Does it ever stop???

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'm hoping that as I'm getting into in the dawrf species now my list won't be so long , I wonder how many their are ?
Lol....there are a LOT of dwarf species....the Cyriocosmus genus alone has like ten species, if not more. Psalmopoeus reduncus is another one, if I recal correctly, but there are a lot more :)

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Lol....there are a LOT of dwarf species....the Cyriocosmus genus alone has like ten species, if not more. Psalmopoeus reduncus is another one, if I recal correctly, but there are a lot more :)
Good job it's my birthday next month then , beening smaller they won't get noticed !

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
My tarantula want list is growing and growing. I just want more and more tarantulas. People (family, coworkers, & friends) all think I've gone completely nuts. I dont think I've ever enjoyed anything in my life so much as I enjoy this hobby. I know you all understand.

So far I've mostly been keeping NW terrestrials, though I do have 2 NW arborreals. I'm nowhere near ready to venture into husbandry for most arborreal or any OW species. How do you all prioritize your want list? I feel like I am happy with the amount of tarantulas I have now because they keep me busy enough. I don't want to overwhelm myself, but I want more.

yes, we all know how you feel.

as for the want list, i go by three things:

How rare is the species in my area/locale?

is it NW/OW?(I'm currently prioritizing OW's cause I'm quickly getting sick of the hairs)

does it have any interesting colors/markings/features that stand out right away?

i usually go in that order and ask it about the T. if its Yes/OW/Yes then i usually grab it if i can afford it responsibly(as long as the price isn't crazy)

also, it's good that you don't want to overwhelm yourself. always better to want more then to have to get rid of some.
if i didn't hold back on every t Ive wanted to buy id have easily 50+ at the moment, wth more then half being OBT's, which would be way too much in the space i have to keep them.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
We want something, and then when we get it our focus shifts and we want something else. ;)

This is true with most, although some are content with what they have. I have personally thought to myself "alright that's enough now" but the feeling never lasts very long and eventually desire drives me to purchase more...

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I've kinda been wondering if some aspects of such an addicting hobby are really psychologically healthy. If it really becomes an obsession, then it can't be, right? It kinda scares me, actually. Like I said, I don't have too strong of a desire for more tarantulas, but what if it really becomes an obsession? Or if I legitimately go insane? The idea of such a thing has always freaked me out.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
I've kinda been wondering if some aspects of such an addicting hobby are really psychologically healthy. If it really becomes an obsession, then it can't be, right? It kinda scares me, actually. Like I said, I don't have too strong of a desire for more tarantulas, but what if it really becomes an obsession? Or if I legitimately go insane? The idea of such a thing has always freaked me out.
honestly, if its that addicting, then its not the hobby but most likely you and you would probabky develop some type of obsession with any hobby, wether it be Inverts/herps/ Model cars/drugs/writing/photography/ETC.

the biggest difference, when it comes to Inverts/reptiles and such they are actual living creatures.

but that again, could truly be with any hobby.

the way I've always considered it is, there is a fine line between a hobby and an obsession. With a hobby i know i have a problem and have to keep that in mind, with an obsession you don't and thus have no "filter".

Walker253

Arachnobaron
My tarantula want list is growing and growing. I just want more and more tarantulas. People (family, coworkers, & friends) all think I've gone completely nuts. I dont think I've ever enjoyed anything in my life so much as I enjoy this hobby. I know you all understand.

So far I've mostly been keeping NW terrestrials, though I do have 2 NW arborreals. I'm nowhere near ready to venture into husbandry for most arborreal or any OW species. How do you all prioritize your want list? I feel like I am happy with the amount of tarantulas I have now because they keep me busy enough. I don't want to overwhelm myself, but I want more.
It never stops. Like a friend recently said, "They are real life Pokeman and you just want them all".

That being said, you are most likely ready for an OW. I think you're overthinking it. You've been at this a while. I remember when you started. Looking at your T list, maybe a C darlingi or C marshalli. They aren't crazy like you may think. They are known as pet holes, but the C darling and C marshalli, like to sit at the entrance of their hole. They are pretty much bulletproof in their care.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight

My cousin gave me this nugget of advice when it comes to drugs, I think this applies for tarantulas...

As long you got your priorities straight and your bills paid, then who am I to judge? If you find yourself in an alleyway on your knees though...

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Yeah don't judge....lol

It's a hobby. Like gypsy said, if the bills are paid and priorities are in order, who cares right? Some people like to have one tarantula and give advice on everything they read, others have dozens of tarantulas and give advice on what they've experienced. At the end of the day, if the advice is good, it's good.

If I'm psychologically unhealthy, I'm good with that. Lol

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've seen some people go nuts with it but then drop out for a while, only to come back to it but trimming it down a bit.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I think it wouldn't be a hobby anymore, but more a case of hoarding. Agree on the points of others considering bills payed, but have to add one thing. It is okay if your bills are payed AND you keep your T's healthy.

I don't think you have anything to worry about ;)

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I think it wouldn't be a hobby anymore, but more a case of hoarding. Agree on the points of others considering bills payed, but have to add one thing. It is okay if your bills are payed AND you keep your T's healthy.

I don't think you have anything to worry about ;)
So at what point is it hoarding? 10? 25? 50? 83 (that's me)?, 100? 200? more? Go big or go home Andrea lolol. So yeah, I'm at 83. I still have plenty of room on my racks and room for 1 or 2 more racks. I guess when containers of tarantulas start piling up on the floor, I can be featured on the TV show "Hoarders". BTW, my collection dwarfs in comparison to several good friends of mine. All of our collections are well taken care of.

Nothing typed here indicates me being worked up. I'm having fun with you...

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
So at what point is it hoarding? 10? 25? 50? 83 (that's me)?, 100? 200? more? Go big or go home Andrea lolol. So yeah, I'm at 83. I still have plenty of room on my racks and room for 1 or 2 more racks. I guess when containers of tarantulas start piling up on the floor, I can be featured on the TV show "Hoarders". BTW, my collection dwarfs in comparison to several good friends of mine. All of our collections are well taken care of.

Only 83? You're safe, friend, no disorders here :D

Nah, there's a big difference between hoarding and just like stuff. Like te comparison I made in an arachnophobia thread; something becomes a disorder if the person with said disorder is being negatively affected by it. Or if said disorder becomes a problem for people around the person with the disorder.

I actually think T's maybe are less of a thing to get hoarded than other animals, or causing trouble for their owners. They're clean, don't need much and their enclosures don't need much as well.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon

It wouldnt be how many Ts you have, it would be at the point at which you cant think of anything else, you cant care about anything else. You live to get more tarantulas. Kind of how a drug addiction works. Every waking minute is spent thinking of it, and everything else in your life is just an obstacle.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
It wouldnt be how many Ts you have, it would be at the point at which you cant think of anything else, you cant care about anything else. You live to get more tarantulas. Kind of how a drug addiction works. Every waking minute is spent thinking of it, and everything else in your life is just an obstacle.
LOLOL, the kid is attempting to figure me out. You couldn't be more wrong in your assessment of me. It's one of a few hobbies and I have a life. It must be great to be young and know everything.