Escape P. regalis... I think I'm going crazy.

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
I'm just a new owner, but even if you bug bomb the house, if Draychen is correct about T's being fairly resistant to spraying, I would invest in a mosquito net for your kid's bed. Maybe modify it to zip. That way, until you find that spider dead or alive, you can at least set up your kid's bed in such a way that the T can't make its way there.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Someone's been reading through my posts. ;)

That incident did result in a bite, by the way. It's in the bite reports, which is where I assume Spidershane1 heard about it.

Anyway, here's my two blunt, to the point, cents:

If there are kids in the house, it's irresponsible to keep spiders like that anywhere that poses a risk for something like this to happen. I have two sons, one is almost 3, the other is 11 days old. The spider room has glass sliding doors that SEAL and LOCK, so if I do make a mistake, anything that escapes is contained in that room and can't get into the rest of the house.

I realize my particular setup isn't something most people have, but it's your responsibility to protect yourself, your children, and anyone else in your home against something like this from happening. Those spiders need to be in a room, cabinet, closet, or something that is sealed off from the rest of the house.

All that being said, if I were in your situation, I'd vacate and bug bomb the house. One spider isn't worth thousands of dollars in hospital bills, angry parents, cops knocking on your door, and potentially having the rest of your spiders taken away.

Don't wait. Bomb the house.
Chastising someone about irresponsibility AFTER THE FACT isn't necessary, when there is danger still lurking. You aren't making yourself look like some Angelic Being here when you were just quoted in this same thread of having a Cobalt Blue crawling on you in your bed and being bitten. Obviously your sliding doors weren't locked.:mad: Someone is in a panic and needs assistance on WHERE people think the tarantula would be.

P. regalis means fast. I found an escaped Lp sling a good 50 ft from it's enclosure before. Also found G. rosea slings in other rooms far from their initial enclosures. These are slow walkers for the most part. So in the event of a P. regalis we're talking fast, and high. I wouldn't be so quick to assume looking near the enclosure anymore. I'd venture out into the home now. And always looking higher than low.

If you feel it's in AC vents, there is a shot you can turn on the coldest of air and flush it out or it's possible to escape through these vents outside. As they won't sit still for very long. As others also said, If you continue to feel panic stricken, defog the home twice, and hope you find her dead unfortunate as it sounds, it's far better than an injured child or adult for that matter.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Chastising someone about irresponsibility AFTER THE FACT isn't necessary, when there is danger still lurking. You aren't making yourself look like some Angelic Being here when you were just quoted in this same thread of having a Cobalt Blue crawling on you in your bed and being bitten. Obviously your sliding doors weren't locked.:mad: Someone is in a panic and needs assistance on WHERE people think the tarantula would be.

P. regalis means fast. I found an escaped Lp sling a good 50 ft from it's enclosure before. Also found G. rosea slings in other rooms far from their initial enclosures. These are slow walkers for the most part. So in the event of a P. regalis we're talking fast, and high. I wouldn't be so quick to assume looking near the enclosure anymore. I'd venture out into the home now. And always looking higher than low.

If you feel it's in AC vents, there is a shot you can turn on the coldest of air and flush it out or it's possible to escape through these vents outside. As they won't sit still for very long. As others also said, If you continue to feel panic stricken, defog the home twice, and hope you find her dead unfortunate as it sounds, it's far better than an injured child or adult for that matter.
Flush it out with the AC? Great advice. :wall:

Maybe you should learn how to read, check the bite reports, and see that my bite was something like..oh, I don't know...eight years ago?

Do your research, get some experience, and maybe then you can come on here acting like you actually know what you're talking about.

Until then, stick to reading.

Last edited:

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Maybe you should learn how to read, check the bite reports, and see that my bite was something like..oh, I don't know...eight years ago?
Shame on you for being the hobby so long Joe. Shame shame! :rolleyes:

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon

Maybe you should learn how to read, check the breeding reports, and see that my bite was something like..oh, I don't know...eight years ago?

Do your research, get some experience, and maybe then you can come on here acting like you actually know what you're talking about.

Until then, stick to reading.
You don't even know me. And I've read a ton of your posts in threads and you provide nothing of substance but a very rash mouth. I don't respect anything you've offered in ANY post I've read from you, just as you've offered nothing here but more of "your elitist attitude" and you speak to people like they are beneath you on the internet.

If they think it's in the AC vents or air ducts, and they are concerned with their child's safety, why wouldn't turning the COLD AIR on a tarantula that dwells in 100+ degree temps as the norm not be good advice? BEFORE defogging the home? Would you rather it set up shop high up in AC ducts or walls and come out at night to hunt? Is that your advice?

And whether it was 8 years ago or not, it was still irresponsible and stupid on your part, especially with such a vicious tarantula such as the H. lividum. Since you're such the expert.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
And whether it was 8 years ago or not, it was still irresponsible and stupid on your part, especially with such a vicious tarantula such as the H. lividum. Since you're such the expert.
Tarantulas aren't vicious. You make it sounds like methodically plot to attack people or something.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas aren't vicious. You make it sounds like methodically plot to attack people or something.
Look don't turn this thread into silliness. Who cares what you think? If it's not vicious to you then keep it to yourself. The thread is about someone who seeks help in a dire situation. You people have got to be kidding with your attitudes. If I gave bad advice with the AC ducts (which I'd like to hear reasoning why it's bad advice) then I apologize to the OP.

But I'm here to help with thoughts on HOW to find the T. Not debate with you on what tarantula is vicious or not. Are you kidding me?

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
why wouldn't turning the COLD AIR on a tarantula that dwells in 100+ degree temps as the norm not be good advice?
If you bothered to do a little bit of research you would have found that P. regalis, as well as most other Poecilotheria species, are actually found in subtropical climes and often cool montane forests in the wild where temperatures range from the 60s to low 80s; and therefore are very tolerant of lower temperatures (in fact a few species REQUIRE low temps to thrive in captivity). How about you get your facts right before trying to give "good advice"?

By the way, even if the spider in question was intolerant of lower temperatures, cold air would simply make it sluggish and inactive, and all the spider would do is find a crevice in which to hide, because spiders are cold blooded and cannot regulate their own body temperature. Some great advice you've got, eh?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You don't even know me. And I've read a ton of your posts in threads and you provide nothing of substance but a very rash mouth. I don't respect anything you've offered in ANY post I've read from you, just as you've offered nothing here but more of "your elitist attitude" and you speak to people like they are beneath you on the internet.

If they think it's in the AC vents or air ducts, and they are concerned with their child's safety, why wouldn't turning the COLD AIR on a tarantula that dwells in 100+ degree temps as the norm not be good advice? BEFORE defogging the home? Would you rather it set up shop high up in AC ducts or walls and come out at night to hunt? Is that your advice?

You're right, I don't know you. What I do know is you've been a member here for all of 3 months and have 2 qualifying posts to your name. Congrats. Care to enlighten me on your experience in this hobby, since you are obviously so much smarter than your posts reflect...

By the way, guess how much I care what you think of me or my posts?

My advice, if you would actually read my post, was to bomb the house instead of wasting time trying to find a loose spider that could put a kid in the hospital.

Show me where regalis 'dwell in 100+ degrees', by the way.

Didn't you mention in your post earlier that you've lost spiders too? You must be irresponsible and stupid.

How you interpret text on the Internet is completely up to you. If you want to call me rash, say I have an attitude, and label me as an elitist, that's your call. My post to the OP wasn't abrasive, rash, rude, or anything you describe. You chose to make it that way.

My posts directed to you, however, are meant exactly as you read them. As I already said, do some more reading, just make sure it's actually from a source other than where you heard that regalis live in temps that high.

Great post, Gavin. You beat me to the points I wanted to make.
Ditto this.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you bothered to do a little bit of research you would have found that P. regalis, as well as most other Poecilotheria species, are actually found in subtropical climes and often cool montane forests in the wild where temperatures range from the 60s to low 80s; and therefore are very tolerant of lower temperatures (in fact a few species REQUIRE low temps to thrive in captivity). How about you get your facts right before trying to give "good advice"?

By the way, even if the spider in question was intolerant of lower temperatures, cold air would simply make it sluggish and inactive, and all the spider would do is find a crevice in which to hide, because spiders are cold blooded and cannot regulate their own body temperature. Some great advice you've got, eh?

Great post, Gavin. You beat me to the points I wanted to make.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are you kidding me?
No I'm not? But you must be right? Trying to talk down to someone that has given way more back to the hobby than you have? Trust me, I have done that before with another important member here and I was wrong for it. You don't even know what you are talking about. One hundred degrees? If I kept my room that hot my T's would boil.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
If you bothered to do a little bit of research you would have found that P. regalis, as well as most other Poecilotheria species, are actually found in subtropical climes and often montane forests in the wild where temperatures range from the 60s to low 80s. How about you get your facts right before trying to give "good advice"?
If I had a book of FACTS on P. regalis alone I'd slap you with it. I have THREE P. regalis and my best friend of 20 years just recently married a woman from that region a small town near (Madura). And she was overjoyed when she came here to America and saw them in my home, and she always speaks of the temperature differences of her homeland and America. 100+ temps from a resident there of 38 years, to your attempt at belittling me in someone else's thread, and looking stupid in the end, which is seemingly the norm around here.

So you've said nothing to me. And I won't entertain off topic again.

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

No I'm not? But you must be right? Trying to talk down to someone that has given way more back to the hobby than you have? Trust me, I have done that before with another important member here and I was wrong for it. You don't even know what you are talking about. One hundred degrees? If I kept my room that hot my T's would boil.
LMAO So would all animals and insects in the deserts of Africa according to you? I'm about to get a headache with this. I HAVE to copy and paste this thread. This is beyond comical now.

No insect lives in 100+ degree temps in the world? WOW

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And I won't entertain off topic again.
How about you stop entertaining this thread as well. Your input here has been zero, and you're the one who has driven this thread off-topic in the first place.

LMAO So would all animals and insects in the deserts of Africa according to you? I'm about to get a headache with this. I HAVE to copy and paste this thread. This is beyond comical now.

Where did Sleazoid say anything about insects living in 100+ degrees?

What happened to
And I won't entertain off topic again.
?

Couldn't resist another off-topic post?

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Considering most T's from Africa burrow and live underground for most of their lives, they wouldn't be in 100+ degree temps. It would be much cooler than the surface. Also I just said my T room. Meaning I have T's including Poecilotheria species that require lower temps than that.

Considering that people more experienced than you are saying you are wrong, many people are disagreeing with you. You are right though, we are in the wrong, people who have given back to the hobby more than you have are in the wrong. Not you, oh no not you.

Last edited:

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If I had a book of FACTS on P. regalis alone I'd slap you with it. I have THREE P. regalis and my best friend of 20 years just recently married a woman from that region a small town near (Madura). And she was overjoyed when she came here to America and saw them in my home, and she always speaks of the temperature differences of her homeland and America. 100+ temps from a resident there of 38 years, to your attempt at belittling me in someone else's thread, and looking stupid in the end, which is seemingly the norm around here.
Oh, I see! Does she live in the cloud forest in the hills of the Eastern Ghats? Do you know anything about the relationship between altitude and temperature?

You are an absolute joke.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you know anything about the relationship between altitude and temperature?
What!???

This post is pure gold.

I'm in support of the bug bombers but you could also nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Last edited:

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dayum....

ANNNYYYWWAAYYY, everything that I could say relating to the topic has pretty much been said. Good luck finding it and be careful with those kids:eek:.

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I ended up bombing the house AND finding the T when I came back home....

She was just kind of hanging out on a wall in the open. So I dont have to worry about if the bomb did anything or not. Right now I have her in a container I just washed out as best I could.

Being in a seperate room with the door always locked seemed like an ok thing but this happened how all things usually do.... We talked about getting a lockable cabinet for all the tarantulas so if this DID happen it would be contained.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good to hear you found her :)
Ditto.

Please keep her separated from the rest of the collection until she molts (my opinion on this timeframe) just in case the pesticides end up killing her. You don't want the other spiders exposed to them.