Eggcase of Unknown T and Origin Hatched!

Dean W

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got an eggcase from my mums place, it hitched a ride along with her bananas. I looked into the company that sold the bananas, and it turns out its home office is in ecuador. Itrs also where the bananas are grown.

Anyone know what kinds of tarantula come from that area? or any other ideas on what these could be? i only have 3 out of the sack at the moment, more should be comming tho. They're too small to get a good photo of, but i'll take some when they're a bit bigger.

Any help ( ie. what to feed em, how to house em, gen. care instructions) is welcome.

p.s. This is my first Tarantula.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Are you absolutely positive that it is a tarantula eggsac? I'm not sure how they treat their eggs, I know alot of extremely venemous true spiders often hitch rides in with bananas, so until you make a solid ID, you might want to exercise some caution.

Bill

sandanspidey

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by conipto
Are you absolutely positive that it is a tarantula eggsac? I'm not sure how they treat their eggs, I know alot of extremely venemous true spiders often hitch rides in with bananas, so until you make a solid ID, you might want to exercise some caution.

Bill
I totally agree be very careful. They have spiders in the bananas over there that can kill you fast. They just had them on one of the discovery channels not long ago.
Doug

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dean W.
How big is the eggcase? Could you post a picture of it?

Sure would love to see it.:)

By the way, welcome aboard.

Ernie

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
uh oh!

many people call them banana tarantulas, take extreme caution! These are also call Brazilian Wanderers! Very, Very Dangerous and venomous! So make sure you know exactly what they are, it can also be an Avicularia auriantica(i know i spelled that wrong)
Hope this helps!

James

Dean W

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have pics

I have pics fo the eggcase, but not of the spiders. They didn;t come out to well, and im using a webcam. They're still to small to take a decent photo with a webcam. but here.

Attachments

Dean W

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
bes i could do

i tried to get one of the babies. This is the best i could do.

Attachments

Dean W

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if...

If anyone has, or could find and post a pic of a young Brazillian Wonderer, that might help my problem.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Whatever they are, they're not T's. I don't think I've ever heard of an eggsac being that small with T's. Whatever you do, be careful with them until you have an ID on them.

Anyone Else???

Scott

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You don't have any of these wandering around your house do you?

BD

Dean W

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ummm.

umm, no. They keep commin out of the eggcase, i have well over a dozen now, just in the last 15 minutes. No none int he house, all inside empty pill container, with taped on lid.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since you are in Calgary I think you should send some of those to me when they get bigger if you dont get poisoned first.

Dean W

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well...

well, you can have em all if you'd like. lol, i dunno if i feel comfortable with em. perhaps we can work out some kind of deal. what kinda t's u got? :p

Dean W

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
uh oh

mystery solved everyone. Thats our spider, the Brazilian Wondering. The guiness book apparently ranks them the most venomous spider in the world.

I just called the pet store, and they dont want em either.

WHAT THE %*&% AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE FREAKIN THINGS?!

sandanspidey

Arachnopeon
Re: uh oh

Originally posted by Dean W
mystery solved everyone. Thats our spider, the Brazilian Wondering. The guiness book apparently ranks them the most venomous spider in the world.

I just called the pet store, and they dont want em either.

WHAT THE %*&% AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE FREAKIN THINGS?!
If you have them in a sealed jar so they can't get out just let them kill each other then the last will just die but don't open it for anything
Doug

Slide

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, if you wanna keep 'em, I'd suggest therapy.

On the other hand, if they're in a sealed container...you /could/ always stick it in the freezer for a few days. Maybe a couple weeks if you're paranoid. That'll solve the problem real good.

I'm not normally the one to suggest things like euthanising a bunch of perfectly healthy slings...but I can't honestly advocate attempting to maintain a whole sac of them as "pets" nor can I advocate just dumping them on your front step.

Maybe get in touch with the science departments at any local schools, they might have some interest...?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You could put some gasoline in the jar through holes in the lid of the jar and then set it a fire. Or bug spray. I think that they should definately be killed. Hope I'm not pissing anyone off by saying this, but I'm sure that it wouldn't be to hard for this species to find a niche w/in an ecosystem out here. Its bad enought that we have black widows and brown reclused. I think that the hobo spider is also starting to grow in this country. We dont' need any other deadly spiders.

So kill 'em. Kill them all!

:DBd:D

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You're absolutely right...

You are pissing people off by saying that.

These spiders could've been raised and cultured by experienced arachnid hobbyists in either Canada or here, wherever they were not in breech of local laws. Instead, Dean caved to the knee-jerkers telling him to kill the spiders and he did, before I could email him.

So great, a bunch of fairly rare and interesting arachnids are now frozen solid because people think they might have been venomous wandering spiders (but we didn't *really* know that for sure and never will).

Sorry, I just hate the killing any animals because of human fear.

bill