Display Enclosure for Growing Terrestrial

notstephcooper

Arachnopeon
As my little spider approaches a few inches (looking to be in premolt again!), I'm going to have to increase the size of his enclosure. I'm lucky to have a super inquisitive little fella who spends a lot of time out & about, so I'm hoping to get some suggestions.

Ideally, it wouldn't break the bank... but I'm willing to drop a little bit of cash if it nets me an attractive, appropriate enclosure. I've considered a fish tank, but was hoping there are suggestions more suited for the low height requirements of a terrestrial T.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I opted for a 5.5 gallon aquarium with a screen lid for my 4" G. pulchripes. I've filled half of the tank with coco fiber so that there isn't a long drop from the ceiling to the floor, just in case it decides to climb. You don't want to risk a ruptured abdomen from a long fall.

Advantages: Can see the T very clearly from the side when it's out, easy to put in food, easy to clean messes or change water with tongs
Disadvantages: More expensive than something plastic/DIY, takes up more vertical room than necessary, heavier, no ventilation from the sides.

notstephcooper

Arachnopeon
He's a B. vagans. Perhaps not the most exciting coloration, but man do I love that jet black/blood red contrast after a fresh molt! I'll pop over there and take a peek. Thanks!

Thanks for the additional recommendation! I was planning to pile on the substrate if I couldn't find a lower enclosure, I'm just not super keen on the aesthetic of half a tank filled with substrate. (still better than a ruptured abdomen though, fer sure)

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
He's a B. vagans. Perhaps not the most exciting coloration, but man do I love that jet black/blood red contrast after a fresh molt! I'll pop over there and take a peek. Thanks!

Thanks for the additional recommendation! I was planning to pile on the substrate if I couldn't find a lower enclosure, I'm just not super keen on the aesthetic of half a tank filled with substrate. (still better than a ruptured abdomen though, fer sure)
If you want to, you can put something in there on the bottom (a hollow box, tupperware container etc) to take up a decent amount of volume, and then put the substrate around it and a couple more inches on top of it. There is always the possibility that a burrower could dig it up, but it makes the tank lighter to lift and wastes less money on substrate. If you still just don't like the way it looks, there are other options.

Last edited:

notstephcooper

Arachnopeon
Yeah, almost embarrassed to say it's 100% a question of looks. I only have space for one T right now, and I love them & love to watch them move about, so it's completely selfish. Just hoping to find a compromise that satisfies my want for a desk-worthy display & the tarantula's needs. Will obviously sacrifice as needed to ensure little Jellybean has a suitable enclosure, though.

Weight isn't a huge concern, as I don't interact with the enclosure often... perhaps even beneficial, since my cat will likely realize there's a strange critter in the weird-little box soon!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Kritter keepers. cheap, clear, and perfect for arid terrestrials.
I have a bunch of those too. I like them for juveniles and small adults (even though they're more expensive than other options) but they're only made up to a certain size, and then you have to step up to something else for the big'uns.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I have a bunch of those too. I like them for juveniles and small adults (even though they're more expensive than other options) but they're only made up to a certain size, and then you have to step up to something else for the big'uns.
theyre the cheapest for a nice display cage, you dont have to alter the lid like you would a fish tank, and theyre much clearer than shoe boxes.
i dont know if youve ever seen the largest size... a 6 7 inch spider could do fine for life in one.

cold blood

Staff member
0114161755.jpg
I opted for a 5.5 gallon aquarium with a screen lid for my 4" G. pulchripes. I've filled half of the tank with coco fiber so that there isn't a long drop from the ceiling to the floor, just in case it decides to climb. You don't want to risk a ruptured abdomen from a long fall.
Screen tops should be avoided. Just go to a hardware store and have them cut a top in acrylic or plexiglass and drill it out. Not only is it safer, its much better viewing through it.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
theyre the cheapest for a nice display cage, you dont have to alter the lid like you would a fish tank, and theyre much clearer than shoe boxes.
i dont know if youve ever seen the largest size... a 6 7 inch spider could do fine for life in one.
I didn't have to alter the lid for mine, but it was bundled together with the tank in the reptile area of Petsmart, so it wasn't intended for fish.

I've think I've got the largest KK that either Petsmart or Petco sells, but there could be another size made that I've never seen. Mine are a little bit smaller than the 5.5 tank.

shutout2000

Arachnoknight
I didn't have to alter the lid for mine, but it was bundled together with the tank in the reptile area of Petsmart, so it wasn't intended for fish.

I've think I've got the largest KK that either Petsmart or Petco sells, but there could be another size made that I've never seen. Mine are a little bit smaller than the 5.5 tank.
Definetly what this guy said. ;)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'd go with these. Not overly expensive but nice and clear. I've been using these for all my juvie terrestrial Ts and they work great. Just drill a few holes in the lid and add a clasp to keep the lid closed.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

you misunderstand, you should def alter the screen lid to make it safe for your terrestrial tarantula. it was in the reptiles section, what made you think it was intended for tarantulas? ;)
a 5g tank is fine for a 6, 7 inch spider.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
IME choosing the right enclosure is like choosing the right tarantula :) I've only bought freshwater moss from these guys but I've seen all types of shallow tanks if that's what you're looking for. I'm sure you can find a similar supplier in your area.
http://aionair.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=20_144

I like seamless and rounded corners on my enclosures, so I use the shallow ones @Trenor uses. Here's how I fashioned mine.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
you misunderstand, you should def alter the screen lid to make it safe for your terrestrial tarantula. it was in the reptiles section, what made you think it was intended for tarantulas? ;)
a 5g tank is fine for a 6, 7 inch spider.
There is no tank intended specifically for tarantulas. Your choices in a store are 1) a plain tank with no lid 2) an aquarium set with a filter, heater, etc or 3) a tank + screen lid sold together. Of the three, the last one seemed the most appropriate.

I've heard to avoid using mesh before, but never anything bad about screen lids. Enlighten me.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
There is no tank intended specifically for tarantulas. Your choices in a store are 1) a plain tank with no lid 2) an aquarium set with a filter, heater, etc or 3) a tank + screen lid sold together. Of the three, the last one seemed the most appropriate.

I've heard to avoid using mesh before, but never anything bad about screen lids. Enlighten me.
well, theres actually acrylic tanks made just for tarantulas by some people. jamiestarantulas.com sells them.

when a tarantula is climbing upside down on a screen lid, they can get their tarsal claws stuck and dangle, falling or losing a leg. there was a thread just a day or two ago about some one who found their GBB molting with its tarsal claws stuck in the screen, the spider made it out okay but having three legs stuck while molting surely complicated things. i think screen is okay for arboreals, but only metal, widely spaced screen. thin tight screen can still get them stuck, not to mention they can chew holes through it and escape. i also use screen for my H cf hercules, it rarely makes a appearance and when it does it doesnt go about climbing. (i dont film it 24/7 so i dont know for sure.. ) but again, its widely spaced metal screen. dont use it for terrestrials.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Yeah, almost embarrassed to say it's 100% a question of looks. I only have space for one T right now, and I love them & love to watch them move about, so it's completely selfish. Just hoping to find a compromise that satisfies my want for a desk-worthy display & the tarantula's needs. Will obviously sacrifice as needed to ensure little Jellybean has a suitable enclosure, though.
These Exo Terra Breeding Boxes work well for smaller terrestrials. They are clear and stackable.