Dorcus stag beetle larva making circles in substrate

hawkesa1

Arachnopeon
My dorcus stag beetle larvae is making circles in its substrate. I know that it's trying to find a place to pupate, but I don't know what to give it to make a pupa chamber. According to my understanding that if they are in rotten wood, thats where they make their pupal cell. I had this problem before with another beetle species and they exhausted themselves to death or a very small version of what they could have been. What should I do? What substrate should i use?

Attachments

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
My dorcus stag beetle larvae is making circles in its substrate. I know that it's trying to find a place to pupate, but I don't know what to give it to make a pupa chamber. According to my understanding that if they are in rotten wood, thats where they make their pupal cell. I had this problem before with another beetle species and they exhausted themselves to death or a very small version of what they could have been. What should I do? What substrate should i use?
How deep is that? They usually need a good amount of substrate. I agree it's probably looking to pupate.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
A square plastic shoebox might work better you don’t have any tree bark ?

hawkesa1

Arachnopeon
A square plastic shoebox might work better you don’t have any tree bark ?
I live in Mesa Arizona, where there aren't a ton of deciduous trees, or even trees around near by. I think the nearest natural park is around 1-1.5 hr drive from where I live.

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
I'd try digging an oval-shaped depression in the center of the surface a bit larger than the larvae on each side and in depth. If it is suitable, the larvae may pupate in the depression.