Do your pedes "test bite"

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(what if you toss it across the room after being bit because it startled you?)..
You mean..like.. when someone completely forgets hes handling a 7" invertebrate? :? :roll:

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
handle your pede as much as you want mate, but be warned that if it bites it will hurt!

Everyone on here just seems to be negative because others have different opinions, no ones opinion on this site is correct, if it's such a bad idea handling a pede, then surley it's a bad idea keeping them in a container.
I agree theres not really a better way to put it.;P, And also im not a scientist so I dont enjoy just observing things from a close distance.. call my stupid or whatever but I think handling them and testing their behavior is just as such scientific examination and looking at them in a container..

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Get bit by millipedes, its more fun.

I have been bitten by my millipedes when they test bite, but it doesn't hurt, it doesn't break the skin, and they are not venomous.

I personally would not handle a centipede except for the tiny harmless and blind soil centipedes. Most people in the hobby consider centipedes display only pets. It is a question of risk/reward and if holding the centipede is worth the risk of a painful venomous bite, this is America, and they have the right to be bitten, as long as they don't hurt others.

However, if they end up in the emergency room they can be hurting others by:

#1 Taking up emergency room space and a doctor's time.

#2 Driving up the cost of medical insurance.

#3 Giving the invertebrate keeping hobby a bad reputation in the public's eye.

Holding a centipede is not an accident, so the bite would have to be considered premeditated. :wall:

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You are really uneducated. People keep hot reptiles the SAME reason you and everyone here keeps Androctonus scorpions or any other venomous invert for that matter, which some species of Androc's have caused as many deaths as Cape Cobra's in Northern Africa.

BOTTOM LINE IS: Your Invert's DO NOT AND WILL NOT beg to be handled. This does not tame them down or help them adjust to captivity. ALL YOU are doing is stressing your invert out, period, whether it shows or not. Keeping them heathly, thriving and hopefully breeding is the reason for it. They are not cuddlely "pets" and temping as it may be to hold them there is absolutely no reason for it, except for to say "Yeah...and I hold it too..wanna see?"

Pretty well said... even though this thread is like 3 months old of course. But I handle them alot less now. Usually right when I get a new invert I will handle it for a couple mins and then never again just enough to get a pic or 2.

Get a different hobby before you get yourself a hot animal and get yourself stung, bit or both.

And by the way, I manage a vet hospital, do Venom research professionally and breed several upons several reptiles. I guess this makes me somewhat of a "pro" as you so plainly put.

Well if your a "pro" at what you do then why shouldn't you mess with them if its what you do as a job?
Are you ready to give me a brutal come back? Ridiculous...
Wow. I hope that makes you feel tough, an attempt at pride over the internet.

SpaceHawk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
C'mon, you really can't be serious about your question...?

Being a "pro (such a dumb way to put it)" at keeping, breeding, handling and basic biology of the animals you either keep and or study, doesn't justify stupid actions on the "pro's" part and it is up to the experienced handler and keeper to educate novice keepers. If people stayed stupid and never learned anything, either from mistakes or from other people who know better, than the whole herp and invert practice would be banned and illegal due to everyone doing things with their animals that would help bring down all the red tape.

If you study, lets say Sharks, you don't stick your hand in their mouths or ride them like a dolphin just because you can read their body language better then the sharks themselves.

And BTW, you said "who would argue with a pro", so I gave you my background so that you can see I know what I am talking about. If it makes you feel "little" then thats your fault, I only stated what was what and didn't boast about it.

Man you're a funny little kid...get off the internet and go read some books.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry im a little kid, but what kind of mature person would waste so much time trying to argue with a child? I agree'd to almost everything you said in your original post (almost everything). Now I guess you feel like your pride is hurt so you keep trying to argue.{D

SpaceHawk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good for you on being able to learn, that is what this is all about. Observe and study your inverts and leave them alone to do what they do naturally without trying to stress them out all the time.

My poor pride... :)