Genus Cyriopagopus (a.k.a. Haplopelma)

Arachnoking

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How big is that female? it looks tiny. the same size as the ones bought at the show. Also i wasnt nit picking. i was making an observation :)

RichardDegville

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Shes about 2.5 inch the 'Lampropelma' type is about the same size just more stocky
happy now?

Last edited:

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Arachnoking said:
Heres a ventral view of one of my Cyriopagopus sp "blue" anyone care to take a guess at what sex it is?. i still have another which is shedding.

Keep your hair on Rich lol :D
is it a male? cos i can see a little bit of black between the upper book lungs.

Arachnoking

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
same as mine then.have hopefully got my adult female P.miranda coming in a couple of weeks too :D

Arachnoking

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
no im not happy rich. i dont appreciate being spoken to like that . sorry guys and mods but there was no need for that. i asked a simple question.

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Arachnoking said:
Heres a ventral view of one of my Cyriopagopus sp "blue" anyone care to take a guess at what sex it is?. i still have another which is shedding.

I think it could be female the epyginal plate is more triangular than straight. At that size though your better off waiting for it to moult then get out the microscope etc

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G_Wright said:
I think it could be female the epyginal plate is more triangular than straight. At that size though your better off waiting for it to moult then get out the microscope etc
what is that black spot between the upper book lungs?

Arachnoking

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for your mput G. Ill wait for it to shed again and send the skin off to Chris.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
RichardDegville said:
Bloody hell there's no pleasing some people just nit pick at every thing :? first I want to see a pic now the pics not good enough the photographed specimen is male its a good bit bigger than my females the females are more brown possible premoult or just retared growth due to being females that males just moulted :D just sit back and enjoy the pic dude I'll take some photos of the females in due course for you to have a nit pic at NOT lol :)

Leon I dont know if they are from the same batch at the BTS show Alvin never said + Brendan has a 3.5 specimen sent direct also soooooooo...... :confused: my new camera does kinda pic out all the colours im well chuffed with it {D
Aye, thought it might be a male (ie larger then most) as it has more colouration and looks more "grown up" than the ones I've seen from that batch. :)

RichardDegville

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeh true mate the other males the same size and all the females are small I dunno if they are from the same batch or not (BTS) but if they are Brendans got a male thats sexed guaranteed female via Alvin or mr Goh if its not they will replace nice guys!!!

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
RichardDegville said:
Hi mate is that a female blue? :?
It's a dedicated moult chewer so I haven't had a chance to be 100% sure either way. Don't like sexing ventrally at the best of times!

RichardDegville

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
its a <edit> biggen mate!!! lol fair play!!! nice beast

Last edited by a moderator:

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Male

I also remember Alvin saying that there's a high percentage of males in batches from this species ;-)

Søren

Arachnoking said:

Arachnoking

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dont mean this to sound rude Soren but what are u basing the reply of it being male on? could u demonstrate. im just very curious

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's not rude, that's curiosity ;-) and I will try to explain the best I can:

First thing I am basing my assumption on is the knowledge of epiandrous fusillae. In other words the knowledge of the existance of the silk glands males are using when creating the dense and finest silk in their sperm web. These silk glands can be found central on the rim of the epigynal plate which is found between the anterior pair of book lungs. These glands can in some genera be very pronounced and take the shape of a circular/triangular/crescent shaped dark "dot" or "spot" (depending on genera) even at early instars in for instance Brachypelma, Grammostola, Poecilotheria and ornithoctonids. All juvenile to adult males have these fusillae. And the Cyriopagopus (ornithoctonid) in the picture have a marked dark spot right on the center of the rim of the epigynbal plate which is why I say it's a male. At least it looks like any other juvenile male I have encountered within genus Cyriopagopus. I have bred and raised C. schioedtei and a wide array of other ornithoctonids on multiple occasions which leads me to the next few factors which I base my assumption on

... experience, experience and experience ;-)

Learn more about this technique at:
http://www.birdspiders.com/faq_sex.html

Very Best Regards
Søren

Arachnoking said:
dont mean this to sound rude Soren but what are u basing the reply of it being male on? could u demonstrate. im just very curious

RichardDegville

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hiya just out of interest I would be interested to see a Ventral view of Deans other specimen as correct me if im wrong dean is the only other person that bought a couple of this sp in the uk from the BTS show? and if there were a majority of males for sale at the BTS show he may have 2 males? or may have struck lucky and got a pair? Im not a great fan of sexing via non kin examination as I was cock sure I had a male pokie once until it ended up producing a bogus egg sac :confused:

Last edited: