Docile Arboreals

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im going to a reptile show tomaorw and maybe I can talk my mom into getting a fourth T. I want to take a list of Ts I may be interested in with me so if I see a good price, I know what Im doing. The only problem is that there are so many! Im basicaly looking for arboreal species. I would like them to be pretty docile. (they dont have to be puppy nice, just not flicking hairs or throwing up thret postures every time I fill the watter bowel) If anybody has any sugestions I would love to hear them! Please include the intire scientific name (like avicularia versicolor instead of a. avic) and some "common names", as well as pictures if you have them!

Thanks a ton!

* and I have A. versis right now and have had an A. avic, but thats it.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
pretty much any avicularia from what i've heard i've only owned the versicolors myself though and i've heard the Psalmopoeus irminia's (suntiger) are pretty decent as far as arboreals go i'm actually looking into getting one myself

VinceG

Arachnobaron
Avicularia sp. are the only ''handlable'' arboreals that you can get. But if you're not willing to handle it, you could go for Psalmopoeus Cambridgei, Psalmopoeus Pulcher, or Psalmopoeus Reduncus.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
to me any of the pokies i would see as docile(ish)....i mean i know im not a tarantula scientist or anything...i just mean that i have (in common names for you)
3 indian ornamental
4 sri lanken ornamental
4 ghost ornamental
4 fringed ornamental
6 mysore ornamental

and so far with my experience they mostly run and hide, i mean they will get deffencive if the paintbrush touches them one too many times, but other than that they run and hide....my one mysore ornamental is about 3 inches, and if you even move its deli cup, its running like crazy to get to its favorite hiding spot....although my 4 OBT run and hide also, and my 2 trinidad chevron, and my 3 togo starburst baboon, and my venezuelan suntiger....but i am either extremely lucky, or thats just how most of them are....although im not in any way pushing for any of the T's i mentioned...especially with the pokies having more potent venom, the togo's being speed of light fast, and in most cases the OBT's being like the zombies on 28 weeks later....best of luck

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

the suntigers are gorgeous, and awesome...but i have one thats about 3 inches, and it dont give me to much to worry about, but there is a page somewhere here on the net, and i have it on my laptop, but cant find it from this computer, anyways it says that they have the most potent venom, and can jump and glide, and run happily upside down on wet glass.....thats probably a reason why i want more than 1 though....

pretty much any avicularia from what i've heard i've only owned the versicolors myself though and i've heard the Psalmopoeus irminia's (suntiger) are pretty decent as far as arboreals go i'm actually looking into getting one myself

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Any Avicularia would do and that is pretty much the only one docile enough to handle. Most of the others are going to throw a pose when you stick your hand in the enclosure. It's a good thing there are many Avicularia to choose from {D. Try Avicularia metallica (Metallic Pinktoe and also seen them listed as Whitetoe) or Avicularia bicegoi (Brick Red Pinktoe and is one of my favorites). A. metallica are nice since they tend to be a dark, rich color and the A. bicegoi is awesome because they're just little hairballs. You can also try Avicularia purpurea (Purple Pinktoe) but this one I usually see run a little high in price here if I see them at all.

If you are worried about it being defensive, I wouldn't get anything other than an Avic IMHO. If you are up for a T with a slightly more defensive attitude, I wouldn't do a Poecilotheria or Psalmopoeus since they are very fast and can be perfectly willing to throw a fit. I would go for a Heteroscodra maculata (Togo Starburst) if you are up for a fast tarantula. These guys tend to be shy (though there are always exceptions) and run to the bottom when opening the top of my enclosures but I wouldn't be sticking your hand in the cage.

With all that said, if you want an arboreal tarantula that won't throw a threat posture, won't be overly defensive, and won't kick hairs too much, stick with Avicularia.

demasoni521

Arachnopeon
Tapinauchenius species I've heard are really cool arboreals too...especially T. Gigas, an reddish orange teleporter. Not sure of their venom, but I've just heard that they are fast and are New World. I doubt that reptile expos will have them though...

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I realy like the avics. I was just seeing if there where any other good genuses. Thanks for the help

Mez

Arachnoknight
Psalmopoeus irminia are fast as hell, and some have a bad temper, just like Pokies.
Avics would be my suggestion, but it depends on whether or not you want to hold it.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you aren't looking to handle, i'll second the votes for Tapinauchenius gigas (orange tree spider) or Psalmopoeus cambridgei (trinidad chevron).

Both will generally have webbed dirt curtain hides to retreat to, but neither are terribly defensive & don't have the venom of the pokies. I'd say should be able to find slings for about $20.

My T. gigas used to be a bit darty as a sling, they definitely give pokies a run for their money in the speed department. It's grown out of it now. Very pretty neon orange & pastel green contrast, someone I know has named them "Muppet" tarantulas & it fits them to a T!

Got my P. cambridgei as a large 6" MF. She doesn't really run for cover, & generally stands her ground, but i've yet to see her throw a threat pose. From others I know, sounds like P. cambridgei are much more calm then P. irminia. Very subtle beauty.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Im going to a reptile show tomaorw and maybe I can talk my mom into getting a fourth T...
to me any of the pokies...
He's asking for a tarantula he can talk his mom into letting him get. If you have to ask for permission to get a tarantula, then a hot species like any one of the many different members of the Poecilotheria isn't a good recommendation.

As for my recommendation, if you wanted to go with a 100% non-Avicularia arboreal, I suppose I'd have to recommend P. cambridgei (Trinidad Chevron). Like others have said, probably not the best handling species to go with as they are very very fast. So when you are going in to fill the water bowl, you will have to be more prepared to deal with an escape more so than defensive behavior.

I have another recommendation, though it isn't an arboreal species, it is known to have have semi-arboreal tendencies and that would be Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (Green Bottle Blue). They have been a bit more rare the past few years than in the past though. However if you come across one and it isn't being held for a high ransom, I think it would be worth considering.

**I should note that some people have reported GBB being flicky. I never noticed this when I was raising a GBB. Even with my A. geniculata which had a tendency to flick when annoyed, I wasn't ever concerned about hairs to the face. Why? I never put my face by my t's containers. My problem really was when I went to clean my t enclosures...barehanded. I just ordered my 1st two tarantulas in many years that have urticating hairs, which I am pretty sensitive to, and this go around I'll clean their enclosures with rubber gloves and tongs. If the t likes to cover their surroundings with their urticating hairs, using a face mask and eye protection might not be a bad idea either if you are bothered by hairs.

Last edited:

Lolita

Arachnoknight
[/COLOR]the suntigers are gorgeous, and awesome...but i have one thats about 3 inches, and it dont give me to much to worry about, but there is a page somewhere here on the net, and i have it on my laptop, but cant find it from this computer, anyways it says that they have the most potent venom, and can jump and glide, and run happily upside down on wet glass.....thats probably a reason why i want more than 1 though....

umm why would they have the most potent venom when P irminia's are new worlds?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I so love my Avicularia versicolor! She is the most docile tarantula in my collection, she doesen't show threat display, never bites, she is really calm, apart from my Brachypelma smithi girl, who throws me threat displays for even when superworm is droped next to her. {D

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
just what i read...

umm why would they have the most potent venom when P irminia's are new worlds?

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

that makes sense

Read http://www.exoticfauna.com/tarantulabibliography/genus_subfamily.html#SELENOCOSMIINAE

Pay special attention to the double asterisk at the bottom of the page.

That being said, read the bite reports. They don't seem to be nearly as bad as some of their old world counterparts from this subfamily.

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

yeah i know i was just saying that they are more of a run and hide, than attack T...and i told him in no way was i pushing to get one....just my personal preference....ive got deathstalker scorps so im not as worried about having pokies around

He's asking for a tarantula he can talk his mom into letting him get. If you have to ask for permission to get a tarantula, then a hot species like any one of the many different members of the Poecilotheria isn't a good recommendation.

As for my recommendation, if you wanted to go with a 100% non-Avicularia arboreal, I suppose I'd have to recommend P. cambridgei (Trinidad Chevron). Like others have said, probably not the best handling species to go with as they are very very fast. So when you are going in to fill the water bowl, you will have to be more prepared to deal with an escape more so than defensive behavior.

I have another recommendation, though it isn't an arboreal species, it is known to have have semi-arboreal tendencies and that would be Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (Green Bottle Blue). They have been a bit more rare the past few years than in the past though. However if you come across one and it isn't being held for a high ransom, I think it would be worth considering.

**I should note that some people have reported GBB being flicky. I never noticed this when I was raising a GBB. Even with my A. geniculata which had a tendency to flick when annoyed, I wasn't ever concerned about hairs to the face. Why? I never put my face by my t's containers. My problem really was when I went to clean my t enclosures...barehanded. I just ordered my 1st two tarantulas in many years that have urticating hairs, which I am pretty sensitive to, and this go around I'll clean their enclosures with rubber gloves and tongs. If the t likes to cover their surroundings with their urticating hairs, using a face mask and eye protection might not be a bad idea either if you are bothered by hairs.

Mez

Arachnoknight
Leiurus are absolutely nothing like a pokie, apart from being a completely different animal pokies are much faster.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
howcome there is always someone that says that? i do know that they are completely different...im just saying that, a fast T that has venom thats toxic yet still no where near what a Leiurus has, isnt that bad to have around...one gets out, you get bit....you live...scorp gets out you get stung, extremely high chance you dont make it...

Leiurus are absolutely nothing like a pokie, apart from being a completely different animal pokies are much faster.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
Read http://www.exoticfauna.com/tarantulabibliography/genus_subfamily.html#SELENOCOSMIINAE

Pay special attention to the double asterisk at the bottom of the page.

That being said, read the bite reports. They don't seem to be nearly as bad as some of their old world counterparts from this subfamily.
yeah i knew they were fairly potent for NW but from the way he said they're the most potnet made it seem like he was saying they were the most venomous T

Mez

Arachnoknight
Lol, I'm starting to think you may not even own scorpion, but for anyone wondering, the behaviour profile of a scorpion is nothing like a fast tarantula that lives in trees. End of!
Go for a versicolor, get a juvenile andwatch it grow.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
howcome there is always someone that says that? i do know that they are completely different...im just saying that, a fast T that has venom thats toxic yet still no where near what a Leiurus has, isnt that bad to have around...one gets out, you get bit....you live...scorp gets out you get stung, extremely high chance you dont make it...
Lol, I'm starting to think you may not even own scorpion, but for anyone wondering, the behaviour profile of a scorpion is nothing like a fast tarantula that lives in trees. End of!
Go for a versicolor, get a juvenile andwatch it grow.
I get what catfish is trying to say. And I agree, i'd be more worried about an escaped highly potent scorpion than an escaped highly potent tarantula. In general it seems the consequences & effects are much worse with a scorpion.

And Mez, the OP already has an A. versicolor. Sounds to me like they would like another option for something they don't already own.

Mez

Arachnoknight
Yeah, sorry, i knew that, just got side tracked!
Do you intend to hold the T?