Enclosure for a 2-2.5" P Metallica

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
I placed an order for a p metallica recently. The size will be between 2-2.5" when it arrives. I'm wondering what the ideal space of it's enclosure should be? I was looking at a 4x4x8 but a friend said that may be on the smaller side. Would 6x6x12 be a better choice?

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
If it's on the smaller side of that, maybe 6x6x9. If it's closer to 2.5 or 3, might think about just getting adult enclosure, maybe 8x8x12. Only move into adult enclosure if you aren't afraid to make sure it eats if it moves somewhere inconvenient though, otherwise keep it small so it's easier to deal with. Or keep in 32oz deli cup for a molt or 2...

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
If it's on the smaller side of that, maybe 6x6x9. If it's closer to 2.5 or 3, might think about just getting adult enclosure, maybe 8x8x12. Only move into adult enclosure if you aren't afraid to make sure it eats if it moves somewhere inconvenient though, otherwise keep it small so it's easier to deal with. Or keep in 32oz deli cup for a molt or 2...
Perfect 👌 Thanks!

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
Yeah, I think that's what I'm going with. Plus I'll save money.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
If it were me, I'd throw (hopefully) her in the 8•8•12 as loosely suggested above, because if she's (🤞) anything like mine, she'll be rather active, & that extra space will be a joy to see her explore, &, inevitably web like a maniac.
But if this is your first foray into Poecilotheria, then the deli cup is DEFINITELY the better option for you.

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
If it were me, I'd throw (hopefully) her in the 8•8•12 as loosely suggested above, because if she's (🤞) anything like mine, she'll be rather active, & that extra space will be a joy to see her explore, &, inevitably web like a maniac.
But if this is your first foray into Poecilotheria, then the deli cup is DEFINITELY the better option for you.
Interesting. My biggest fear was having the T get lost in its own enclosure and having a hard time finding prey. I found one enclosure on Amazon that may be a good in between if I don't do the deli

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Honestly I’d have at least two options in hand, sellers often grossly over estimate the sizes of their stock and I have gotten stuff nowhere near big as claimed and just used delicups.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Interesting. My biggest fear was having the T get lost in its own enclosure and having a hard time finding prey. I found one enclosure on Amazon that may be a good in between if I don't do the deli
They're pretty "out there" spiders, from my own experience, unless the enclosure is HUGE, she's gonna find her prey just fine. Those acrylic cubes are sharp, & a lot of people use them happily, but I like having more than a single point of access personally, especially with Poecilotherias. Also,
Honestly I’d have at least two options in hand, sellers often grossly over estimate the sizes of their stock and I have gotten stuff nowhere near big as claimed and just used delicups.
This is dead nuts accurate....it seems a lot of T slingers look at their stock through fisherman's eyes, LoL

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Pokies are great hunters just don’t provide too much moss that’s how I lose feeders.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I have 4 of these now, they're not bad. Obviously the lid warps but who cares... Good for fossorial too, and the lip around the top helps stop runners.

TarantulaMan138

Arachnosquire
I placed an order for a p metallica recently. The size will be between 2-2.5" when it arrives. I'm wondering what the ideal space of it's enclosure should be? I was looking at a 4x4x8 but a friend said that may be on the smaller side. Would 6x6x12 be a better choice?
So I would agree with Jay booth and forgive the speech to text I know that's not the way you spell it LOL or if not I would recommend getting an even larger terrarium like a 12x12x16 as that will be able to house your p. metallica into its potential size whether male or female as these are the smaller of the peocilotherias and will give it adequate room to crawl around and web the entire enclosure with whatever Anchor Point you've given it as they do get to be six to eight inches at their potential size this way you won't have to keep upgrading terrariums and can just have it's adult size terrarium and not have to keep spending money every time you upgrade. Hope this helps and best of luck

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
I have 4 of these now, they're not bad. Obviously the lid warps but who cares... Good for fossorial too, and the lip around the top helps stop runners.
What size drill bit do you use for ventilation holes?

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
What size drill bit do you use for ventilation holes?
For the naneezoo ones? Usually the ventilation is fine. I did drill a hole in the bottom of my C lividus when it got too wet but ventilation should be fine.

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
For the naneezoo ones? Usually the ventilation is fine. I did drill a hole in the bottom of my C lividus when it got too wet but ventilation should be fine.
Oh my bad, I misread. I'm glad you've had success with them. I ordered the 6x6x9 today

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Oh my bad, I misread. I'm glad you've had success with them. I ordered the 6x6x9 today
Sometimes a soldering iron or just small nail works better on the deli cups, they can crack... smaller than the carapace lol

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I use that same 6*6*9 for a 2.5” Psalmopoeus irminia and love it. I did drill a row of holes at substrate level for chimney effect. Mine lid hasn’t warped, but those magnets are mad strong. It will snap shut hard if you don’t keep a hold on it.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
those magnets are mad strong. It will snap shut hard if you don’t keep a hold on it.
Ive seen this problem on some of those enclosures! Ive modified some of my enclosures with some of those 'rare earth magnets' and had to set them up in a way that reduced some of the magnetism so I didn't worry about accidentally injuring any of them.