Do your pedes "test bite"

357wheelgunner

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I will go out on a limb and say all the experts, and otherwise that handle their pedes are stupid, yes. But they accept that they will get bitten, and I'm goign to assume they will not fling or otherwise injure their pet. If thats the case with you, go ahead and keep handling and the rest of us that don't have the balls to :rolleyes: (doesn't that make you warm and fuzzy inside :liar: ) will enjoy reading it.
The most truth in this entire thread.

It's like my friend who smokes: He knows he's stupid for doing it, but admits it, so I can't really challenge his decision.

If you want to hold an aggressive creature capable of making you miserable, you're stupid. Admit it, it's OK :) Just don't hurt your pet when it does bite you (it'll be much sooner than 98 times from now, you've probably smashed the odds by now) by "flinging it across the room" like another poster did.

I held my emporer scorpion once, and I probably won't do it again. It wasn't worth the risk, just like I don't like it when bees land on me outside. I don't freak out and they don't sting me, but it's not something I want to push even if the sting won't be fatal.

After reading the bite reports for various centipedes I have to agree that they are not to be handled, it's just not worth the misery and potential complications.

OP, learn to spell, or at least proofread your posts, they're rife with spelling errors. I'm not trying to bust on you, just friendly advice: On the internet the only way you have to express yourself is your typing. Sloppy typing makes you look bad.

hibludij

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
centipedes fangs are propably like our arms and when they encounter something new they want to see what it is. I have seen my pedes "bite" almost everything, from water cups to bark, banana, twizers, silicon(in vivariums).

never handled my pedes thou!

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks guys! I have been watching and they do indeed do this to alot of things they encounter.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Mine tend to use thier "fangs' for leverage if they find themselfs being inverted or rolled. Also for general tactile exploration. This thread contains a compilation of the most ireprehensibly lame coments I have seen in a good amount of time. A person that chosses to handle anything does so at thier own risk ( ImE) Challanging a persons intelligence for it is infact a stupid action in and of itself. That said, I think there is a percfect thread for example of what could be confused as test biting is one in which GBB using its fangs for grip. It wasnt thought of as a test bite, but could easily be misconstrewn.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah me and all my friends are still bite free. It dont bother me anymore though im so used to it doing this.

swat_wilson

Arachnopeon
Apart from giving you a big hand of handling a centipede , i have nothing to say:eek:

You are very brave :worship:

(But i think it is not very sensible for us to handle centipedes without proper protective clothing :eek: i am used to wear the NOMEX US Air-force issued pilot gloves when i try to get them {D )

Senses-Tingling

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Umm honestly you are stupid for owning a cobra or a really venomous snake.
I don't think owning a venomous snake makes a person stupid. It all depends on how careful the owner is and whether or not he/she is putting other people's lives at risk. A venomous snake can be raised in a safe fashion, just as many T's, cents, and scorps are.
How can you own a venomous pet and then call another venomous pet owner stupid? The owner of the pet (and local laws) should get to decide what is too dangerous.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think owning a venomous snake makes a person stupid. It all depends on how careful the owner is and whether or not he/she is putting other people's lives at risk. A venomous snake can be raised in a safe fashion, just as many T's, cents, and scorps are.
How can you own a venomous pet and then call another venomous pet owner stupid? The owner of the pet (and local laws) should get to decide what is too dangerous.

Yeah sorry this was an old thread and I was argueing with someone who was calling me ignorant. But yes thats true, I own quite a few very hot species of inverts and locally caught reptiles :rolleyes: But snakes are without a doubt more complicated to keep safely... I mean its obvious.. no offense I dont mean to offend anyone on here I try to be better than that.. But snakes are larger and alot more aggressive than any species of centipede and T's.

SlowNail

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally Posted by cjm1991
Umm honestly you are stupid for owning a cobra or a really venomous snake. It could kill any of your pets and you by just trying to drop a rat in for it to destroy... and they get like 8 foot...

8 foot cobras? That can't be right, can it?

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The King Cobra can get up to 15 feet in the wild. 8 feet is nothing in captivity my uncle owns 3 of them. None of them are 8' yet but all around 6. And would definately kill you if it bit you. The nearest hospital is over an hour from his house. Thats why I disagree with him on owning Cobras and Rattlesnakes. Theres a video of youtube I believe of a 14 foot one being handled.

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
look i dont know the exact percentages but ive never been bitten and for those of u calling people who handle their inverts stupid then ur saying that people who handle dogs and cats r to cuz ive been nibbled on by dogs and cats my whole life. and if your pede hasnt bitten u hard maybe he is just curious cuz my scorp puts pressure on my fingers but just to check out his surroundings. now no more tit for tat cuz everyone handles their pets! and if u dont want to u dont have to but if u do dont listen to those who call u dumb.:embarrassed:

colicabcadam

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
handle your pede as much as you want mate, but be warned that if it bites it will hurt!

Everyone on here just seems to be negative because others have different opinions, no ones opinion on this site is correct, if it's such a bad idea handling a pede, then surley it's a bad idea keeping them in a container.

SpaceHawk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Umm honestly you are stupid for owning a cobra or a really venomous snake. It could kill any of your pets and you by just trying to drop a rat in for it to destroy... and they get like 8 foot... so seriously theres a MONSTEROUS difference between venomous snakes and inverts. As far as being bit I never have but im sure it would make me ALOT more careful the next time ;) Now can a Pro tell me a good answer to my question and stay on topic... besides if its stupid to handle them then why do alot of experts hold there pedes?? Are you questioning them? If so prepare for a brutal flamming
You are really uneducated. People keep hot reptiles the SAME reason you and everyone here keeps Androctonus scorpions or any other venomous invert for that matter, which some species of Androc's have caused as many deaths as Cape Cobra's in Northern Africa.

BOTTOM LINE IS: Your Invert's DO NOT AND WILL NOT beg to be handled. This does not tame them down or help them adjust to captivity. ALL YOU are doing is stressing your invert out, period, whether it shows or not. Keeping them heathly, thriving and hopefully breeding is the reason for it. They are not cuddlely "pets" and temping as it may be to hold them there is absolutely no reason for it, except for to say "Yeah...and I hold it too..wanna see?"

Get a different hobby before you get yourself a hot animal and get yourself stung, bit or both.

And by the way, I manage a vet hospital, do Venom research professionally and breed several upons several reptiles. I guess this makes me somewhat of a "pro" as you so plainly put.

Are you ready to give me a brutal come back? Ridiculous...

Last edited:

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah me and all my friends are still bite free. It dont bother me anymore though im so used to it doing this.
um yea i dont normally look at things about centipedes and such (just not what im into when it comes to inverts)
but i had to laugh at this, cjm1991.

i said the same thing working with some reptiles and arachnids. and guess what. i got bit.

im not gonna state my opinions or anything, i dont like to argue most of the time, but anyone who handles any kind of animal that can bite or harm you should remember this:

"its not if you get bitten. its when"

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im trying to experience a few interesting things whilst on this earth. Keeping some pedes fits right in there for me. Handling them is part of that experience. And so is getting tagged and envenomated. I wouldnt have it any other way.

Look.. you're not stupid if you choose to handle your pede and you're not a pansy if you choose not to.
BUT.. yer a stupid pansy if you handle while hoping you wont get bit.:rolleyes: You also can be a stupid pansy staring at your pede enclosure longing for the real connection and compensating for your fear by blowing hot air against handling on invert boards. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pedes that dont bite ...what a bore.

Testbites? .. hands are made out of meat.. of course a pede will now and then just give a little poke to check things out.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A friend of mine just likes being a stupid pansy, and he doesn't even own a pede:)

coffin pest

Arachnopeon
Why on earth would you want to keep an animal you can only look at? With proper technique handling pedes and all inverts is easy and you have about a 99% chance of not being bitten. If you get bit its something you did wrong. But they feel awesome walking around your hands/fingers/ext... I still would like a definate answer but that does sound true.. I live in a warmer climate also but Ive never been bit only "test bit". It doesnt even hurt its just kinda freaky when its your hand and those big fangs :eek:

-CJM-
Something called scientific observation; little bit beyond pet-keeping.

SpaceHawk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Something called scientific observation; little bit beyond pet-keeping.
This is exactly the point in keeping most inverts, great comment.

This is the most irresponsible husbandry practice you guys are talking about, and I would rank it up there with being a novice and trying to keep cobra's and trying to handle them as well, regardless of whether or not one can do more damage than the other, it is still bad practice and can potentially be dangerous to you and to the animal (what if you toss it across the room after being bit because it startled you?).

If you guys want to ooooh and ahhhh everybody with your dumb antics why not try to join the Jackass crew? It would be funnier to watch you get bit then to listen to you try and defend your position on WHY you handle your pede's.