does anyone have a favorite genus?

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As of late, Heteroscodra, Stromatopelma, Pterinochilus, Ceratogyrus, Tapinauchenius and Cyclosternum. Pokes as well of course.

The African T's have caught my attention lately due to their hardiness and higher tolerance climate variables. It's a nice break from the several more damanding inverts I keep. :)

Atrax

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by Kugellager
Albert Einstein....:D

Snicker...I could't resist.

John
];')
(buh-dum-dum) *lmao*
Peace,
Gillian
p.s., after spending over an hour with my G. aureostriata this past weekend, for me, its Grammostola.

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Who? Me?

Originally posted by Kugellager
And now for my serious answer.

So far with my limited T experience I would have to say Psalmopeous and Avicularia...

blackacidevil,

];')

Why did you include me in your response, I didn't ask you anything.......this is not even my Thread. It must have been some type of Freudian slip. Just so you know, I am totally straight (although easily persuaded ;) ;) )

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

my favs are:

Psalmopoeus
Avicularia
Chromatopelma
Cyclosternem
Tapinauchenius
Brachyplelma

Thanks,
(funny kug=D =D )

James

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Chilobrachys, Chromatopelma, Haplopelma, and Iridopelma

Andy

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love brachypelmas!! But I gotta say grammastolas are cuties too :D

Infinity

Arachnopeon
That depends...

My favorite to play with would have to be Grammostola...

My favorite for look but don't touch would be Theraphosa...

And then, there's my bite first, ask questions later (maybe) favorite which is a toss up between Pamphobeteus and Lasiodora (specifically, my difficilis and striatipes specimens). :)

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Aphonopelma is my over all favorite. The hairs of Brachypelma bother me to much to make it my all time favorite. I don't care for the Haplopelma or other deep burrowers that much. Psalmopoeus and Poecilotheria are my favorite arboreals.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm still exploring the species.
All of them.
I just haven't seen any I Don;t love.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
blackacidevil,

Dude you are being paranoid :D

Did you read the paragraph below your name?

I said Quote: "blackacidevil,

There have also been a bunch of P.reduncus for sale lately...I currently have a 1" sling...well see how that goes. My irminia went from 1" to 5 1/4" in one year...fast growers!"

Because you had mentioned in your first post that

Quote: " I also like the Psalmopeous but I really only know of the cambridgei and irminia."

So I made the comment about there being a spate of P.reduncus in the hobby lately to let you know they are available. P as in Psalmopeous...sorry for the confusion.

By the way, I wasn't aware that Freud wore a slip :rolleyes:

John
];')

Last edited:

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nathan Danger
does anyone have a favorite genus?
Hi,

yes, the monotypic Genus Homo, especially the females !!!!:D :D :D ;P =D

In Theraphosidae it is Selenocosmia, because it's taxonomically soooo interesting!!!!

Cheers, Volker

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Me and my sister were just discussing this the other night. I said that Pokes would be my first choice and then the Psalmopeous for my second and then its a toss up on the Haplopelmas and the Acanthoscurria species..

Nemesis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I love Aphonopelmas and Brachypelmas, but my fav. is officially Pamphobeteus.....and I don't even have the males (which are desireable because of their intense coloration). These guys absolutely ROCK!!!

Kelly O

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: does anyone have a favorite genus?

Originally posted by VolkervonWirth
Hi,
In Theraphosidae it is Selenocosmia, because it's taxonomically soooo interesting!!!!

Cheers, Volker
Nice choice Volker :) How many spcimens of S. kulluensis do you have? (If any.) Have you tried breeding this species?

I have some Australian Selenocosmia material here if you like, I was going to ship it all to Andrew but Raven won't like that if I do. I'd be keen to ear your opinion on some undescribed species I've found that I can also ship. Soren believes that what Raven calls Phlogiellus here is probably Selenocosmia, I'd like to send those to you too for your opinion.

Cheers,
Steve

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: does anyone have a favorite genus?

Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Nice choice Volker :) How many specimens of S. kulluensis do you have? (If any.) Have you tried breeding this species?
Hi steve,

excuse me that I haven't answered your private Mail until now,but I had a removal and during this time I've received a lot of Mails which I have to answer now.
I have two alive Specimen of Selenocosmia kulluensis , one from above 1000 Meter (=uniform brown) and one from the valley (=with the whitish Patella). Furthermore I have a lot of alcohol preserved material of both variations of this Species.
At the moment I'm not possible to breed this Species,because there aren't any males available!

I have some Australian Selenocosmia material here if you like, I was going to ship it all to Andrew but Raven won't like that if I do.
Well, I expect that Raven wouldn't also like it to know that I work on australian Theraphosid Material. Fact is, that I've examined a lot of australian Theraphosid Specimen which are deposited in german museum collections. Concerning this Material, I'd like to get in re-contact to Raven to discuss and hear his opinion, but 'till now he unfortunately seems to be not willing to get in a reasonable discussion with me. I suppose that's because I'm a german and he maybe thinks that german = Dr. G. Schmidt, a guy which is ignored by the international arachnology "Scene" because of his worst taxonomic work.

I'd be keen to ear your opinion on some undescribed species I've found that I can also ship.
I'm principally interested in examining all of your Theraphosid Material you want me to examine it!

Soren believes that what Raven calls Phlogiellus here is probably Selenocosmia, I'd like to send those to you too for your opinion.
I know Sören's opinion and I'd followed your discussion about that in the ARACHNID-WORLD List! As I've told you before, I'm of the opinion that the australian "Phlogiellus" have phylogenetically nothing to do with the "original" Phlogiellus , namely Phlogiellus inermis from Malaysia and Singapore. Raven came to his conclusion because of the cracked Tarsus IV, but this character isn't useful to distinguish Taxa of Genus level, because there are also some Chilobrachys Species, especially from India, which are taxonomically totally different to the australian Theraphosid fauna but which have also a cracked Tarsus IV. To my opinion this character is an analogy and it is shown as a homoplasy in a cladogram.

Cheers, Volker

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Re: does anyone have a favorite genus?

Originally posted by VolkervonWirth
I have two alive Specimen of Selenocosmia kulluensis , one from above 1000 Meter (=uniform brown) and one from the valley (=with the whitish Patella). Furthermore I have a lot of alcohol preserved material of both variations of this Species.
At the moment I'm not possible to breed this Species,because there aren't any males available!
I hope you get your hands on a male or two, they would have to be one of the nicest theraphosids I've ever seen!

Well, I expect that Raven wouldn't also like it to know that I work on australian Theraphosid Material. Fact is, that I've examined a lot of australian Theraphosid Specimen which are deposited in german museum collections. Concerning this Material, I'd like to get in re-contact to Raven to discuss and hear his opinion, but 'till now he unfortunately seems to be not willing to get in a reasonable discussion with me. I suppose that's because I'm a german and he maybe thinks that german = Dr. G. Schmidt, a guy which is ignored by the international arachnology "Scene" because of his worst taxonomic work.
Yes, I would say this is true, Raven has said some colorful things about Dr Schmidt to me. I hope he looks past Schmidt though and realises that other researchers work is indeed of value, such as your own. I know that Raven's keys are incorrect in parts and his keys to the genera of the Selenocosmiinae are in dire need of correction. He can be abbrasive at times and in many ways is set with his attitudes, which is definately a shame.

I'm principally interested in examining all of your Theraphosid Material you want me to examine it!
Excellent! I have some toughts about the material myself, but I'll wait until you have a good look at it, then I'd like to discuss it with you. Particularly one specimen I showed Raven. He was amazed to see it, but did not give me any clues as to it's taxonomic placing. He was quite surprised to see it though.

As I've told you before, I'm of the opinion that the australian "Phlogiellus" have phylogenetically nothing to do with the "original" Phlogiellus , namely Phlogiellus inermis from Malaysia and Singapore. Raven came to his conclusion because of the cracked Tarsus IV, but this character isn't useful to distinguish Taxa of Genus level, because there are also some Chilobrachys Species, especially from India, which are taxonomically totally different to the australian Theraphosid fauna but which have also a cracked Tarsus IV. To my opinion this character is an analogy and it is shown as a homoplasy in a cladogram.
Ahh, so Soren was correct! Do you plan on publishing anything in this regard? I'll be very interested to see what you think of the "Phlogiellus" material I send you. Thanks for taking the time on these questions. I'll PM you soon to get your shipping details.

Cheers,
Steve