controversial question, would you eat a tarantula?

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
Hi
Sure I would try them but I think Hot Dogs would taste just as nice!:D

Cheers
Chris

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Yes, I think I probably would, just out of curiosity. Rick West says they taste like prawns. They would have to be prepared in a manner that didn't cause them suffering though.

Different cultures eat different things. Just because we love Ts doesn't mean they don't make a great source of protein. Koreans eat dogs, and I can't imagine what they would do to us if we ordered a big juicy steak in India!!;)

roberto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think that there is a difference between tasteful tongue in cheek humor and outright offensive images. The picture of the blow torch roasting the dead dog, however acceptable it might be in some societies, was shown in this context to offend. It is humorless. Leave the offensive humor to Sacha Baron Cohen. He's a genius. Besides, everyone knows dog is best served after slow roasting over low heat as the meat is otherwise too tough. Cooking it as shown in your picture would render it inedible. I find that highly offensive.

Pestilence

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey why not. I'd try one.
I mean I have eaten monkey brains. A T can't be that bad.
What is that dish called in Asia where they let a duck egg mature 3/4 of the way but before it hatches they boil it and then eat the almost fully formed baby bird? I remember they interpreter telling us that if you get one with a little crunch to it those are the best. Don't remember what it was called though........:confused:
Hey Ryan, its Called "BALUT" its a duck egg where its almost mature and the duck is fully formed sometimes with a few furs (or feathers) stickin out. quite tasty. one of my favorites. have you tasted it?:drool:

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Even for those of you who do not wish to eat tarantulas or any other spider, you may be in for a big surprise. It is believed that the average person consumes about 3-5 spiders a year in their sleep unintentionally. This occurs when the spider crawls into our mouths.

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I could never eat a tarantula, I just find that gross. If it was a matter of survival however, I would.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think that there is a difference between tasteful tongue in cheek humor and outright offensive images. The picture of the blow torch roasting the dead dog, however acceptable it might be in some societies, was shown in this context to offend. It is humorless. Leave the offensive humor to Sacha Baron Cohen. He's a genius. Besides, everyone knows dog is best served after slow roasting over low heat as the meat is otherwise too tough. Cooking it as shown in your picture would render it inedible. I find that highly offensive.
i highly doubt that dog was dead when they scorched it. there is no blood trail and it's throat isn't cut and a country that poor (which it appears to be) don't use captive bolt guns to stun the animal. look at the way the other dog is positioned. no dog dies in that position.

barkobarko

Arachnopeon
What is that dish called in Asia where they let a duck egg mature 3/4 of the way but before it hatches they boil it and then eat the almost fully formed baby bird? I remember they interpreter telling us that if you get one with a little crunch to it those are the best. Don't remember what it was called though........:confused:
its called balut, and its yummy hehe:D

ricneto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i highly doubt that dog was dead when they scorched it. there is no blood trail and it's throat isn't cut and a country that poor (which it appears to be) don't use captive bolt guns to stun the animal. look at the way the other dog is positioned. no dog dies in that position.
You would not see the blood after being torched. sone cultures do not bleed animals after killing them.
I am confident they were killed before. Most likely by a blunt object strongly appied on the head.

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
lol lol lol
the best thing about this is the fact that you have absolultly no idea as to what you are talking about.:rolleyes:
This Picture was taken (along with a fair few others) at a market in North Sulawesi where in this particular area the local residences are know for eating almost anything that has 4 legs (the bats and rats on one table were also quite a sight to behold).
The dogs that are on the market are kept in cages, untill that is, nice man comes along and takes one by the scruff of it's neck and gives it one god almighty twat around on the back of the head with a very stout heavy looking club (think Captin Caveman but with alot more skill at dispatch). While at this Market observing all this not at anytime did you even hear a wimper from an injured dog and never did the nice man have to hit the dog twice, so the method of dispatch was what I would call quick and clean. Jesus if I went out this way I think I would be quite happy.
After this quick dispatch the dogs are then given the once over by "Bunson Burner Man" (as in the photo) to remove as much of the hair as possible before being placed on a table to sell to the exteramly nice and friendly people of North Sulawesi.

What I really like about the western world is that on a whole I would imagine that we are the bigest consumers of meat, yet to see any images on where the meat comes from and how we go about getting the meat is a total no no for some people. Personly I think that every school kid should be made to visit a slaughter house to see the way Daisy the cow turns into a Mc Donalds big Mc (ok abit hard to do considering there is no meat at Mc Donalds and just rubber.......A joke before Mc Donalds comes to sue my arse lol) just to show a bit of the reality of life.

@roberto
Sure many will see my humor as sick but that is just an opinion of your own nothing more, and as such I am not going to give a rats arse about it. Others on the other hand may also be able to laugh along but I'm not going to give a second thought to this either.
The way you say
Leave the offensive humor to Sacha Baron Cohen. He's a genius.
is proberly one of the most funny statements I have read for a long time, so thanks for that {D .

I wont go on as I'm boring myself now But if it has bored you then good stuff.
All the best
Mr Christopher

P.S. I would still like to try a nice tarantula.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey Ryan, its Called "BALUT" its a duck egg where its almost mature and the duck is fully formed sometimes with a few furs (or feathers) stickin out. quite tasty. one of my favorites. have you tasted it?:drool:
No we tried to find a place that served them when I was traveling in the Marines, but we had a language barrier and failed to find a place. I still want to see what the hype is about.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, because I like them too much. Anyway, I have nothing against it.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i'm actually vegetarian so no, i wouldn't eat one.
Just out of curiosity, how far do you take that?

Do you just refuse to eat the invertebrates you happen to like?

If you go through the kernels of canned corn, you can usually manage to find two or three european corn borers which are caterpillars that attack corn plants.

Seriously, try it sometime. I can almost guarantee you'll find at least two per can.

but it's so nice of the moderators to complain about someone using a four letter word, but not deleting a picture that's blatantly cruel.
Did you bother to report the post?

If not, then stop complaining.

The post has been reported now, so it will most likely be taken care of.

I agree. There is a distinct difference between clever sick humor and...well, that.

In this context it was just plain tasteless.

Back to the question at hand, I would actually like to try a tarantula. I'm sure they're quite tasty.

I'd only eat one if it were prepared in the way the natives that eat them prepare it.