Ephebopus cyanognathus - Blue fang

anthony2561

Banned
Old Timer
well......

I think that it is one of my top must haves;P and i dont know why i put this face here

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey John,

You should try and see if the "uatuman" and the "cyanognathus" actually have different courtships, because maybe since they are so closely related there may not be a big difference. If the offspring does reproduce between the two species I'm not sure they would definately give it a subspecies status. Maybe they'd have to check locals, go over the taxonomic differences, and maybe even come to the conclusion that they aren't two different species at all, although I have seen no taxonomic info. on these species. I guess they couldn't be by definition if they did reproduce viable offspring, but then again, there are exceptions to everything. Hey, I also noticed the extremely long mating for the avic. avic., I gave him some credit if you know what I mean, for a spider ofcourse. Just a little thought I had. Later man.

-Jeremy

hooale

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
John,

>Attention to detail That's the story of my life. I was not >comparing juvies to spiderlings.
I thought so as the pic you posted in another discussion was not of a spiderlings but of a juvie. Do you have any pics of spiderlings?

I never have seen uatuman, only on pics. But i do not like pics as they often give a wrong impression of the animal. By using different light and/or flash spiders can look very differently. I will get a bunch of the uatiman that came into the US in spring. WHat i have heard from friends that they are different from cyanognsthus but personally based on the pics i would say that they just looked as a cyanognsthus that needs a to molt to look decent. But pics huh! So i will wait with my opinion untill i get the animals.

Too me it is very unclear how uatuman can be distinguised from cyanognsthus, i have both descroptions at my place so maybe i should spend some time looking at them. What i do know is that uatuman misses the blue colour on the fangs as adults, but this won't help us with spiderlings & juvies.

>Your 30 or so matings were all E. cyanognathus?
Yep for the last 4 years i totally focused on Ephebopus, i got 7 eggsacks last year of 5 mated cyanognathus females. 5 of them where good and produced 60 - 80 babies a sac. Mating is extremely easy. These days i trow in the male and take him out after a week. Often multiple matings can be observed on an evening. Sometimes they share the same burrow. Rarely ever a male get's eaten.

>If these two species did manage to breed (talking Ephebopus), >and offspring is hatched, when the offspring mature and >eproduce (if so), there would be a subspecies status given. >Correct?
i don't know how this works.

>The point of my original post was to make aware hobbyists >aware that there are two "blue fangs" out there in the hobby. >Why would one have the pinkish/green ceph, and the other jet->black?
I never seen the pinkish/green ceph in spiderlings so i don't know. I would love to see a pic though.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by hooale

I never have seen uatuman, only on pics. But i do not like pics as they often give a wrong impression of the animal. By using different light and/or flash spiders can look very differently. I will get a bunch of the uatiman that came into the US in spring. WHat i have heard from friends that they are different from cyanognsthus but personally based on the pics i would say that they just looked as a cyanognsthus that needs a to molt to look decent. But pics huh! So i will wait with my opinion untill i get the animals.

The difference between cyanognathus and uatuman adults is fairly evident in the specimen I've had. Uatuman has a metallic yellow-gold abdomen, light fawn ceph and very light olive color with a mild burgundy or pinkish hair tinge to the legs in proper lighting. No hint of blue on the chelicerae. By comparison, adult cyanognathus have a darker and more burgundy/reddish coloring and have a much different, darker and more reddish abdomen without the striking greenish-gold metallic sheen after adulthood. My adult uatuman have more rounded abdomen structure, but this could be from feeding/WC habits.

Anyway, that's what I've oberved thus far.

bill

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by hooale
Yep for the last 4 years i totally focused on Ephebopus, i got 7 eggsacks last year of 5 mated cyanognathus females. 5 of them where good and produced 60 - 80 babies a sac. Mating is extremely easy. These days i trow in the male and take him out after a week. Often multiple matings can be observed on an evening. Sometimes they share the same burrow. Rarely ever a male get's eaten.
Alex, that's awesome! With me, it didn't turn out so easy. Never once did the male tap or court. I've heard from breeders of Ephebopus, that if males do not tap, then chances of a breeding will be very low. I know I didn't try hard enough, or at least, I was too impatient which is very unlike me.
Do you have any pics of the breedings, or even pics of the nymphs etc? I'd be interested in seeing and hear of, your methods. Very cool spider.
I don't have any pics of spiderlings, as I had a pretty crappy camera back then. Here is a pic of a juvenile. This never had the jet black carapace. As an adult, the bright metallic blue chelicera, turned into a nice deep metallic purple. She was among the first wave of "blue fangs" to hit the US, and at first, was called Ephebopus uatuman.
john

hooale

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
John,

I posted a lot of pics on the pix-list. Search in the archive on Cyanognathus. I had problems yesterday with searching in the archive. If i have time time weekend i will post some pics here, I don't have them on this pc.

I can tell a lot about breeding them but i will save that for another time as i am short on time right now.

Goodnight,
Alex