Decisions,Decisions,Decisions.

Bpkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok,my mom has decided it's okay to get a tarantula.BUT, I have to wait until Mid-February. :( Which is fine by me,because she said if I wait,she would pay for it and everything it needs.I've decided on G.aureostriata from Swifts.In order to make that purchase,I have to buy another to make the minumum order of $20.I'm fine with that,actually,I'm quite exited about that.Two T's and a freebie!Here's the question....

If you were in my shoes,which would you get?

G.Pulchra
OR
A.Versicolor
OR
E.Campestratus
OR
B.Boehmei?

If you reccomend something else,please specify.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would take a Nahandu chromatus as well...great colour and great eaters...and easy to care for as well...good luck...

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bpkid said:
I'm looking for more docile species

You could look at getting a Brachypelma albopilosum ( curly hair ) very calm , good eaters and get to be a pretty good size and very very easy to care for...

Regards, Mike

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
if U wont calm bohemei isnt whot U are loocking after , avics are bed molters - not for unexpirianced ( my opinion but they are calm ) campestratus ,, hmm i think its not too calm either ... so whot is the last choise ?? :p:p

Katt

Arachnopeon
I say, calm and big pulchra!

But I would take any one, or heck all of them!

Avics I hear can be tricky raising up from s'lings.

Bpkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pulchra looks cool,I'll pick one of those up.

Hwarang

Arachnopeon
Baku, E.campestratus is known as one of the most docile species :) But it grow very slow :/
But if I was Bpkid I'd take all of them

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would probably choose the G.pulchra because they are very calm and sweet. The B.bohemei is more on the skittish side and a hair flicker but has beautiful coloring I think :)

Bpkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just had a question,it might be stupid but,

Do all T's flick hairs?

Hwarang

Arachnopeon
No :) From Your propositions B.boehmei will be kicker. Arboreal do not kick hairs, i had never seen grammostola kicking, and E.campestratus could kick but only in extreme situations i think

Bpkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So pretty much Brachy's are the ones who are known for kicking hairs?

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Between now and mid-February I'd suggest you get either or both of the following books to read and study:

Tarantulas and Other Arachnids(2nd ed.) by Sam Marshall
ISBN: 0-7641-1463-8

The Tarantula Keepers Guide by Stanley A. Schultz and Marguerite J. Schultz ISBN: 0-7641-0076-9

Both books are published by Barron's Educational Series.

I'd say get a B. smithi ,if you don't mind spending the extra cash, in addition to the G.aureostriata. B. smithi is the classic pet tarantula. Its the animal that basically started the hobby.

All New World Tarantulas possess urticating bristles(hair) and will kick them if stressed but the amount of stress required will vary. New World Tarantulas are species originating from North and South America. New World tarantulas are considered less defensive as a general rule than their Old World counterparts. Although with tarantulas there are almost always exceptions to any rules or guidelines we would like to apply to them.

Since you are most likely getting spiderlings I'd suggest that you read the following guide from Michael Jacobi(The Spider Shoppe):

http://www.spidershoppe.com/caresheets/spiderlings.pdf

IMO, it is one of the better written guides available on the topic.

Until the you get some of the books I've already recommended you might also look around on the sites that are also recommended in the Care Sheet section at The Spider Shoppe:

http://www.spidershoppe.com/care_sheets.html

Bpkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Buspirone said:
Between now and mid-February I'd suggest you get either or both of the following books to read and study:

Tarantulas and Other Arachnids(2nd ed.) by Sam Marshall
ISBN: 0-7641-1463-8

The Tarantula Keepers Guide by Stanley A. Schultz and Marguerite J. Schultz ISBN: 0-7641-0076-9

Both books are published by Barron's Educational Series.

I'd say get a B. smithi ,if you don't mind spending the extra cash, in addition to the G.aureostriata. B. smithi is the classic pet tarantula. Its the animal that basically started the hobby.

All New World Tarantulas possess urticating bristles(hair) and will kick them if stressed but the amount of stress required will vary. New World Tarantulas are species originating from North and South America. New World tarantulas are considered less defensive as a general rule than their Old World counterparts. Although with tarantulas there are almost always exceptions to any rules or guidelines we would like to apply to them.

Since you are most likely getting spiderlings I'd suggest that you read the following guide from Michael Jacobi(The Spider Shoppe):

http://www.spidershoppe.com/caresheets/spiderlings.pdf

IMO, it is one of the better written guides available on the topic.

Until the you get some of the books I've already recommended you might also look around on the sites that are also recommended in the Care Sheet section at The Spider Shoppe:

http://www.spidershoppe.com/care_sheets.html
The spiderling thing won't work?

Bpkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok,thanks.You guys are really helpful.but heres th problem.It says : Can not find file blah,blah,blah,spiderling,blah.Make sure the adress or path is correct.

Last edited:

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bpkid said:
Ok,thanks.You guys are really helpful.but heres th problem.It says : Can not find file blah,blah,blah,spiderling,blah.Make sure the adress or path is correct.
It works fine here...if you want send me your e-mail address via PM and I'll send you the file.

Lochala

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd say you should get the G. pulchra. They get up to 5-6 inches and are very stocky. They are so very sweet and a nice velvety black. Mine has never even flicked a hair before.