spider may stop at the mouth of the drain and require some coaxing to get it completely out.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Sadly, no. However, I do play guitar (although I'm mediocre at it). I wonder if a guitar string might work to help scare/ flush him out of the drain. Interesting suggestion.
This was not meant as a serious suggestion. Playing the bass guitar for tarantulas is an Arachnoboards meme that developed from an infamous thread:
I have Festes, my Antilles Pink Toed tarantula, and she hangs out with me all the time, she especially loves fumbling around in my hair, she goes straight for it sometimes, and she loves the bass guitar, she'll come out and hangout on it when my fiance plays.

The whole thread is quite a wild ride if you are ever looking to kill time.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
This was not meant as a serious suggestion. Playing the bass guitar for tarantulas is an Arachnoboards meme that developed from an infamous thread:

Yeah, I kind of forget that if you were not here to witness it, you may not be aware of the trainwreck that was that thread. Of course, I do my level best to keep it alive. :D Personally, I think it should be stickied. ;)

The whole thread is quite a wild ride if you are ever looking to kill time.
Or kill a few brain cells.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Good news...I finally got him out of the sink! I disconnected the sink and scared him out of the bottom by spraying compressed air into the overflow drain. He was very defensive but I managed to quickly transfer him to his enclosure. He looks healthy and I'm relieved that this debacle is finally over.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Good news...I finally got him out of the sink! I disconnected the sink and scared him out of the bottom by spraying compressed air into the overflow drain. He was very defensive but I managed to quickly transfer him to his enclosure. He looks healthy and I'm relieved that this debacle is finally over.
Wonderful news. My wife and I have greatly enjoyed this story and watching it unfold. Congratulations to your well deserved success.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I learned my lesson though.....make sure that you make sure the room where you do rehousings is completely secure. Check carefully for holes, crevices, etc. that you might otherwise have missed/ forgotten about! I'm never making this mistake again.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Did you tell your wife what had happened or Ave like you dropped a random object down there? I would have never told mine

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Did you tell your wife what had happened or Ave like you dropped a random object down there? I would have never told mine
I told my BF about it and he was surprisingly understanding, although frustrated, with the ordeal. I know that most significant others would've freaked out, so I'm thankful for his patience.