did you know?

tony77tony77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
did you know ....If you put a drop of liquor on a scorpion, it will instantly go mad and sting itself to death. {D {D {D

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
weird

I did not know that :clap:

maybe someday i'll try that in the intrests of science..

what were u doing pooring liquor on ur scorps?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya I know that. I saw it a few times on youtube, and on Discovery Channel. Very interesting, but not the right way to go.

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm interested in the science behind this, what about a drop of liquor would turn a scorp suicidal. I could maybe understand if the scorp ingested it maybe but just a drop on the skin? I don't get it.:confused: :confused: :confused:

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i actually know some peopl who get like that when they drink!lol

corwin3180

Arachnopeon
Per Wikipedia:

Suicide Misconception

"The belief that scorpions commit suicide by stinging themselves to death when surrounded by fire is of considerable antiquity and is often prevalent where these animals exist. It is nevertheless untrue since the venom has no effect on the scorpion itself, nor on any member of the same species (unless the venom is injected directly into the scorpion's nerve ganglion—quite an unlikely event outside of the laboratory). The misconception may derive from the fact that scorpions are poikilotherms (cold-blooded): when exposed to intense heat their metabolic processes malfunction. This causes the scorpion to spasm wildly and this spasming may appear as if the scorpion is stinging itself. It is also untrue that alcohol will cause scorpions to sting themselves to death."

Urizen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also heard that if silly people stick their hands next to a scorpion, the scorpion gets mad and stings the person.

Strange but true.

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I also heard that if silly people stick their hands next to a scorpion, the scorpion gets mad and stings the person.

Strange but true.
i have also observed this. although more often then not i see 'dumb' people rather then silly people doing such a thing.

that's interesting on what u found on wikipedia, i guess then I won't do any experments now... that does make sence, it probally burns them sence they are so small, there body's can't handle the alcohol like we can.

Aillith

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's more then likely the alcohol stings them and they think they are being attacked, so they lash out at anything and nothing. Not actually stinging themselves.

They likely die due to the stress of it.

So to a common person, it probably looks like the scorpion has stung itself to death. When infact, they've just stressed the crap out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
over indulgence?

It's more then likely the alcohol stings them and they think they are being attacked, so they lash out at anything and nothing. Not actually stinging themselves.

They likely die due to the stress of it.

So to a common person, it probably looks like the scorpion has stung itself to death. When infact, they've just stressed the shit out of it.

good point, that's a great conclusion. :clap:

I was also thinking maybe that drop or so of liquor gets obsorbed into their system and they die of over-intoxication because to their small bodies, a drop might be like 25 beers to one of us. and they are just really mean drunks {D