Does any still keep Trapdoor Spiders

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Absolutely. I only see mine if I get up at 2:00am. Luckily she has electric blue under her legs so it makes the fleeting glimpses worthwhile. Not as bad as Euoplos though. I received one in September and since putting it in its enclosure it has simply sealed it's burrow and never showed itself, eaten, or even left any evidence to suggest it has exited it's hole. However it's incredible fatness leads me to think she might be dropping me an eggsac soon
I think I might get a Euoplos, very attractive spiders even if I’ll never see it

basin79

ArachnoGod
Seriously if you want to see a trapdoor get a Liphistius sp. Granted you only see them for milliseconds but you see them.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Liphistius would be a total dream to have. They look so ancient
Aye. Their trademark trapdoor with tripwires is smart too. They also seem to be so much more willing to feed "on queue".

No, taking the lid off for 10 mins beforehand. If they're hungry they'll eat.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
No, taking the lid off for 10 mins beforehand. If they're hungry they'll eat.
Sounds like the complete opposite of my Idiomatta. Usually only takes dead prey I stuff into the side of the trapdoor so she can slowly pick it up

basin79

ArachnoGod
Sounds like the complete opposite of my Idiomatta. Usually only takes dead prey I stuff into the side of the trapdoor so she can slowly pick it up
This is my first Liphistius sp and I've had the little rascal from a tiny sling and he/she has always been the same. Hungry? Eat.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
@Dennis Nedry if you're looking for Euoplos, my largest one actually came from somebody's garden around Victoria. If you know any areas that have alot of moisture year-round I'd really suggest having a look.
[Edit]
If you want a trapdoor that is visible every night at the entrance, and takes food 10 seconds after removing the lid, I suggest Cataxia. The slings I got from Minibeast have very quickly learned that the commotion of removing the lid is actually a cue for a beneficial event, so they close their lids for a second but will pretty much instantly be ready to feed again

Last edited:

Venom100

Arachnosquire
There's trapdoors out there, I see them for sale every now and then. I personally don't have any, but if you keep your eyes open you'll find some.
Yeah I see them for sale every now and then but after that you don’t see them for sometime.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Wanted to know if anyone still keeps Trapdoor door spiders. True trapdoor spiders become popular then fade and re emerge.
Nice observation :pompous:

Years ago the Africans (in particular) trapdoor spiders were somewhat big, nowadays seems that no one is interested anymore.

IMO they are quite boring :playful:

Venom100

Arachnosquire
Nice observation :pompous:

Years ago the Africans (in particular) trapdoor spiders were somewhat big, nowadays seems that no one is interested anymore.

IMO they are quite boring :playful:
Yeah not much activity lol but still beautiful when you do get a glimpse of them

arachnoherp

Arachnosquire
As of right now ive got liphistus cf ornatus, 2 ummidia audoini females who im looking for males for, sphodros rufipes female, and soon a c torreya

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Have an adult female Cyclocosmia torreya and 4 slings (not from her sac). Always looking for more.