Davus fasciatus

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Is it just me? or is this species not talked about as much as others. Through the boards I have found out a lot about a lot of species but this one eludes me. I know what they look like and that's about it. I saw some slings for sale which got me thinking that I know pretty much nothing about this species or even the entire genus.

So what are they like to own?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Not just you. I have kept many of these beautiful species and they are very underrated. For being so similar to the great GBB it deserves more attention as is very easy on the eye too. Also such simple care.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Tagging along, could use some mire info on these as well.
I got a tiny sling as a freebie some weeks ago. It's a burrowing species, but mine also webs up the space between substrate and lid. Good eaters, as slings. Not very flighty so far.
The species' name is somewhat different here, Davus pentalore. Previously Cyclosternum fasciatus.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
t's a burrowing species, but mine also webs up the space between substrate and lid. Good eaters, as slings. Not very flighty so far.
They will start to leave the burrows as adults and web the entire enclosure same as GBB

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
They are not, nor have been in the hobby. There was a recent paper done on them by Ray Gabriel. C. fasciatum, C, pentalore are all Davus pentaloris (paper shows 4 diff abdomen markings/locals) D. fasciatusis is described but hasn't been in the hobby pics drawings show it smaller and with a dark or black carapace.

This paper
Revised taxonomic placement of the species in
the Central American genera Davus O. Pickard-
Cambridge, 1892, Metriopelma Becker, 1878, and
Schizopelma F. O. Pickard-Cambridge, 1897, with
comments on species in related genera (Araneae:
Theraphosidae)
Ray Gabriel

http://birdspiders.com/gallery/index.php/search?q=Davus+facsiatus&submit=Go
http://arachnids.myspecies.info/taxonomy/term/1652

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek

KezyGLA

Arachnoking

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I wouldn't say that they are underrated or else. Recently, maybe yes. I've read/heard more about that continuing name moving lately than someone asking about their care or else, that's true, but years ago they were pretty popular, at least here in Italy. Nice T's, not IMO the state of the art but nice T's.