Eggcase of Unknown T and Origin Hatched!

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my pulchra tryed to bite something once

but that was becuase I dident know she was eating I nudged her with some forceps to move her leg off a water dish I wanted to clean and she turned around and bit it...

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is a shame. It would have been a great and unique experience to be able to raise some of those.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by sandanspidey
Exactlly Being what we were given for info. they needed to be dead. Alot of us long term hobbiest would love to get our hands on something like that, free eggsac's come on what a gift to raise. But I would still not recomend someone who has no experience to try and raise something like the brazilian wander. If you have no idea where to start as to keeping them it would be very dangerous.
We don't even really know WHAT they were, Doug. An anonymous eggsac and some really blurry pictures of little dots coming out of it hardly qualified these spiderlings as Public Enemy Number One. They could've been just about anything from a more benign tropical species to even a more local and harmless one.

I don't mean to rag on Dean at all, he just did what everyone (at the time) was telling him to do. He made an initial effort to find another keeper which was exactly what I'd have done in his situation. Nobody emailed him fast enough, so he let them be frozen. It's not a horrible event, just regrettable --- and I am mainly criticizing the logic of those strongly advocating their destruction in the first place. There were so many other options than freezing them that it's ridiculous to even consider that as a viable option, let alone the only one.

That's it. Dean, don't worry about it. No big deal either way.

bill

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Re: yeah

Originally posted by Dean W

And as far as first spiders go...... Metalica is a good beginner? nice!, where cna i get one? what better to keep, male or female? or does differ per species?
A. metallica is a pretty good species. They're a tiny bit jumpier than regular A. avicularia in general, but not bad. I've never seen them exhibit any aggression -- just towards food. ;)

They grow fast and adults look like slightly fuzzier, more bluish pinktoes.

bill

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm. A couple of things...

First of all, I'm not sure how much I would enjoy having Phoneutria spp. spiders as pets, especially an entire eggsac, where one or five could easily escape if I'm not careful. And I'm certainly not going to berate Dean for not wanting to keep them, and I will also add that in Tarantulas and Other Arachnids Sam Marshall actually states that freezing a widow spider eggsac is an alternative to take if you happen to go against his advice, keep them as pets, and one produces a sac. Granted, I suspect Dr. Marshall is probably being extra cautious to avoid possible recriminations coming his way later, but it is still there.

That said, I've got a problem with labeling some of these spiders as deadly. In the absolute strictest definition of the word, widow spiders, recluse spiders, wandering spiders and others have killed people, so technically yes, they are deadly. But when people use and see that word, it doesn't convey the message that a few unlucky people have died from the bite of these spiders; it makes them sound like if you get bit, you're toast. Less than one person a year, on average, dies from spider bites in the U.S. and I suspect that statistic is similar in other Western countries. Does this mean we say cool, let's let the possibly potently venomous spiders loose in the woods? No. Does it mean Dean should have kept all eight billion of them and reared them up? He could have, I suppose, but I'm not going to blame him for not wanting to.

What it means, though, is that the vast majority of people bitten by just about any spider on planet Earth will be just fine. The family Hexathelidae is the primary exception to this in my opinion, and even the Sydney funnelweb, a spider from said family, has caused no deaths in twenty years, thanks to a fantastic antivenin. According to a third-hand reference attributed to Robert Raven (attributed to him by Dr. Breene in an ATS Forum), the Brazilian wandering spider doesn't kill people. I suspect that the number of people killed in the U.S. by widow and recluse spiders in the last ten years could be counted on one hand, two hands tops. Freezing them wasn't necessarily a bad thing to do; personally, finding an educational outlet interested in them would have been preferable, to me, but being absolutely safe is not something to fault someone for. But let's not get all panicky and wigged out over these "deadly" spiders. Technically you could call them that, but let's speak of them in real terms instead of just flat-out painting them as hazardous to life and limb.

Adrian

Dean W

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
!

You make a very good point, just because a spider has the 'potential' to kill, doesn't mean it will. Calling a spider that hasn't killed anyone deadly, would be the same as calling a person a murderer, even if they hadn't killed someone, but easily could.

I still keep the little guys in the container, that was, in this case, both their cradle and their coffin. As a reminder to myself what can happen when people (Mainly me) get paranoid, and act without getting all the facts.

You all have my personal garauntee, that if i ever get the priviledge of having such a unique, and interesting creature in my home, i will not make the same ignorent mistake. Thanks everyone for all your support.

Dean W

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
umm

im not so sure about that site. I've seen pics, that i know for a fact were the spider in question, and it was solid black, and not a T. That looks liek a T to me, not a true spider, but thats just my opinion i suppose.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Sorry if my post took this thread in a terribly wrong direction. I simply meant that no tarantula was likely to have an eggsac amongst bananas, which, after the picture was shown, proved to be pretty accurate. As for your decision Dean, I think that in your position, I'd have probably done the same. Although, I'm sure in Chicago I could have gotten rid of them much easier than you could up where you are.

All in all, I hope I didn't cause any unwarranted panic, but to err on the side of caution isn't a terrible thing.

Bill

Dean W

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
!

heres the pic i saw before. Does it look liek the same guy? perhaps, this pic is a bit darker, so its hard to see amrking on the abdomen.

Attachments

Dean W

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
!

yes, the markings do look alike, it is hard to see tho, my pic is darker. The legs look different though. Your pic shows the spider alot heavier, and hairier. But i suppose not allspider of the same genus look the same.

sandanspidey

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by invertepet
We don't even really know WHAT they were, Doug. An anonymous eggsac and some really blurry pictures of little dots coming out of it hardly qualified these spiderlings as Public Enemy Number One. They could've been just about anything from a more benign tropical species to even a more local and harmless one.

I don't mean to rag on Dean at all, he just did what everyone (at the time) was telling him to do. He made an initial effort to find another keeper which was exactly what I'd have done in his situation. Nobody emailed him fast enough, so he let them be frozen. It's not a horrible event, just regrettable --- and I am mainly criticizing the logic of those strongly advocating their destruction in the first place. There were so many other options than freezing them that it's ridiculous to even consider that as a viable option, let alone the only one.

That's it. Dean, don't worry about it. No big deal either way.

bill
It was all and still is a what if factor.
1- unknown eggsac on bananas
2- person haveing it not experienced
3- possibility of being dangerous
4- living in a location where limited help is avalible
5- why risk it , it isn't a who was right and who was wrong
Doug

sandanspidey

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by sandanspidey
It was all and still is a what if factor.
1- unknown eggsac on bananas
2- person haveing it not experienced
3- possibility of being dangerous
4- living in a location where limited help is avalible
5- why risk it , it isn't a who was right and who was wrong
Doug
I wish he would have went with my advice at the beginning they would still be alive for you all to try and get from him.
Oh yeh this was my advice at the beginning:
If you have them in a sealed jar so they can't get out just let them kill each other then the last will just die but don't open it for anything
Doug
they will live for weeks that way

Dean W

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
!

Yes, but your advice would still doom them to an untimely death, just slower, and involving the eating of them by their siblings. If i took your advice, i would maybe end up with 1. I suppose thats better then 0, but still. It would have been better if i found someone to take em earlier on. then they'd all be alive, but lets not dwell on past events.

sandanspidey

Arachnopeon
Re: !

Originally posted by Dean W
Yes, but your advice would still doom them to an untimely death, just slower, and involving the eating of them by their siblings. If i took your advice, i would maybe end up with 1. I suppose thats better then 0, but still. It would have been better if i found someone to take em earlier on. then they'd all be alive, but lets not dwell on past events.
Exactly it would have doomed them had you not gotten any help but alot of people came on late on this one and you would have had the chance to maybe get some to experienced people. Not dwelling on past just making a point. I am glad to see you have taking a big interest in the hobby now. And that is the nature of the eggsacs in nature, large numbers so a few survive. In this hobby you will learn that they will not all live that you get. If I counted every T's that died in the last 12 years I would cry. The hobby is a none stop learning adventure. I hope you enjoy the hobby and maybe we can do a trade some day.
Good luck Doug

Attachments

carnivore1152

Arachnopeon
Eggsack

Hi, I would like all of your spiders if you would sell them or trade, I have a few snakes, and tarantulas that you might be interested in. Please e-mail me at uchat101@hotmail.com
Thanks,
Steve