Dorcus stag beetle larva making circles in substrate

hawkesa1

Arachnopeon
My dorcus stag beetle larvae is making circles in its substrate. I know that it's trying to find a place to pupate, but I don't know what to give it to make a pupa chamber. According to my understanding that if they are in rotten wood, thats where they make their pupal cell. I had this problem before with another beetle species and they exhausted themselves to death or a very small version of what they could have been. What should I do? What substrate should i use?

Attachments

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
My dorcus stag beetle larvae is making circles in its substrate. I know that it's trying to find a place to pupate, but I don't know what to give it to make a pupa chamber. According to my understanding that if they are in rotten wood, thats where they make their pupal cell. I had this problem before with another beetle species and they exhausted themselves to death or a very small version of what they could have been. What should I do? What substrate should i use?
How deep is that? They usually need a good amount of substrate. I agree it's probably looking to pupate.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
A square plastic shoebox might work better you don’t have any tree bark ?

hawkesa1

Arachnopeon
A square plastic shoebox might work better you don’t have any tree bark ?
I live in Mesa Arizona, where there aren't a ton of deciduous trees, or even trees around near by. I think the nearest natural park is around 1-1.5 hr drive from where I live.

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
I'd try digging an oval-shaped depression in the center of the surface a bit larger than the larvae on each side and in depth. If it is suitable, the larvae may pupate in the depression.

coraciiforme

Arachnopeon
If it continues to wander you can make an artificial pupal cell for it using wet floral foam.

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
If it continues to wander you can make an artificial pupal cell for it using wet floral foam.
Thanks for the reply.

Since I posted this she has constructed her chamber at the bottom, become a pupae, and has emerged into an adult!