Decisions,Decisions,Decisions.

Greaper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wouldnt pass down a G.pulchra is you have the chance. I have raised several and they are all the most docile T's I have ever had experiance with.

If you want something docile, G.pulchra is for you. Brachypelma, with my past, have all been horrible hair flickers, and that is including B.albopobilosum(curley-hair).

nowhereman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bpkid said:
Ok,my mom has decided it's okay to get a tarantula.BUT, I have to wait until Mid-February. :( Which is fine by me,because she said if I wait,she would pay for it and everything it needs.I've decided on G.aureostriata from Swifts.In order to make that purchase,I have to buy another to make the minumum order of $20.I'm fine with that,actually,I'm quite exited about that.Two T's and a freebie!Here's the question....

If you were in my shoes,which would you get?

G.Pulchra
OR
A.Versicolor
OR
E.Campestratus
OR
B.Boehmei?

If you reccomend something else,please specify.

If you have a Chaco golden knee (Grammostola aureostriata) as an option, get one. As for your list: G.Pulchra is a super T we wouldn't take a million bucks for ours. She's a real sweetie. If you are getting a sling beware they are slow growers. Ours is almost 5 years old.
A.Versicolor is another sweetie. Brilliant colors when slings and a handsome T when reaching adulthood. They can be speedy but that's never been a problem and do need a little extra care.
E.Campestratus, we have one on the way so I'd have to hold my comments.
B.Boehmei, this is one of the most beautiful brachys. Ours is a hair flicking fool. Unless it grows out of this stage better be prepared for the brachy itch if you want to handle it.
We have pics of these in our gallery except the E.Campestratus... :)

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
E.Campestratus are realy so calm ??!! the only one that i had seen wonted to eat my finger when i tryed to put im at my hand :p

Bpkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm guess I'll take G.aureostriata and G.Pulchra.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You'll change your mind dozens of times between now and February, especially if you keep reading the board.

If the hair kicking issue is problem then look at something in an Avicularia. They have urticating hairs but don't kick them at all. They will try to rub their abdomen on you and rub the hairs into your skin but they aren't airborne like the others and are the least irritating of the urticating types. Avicularia do have a habit of "shooting" poop at you when they get stressed or nervous.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What do you expect from a tarantula as a pet?

What do intend to do with it once you have one?

The answers to these question would help everyone greatly in recommending suitable species for you.

Bpkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't want something that's known to be fast,well,I do,but my mom doesn't.I want something that looks good,doesn't go on eating strikes,and docile.

I want to enjoy the tarantula by watching it,and handling it.Like I said before,I probably won't handle it more than 3 times a week.

Rounder

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How about a Green bottle blue? How can anyone NOT have 1 of those?? Very easy to care for, very exotic looking in my opinion, I personally wouldn't handle mine but it is not aggressive at all, maybe a bit skittish, but not anymore than B. boehmei. C. fasciatum are very cool as well.

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
mild venom .. - and very fast , sometimes agresive spider :p

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your first choice of G.aureostriata is a good one. After that E. Campestratus(but slings will grow like cacti), B. smithi, B. emilia or A. Avicularia would be my recommendations. Brachypelma do kick but usually calm down rather quickly, IME.

You won't get away from the urticating bristles if you get New Worlders and Old Worlders are faster(some appear to almost teleport) and much more defensive. You'll get exposed to urticating bristles sooner or later even if the individual tarantula you have doesn't kick. You will come in contact with them if you handle the tarantula and when you do routine enclosure maintainence. **The most important thing is to avoid getting urticating bristles in your eyes.**

Sandra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm happy for your first choice too, the G.aureostriata. We are very happy with ours.

I'm planning (if all goes well) to get a baby Avic.avic in a couple days for my second spider. It was one of two that came recommended for a beginner.

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i think that goggles are usless ,, - dont touch eyes after handling ts .. and dont inhal the air from spider conteiner either

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes that would help keep it out of your eyes but still going to get you else where and itch like crazy, IMO emilia's seem to be the best of the brachies for not kicking, also my two ruhnaui's don't seem to kick either, every smithi I have and have encountered have been kicking machines and then as far as avics go don't be intimidated by there speed as they are not all that fast, I would say more quick then fast, normally just a quick burst of speed and then slow down but as docile as any, great choice on the chaco, very nice T big docile teddy bears. Good luck, Greg

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
B.Sabulosum? - ok
C.Fasciatum? - no
A.Brocklehursti? - no