Dragonfly in vivarium?? -nice

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well,

I noticed a dragonfly larva looking dude underneath of the false bottom part of my vivarium. Weeks later(today) I found that it or another of its kind had climbed up a brom and molted into what appears to be a dragonfly.

This guy has great sight and will hide from the slightest movement. I know I shouldn't have handled him but I wanted to get a good pic. Hope his molt comes out alright. He was in a dry spot and I misted just a little.

Here are some pictures.

I don't expect any problems with it being in the tank. Are they carnivorous as adults? This one will do fine on fruit flies. Must have hitched a ride on something or another. Pretty cool really.

-Andy

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
dude that viv is awsome from what i can see? we never see vivs like that here is aus, can you post a pic of thefull tank for me? Also looks more like a damsel fly i think. dont think its a dragonfly

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yup...definitely a damsel fly. Damsel flies have thinner abdomens and generally rest with their wings folded up.

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I didn't know they were that neat looking. He/she has hardened now and has pretty green spots.

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I haven't seen him in a while. There might be more to come though if that one made it through.

lychas:Here is a link to my thread on this site about the tank.

That's pretty cool about the damselfly. I didn't know much about those guys.

Here is a recent full shot of the viv.

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I have found another that has molted good and is flying around everywhere. This one is a little different looking. It is more of a blue color instead of green like the previous one.

They don't seem to bother the other inhabitants in the tank and help keep the flies in control. I hope I have more pop up and some breeding action happen. I'll have to read up more on them.

Here are some pics:

Distasty

Arachnopeon
Wow! Beautiful tank! What all do you have living in it besides damsel flies?

Oh wait! scratch that! I just saw the link to the tank's thread XD
Dur hur hur

Last edited: