*^*%&!!! Escape!

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Okay, I am dead. Really. Sometime between yesterday evening when I last checked my T's and an hour ago, my giant whiteknee escaped. It is between three and four inches. I had the container in my MESSY room, on the dresser which has that fancyshmancy shelving beside the mirrors...so, long story short: I have nooooooooooooo clue where it is. It could have went up, it could have went down into tons of stuff. It could have been eaten by my cat, puppy, etc.
I have looked in the corner of the room, along the top of the dresser...its amazing that I never noticed there is a hole in my wall where the phone line comes in, before...and WHY do I have so much junk...
Im dead. My B/F is gonna freak right out. So will his daughter.
*sigh*. They won't be reasonable. They will be convinced that this T is gonna hunt them down just to bite them.

It had to have pushed the top off by itself. I didnt feed it last night, but I did feed the lil slings, so I know that the lid was ON when I did my checks.
So, now I am in a panic.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yikes....nothing like a T roaming the place.Keep an eye on the cat...maybe keep it in the same room.They're pretty good at detecting little creatures.I rather doubt it'll eat the T, but may just sit staring at it...pointing it out for you.I'd give that a shot anyways...but keep a close watch!...Good luck....peace...

Last edited:

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i just realized that my window was open all nite.

it is next to the dresser. So, odds are in is gone, huh?
It would have had to go DOWN to the floor then up to the window, but I assume that is probably what it did...or maybe not. ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH this is awful.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
you could always not tell your bf and his daughter that the genic got loose--and if they find it, say "oh my! i have discovered an elusive tarantula species native to michigan! do you know how important this find is?"

if i know genics (and i do) i would bet that she climbed down. possibly not all of the way down, but down anyway. she's probably hiding in a drawer somewhere, or in a shoe. be careful picking up clothes because i would imagine they would make nice burrows, too. the likelihood that she left the room is low, and i'll bet you'll find her within the next day or so.

and a word to the wise, cover up the hole in the wall--that seems like it would make a nice place for tarantula exploration.

tarantula escapes have happened to the best of us...well, not ME per se, but they've happened. the closest i've ever come to losing a tarantula was when my 3/4" versi jumped out of the vial and onto my arm. that was the day i started believing all of the versi jumping hype.

TheSpiderHouse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sorry about the runaway rapunzel. :( I'm guessing that since it is probably colder outside than inside, it didn't go out the window. Chances are also pretty good that its within 10 feet or so of the dresser. I wouldn't worry too much about your puppy or cat eating it either. I had a west highland white terrier, which is a very good breed at chasing down and killing rats, frogs, and just about anything that size. When visiting Arizona, my westy decided to "play" with an native T. The result was my westy getting a nasty bite on the nose, and being pretty sick for a couple of days. The T walked away unharmed ;) I also agree that with a genic its most likely it travelled down versus up. So, hopefully you find it soon in an adopted clothing or shoe burrow :) Good luck to you.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Speaking of shoes, remember to always check before you put your feet in the shoes. If not, one day you would feel something kinda wet and sticky inside your shoe.

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
thanks everyone..I am still searching..but now I

am wondering about the heat vent that is on the floor...about four feet from the dresser. If it went down there, I am never going to find it.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
If it went down there, you won't have to worry about finding it, as forced air heat is about the most dessicative (is that even a word?) environment I can think of. If caught in the heating system, it will probably get dried up and die within the day.

bodisky

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can you put a water source nearby? Its a good draw for a loose T.
Kerry

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
fgdfg

I don't know about the other replys, only that I'm going to tell you that.....white knees are really docile, I had 2 but now one....never even threatened me to bite.

To find it, hmmm, release some food at least so it won't die. And everyday check around for dead crickets....

TheSpiderHouse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't know about releasing food. T's can go a long long time without food, and the only way your genic would find it would be if it just happened to wander right by it. Chances are this wouldn't happen in a "messy" room. I think you might just end up with crickets running around. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't like that in my house.. and my wife would kill me ;)

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Re: fgdfg

Originally posted by Neo
To find it, hmmm, release some food at least so it won't die. And everyday check around for dead crickets....
You're kidding, right? T's can survive months without food, why would anyone bother with infesting their room with crickets after a T has been missing only a day? :)

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well, the furnace isnt on now.

Originally posted by Mister Internet
If it went down there, you won't have to worry about finding it, as forced air heat is about the most dessicative (is that even a word?) environment I can think of. If caught in the heating system, it will probably get dried up and die within the day.
We are going to hit 74 whopping degrees today. It was around 54 degrees last night, but I am so disgusted with the heating bill that even if it would have been 30 I wouldnt have turned the heat on.
I pulled the dresser(monsterous thing that it is) away from the wall and I was convinced I would find it underneath/behind..but I didn't.

I am most definetly NOT releasing food for the darn thing. Enough crickets escape as it is. Bad enough to have my T loose, loose crickets I cannot stand. It can feast upon house spiders if it feels like eating. IF it is still around.

PrincessToad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
On other boards I have read about escaped T's the advice or suggestion was to put down a damp towel in a heap. That it would be likely for the T to go to the towel for moisture.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ah man,
that sucks!!!!!

i just had en escape too! i think it was the 42 degree weather last night :)

but good luck.. id say get something moisture laden down near the cage, and good luck!

I'll PM you back with some other stuff --

good luck!!!
pce
dave

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: Re: fgdfg

Originally posted by Mister Internet
You're kidding, right? T's can survive months without food, why would anyone bother with infesting their room with crickets after a T has been missing only a day? :)
Well I have a white knee and yes CERTAIN T's can survive months, but some can't. White Knees are known to be quite the eaters. They take one cricket a day ez. Mines at home get starved in about 3 weeks. You can probably live long without eating, but without water, you'll last for a couple of days. Crickets both are for food and the much needed liquid.

Its just an idea............its up to you if you want to try it. I rather have crickets hanging around a bit than having a dead T. I know I won't die without food for a week, but...sh_t....I wouldn't like it =D

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by krystal
you could always not tell your bf and his daughter that the genic got loose--and if they find it, say "oh my! i have discovered an elusive tarantula species native to michigan! do you know how important this find is?"
Now that's got me thinking: why not call Jacen and have him find it? His temperate theraphosid tracking skills are legendary, and like all Canucks will certainly work for beer. Plus, it would be fun to see the neighborhood girls swoon.

Steve

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
funny funny funny, steve :)

i wouldn't try releasing crickets -- i don't think kim would try that anyways ;)

off shoot kind of: i don't know about other people, but i rarely find dead crickets laying around the cages. I barely find boluses (boli?) as it is. Occasionally i'll find a small bolus with substrate covering it... unless its a mouse or something, then there's a nice size bolus....

back to the issue: Just keep searching and do all the little tricks...... did you try near the computer?

good luck kim!
peace
dave

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Things I do when looking for a lost T: (Two escapees in 12 years, found 'em both!)

Remove the drawers from the dresser.
Lay on the floor.
Look in the tightest, smallest, darkest spot.
The spots I find them in usually have three sides. (I guess they feel safer?)
Do your hunting at sunset/night. They will be more apt to be on the move.
Be quiet, methodical and SLOW. You're NOT going to find her in 10 minutes.
They usually don't go long distances from their home turf.
PRAY!

Good luck, let us know on the outcome. And, if you b/f can't handle a loose T, he shouldn't be with a T lover!:D