Considering orange headed roaches ??

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Had an ant invasion had to move the roaches to another spot luckily none got hurt . Any non harmful way to kill ants ?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Had one roach die not sure if I need to add substrate for better humidity or not ? I added more egg flats so they can spread out more . I got them away from the ants , so I doubt it but that could had caused it . Just fed them a day ago , and had a few kibble in container .

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Does the container look good? Do they eat bread/buns had an old loaf that’s still good ? I know my dubia used to . IMG_2013.jpeg IMG_2012.jpeg IMG_2011.jpeg

Last edited:

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
Oh, and the video is about orange headed roaches. I wasn't sure is it was mentioned well in the title.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
They aren't going to breed at 70, or even reach adulthood in their lifespan... 77 will be slow to breed and grow. It's all there in that paper. A crap heatmat keeps my hissers about +10 from room which is fine.. sometimes it hits 90. Don't burn 'em either, nothing they touch should be much over 90.

If we're talking about dubia.. if it's orange heads, I really don't know.
Which heatmat do you suggest for there larger bin when I move them to it , you can just pm.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Had an ant invasion had to move the roaches to another spot luckily none got hurt . Any non harmful way to kill ants ?
Vaseline barrier around legs of shelf, or bottom of bin or whatever is the most effective point should stop them. The only thing I've seen walk right over it is mites.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Vaseline barrier around legs of shelf, or bottom of bin or whatever is the most effective point should stop them. The only thing I've seen walk right over it is mites.
Yeah I moved the tank away from the window the scout ants must had found it somehow do they climb through windows or something?? How do ants 🐜 get in ?? Sucks because that’s a good spot I can try-Vaseline but it was sitting on the floor maybe that was the issue??

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I added substrate and none are having issues , makes Me think I removed the sub for zero reason the first Time the ones that died was from shipping shock..
but I gotta let it dry out more so I put my roache bin, inside a bigger bin so if any get out they can’t escape . Should I only keep a small area of the sub wet ?

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Yeah I wouldn't keep more than just a small area damp.. none if the humidity in room is decent, and away from food. Research how they live in the wild... I agree with substrate, you just have to be careful what's in it. I'm not mass-producing roaches, so substrate isn't a pain, just something they probably like a hell of a lot more than plastic and holds humidity better. if you are, it's a huge pain, try sorting a roach bin out for sale with roaches buried in substrate, with different size particles, 8 hours a day... That's why people rag on substrate. And the issues of it possibly getting/being contaminated. You can't argue against "nothing" being safer for unknown chemicals or parasites than anything else could ever possibly be...

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah I wouldn't keep more than just a small area damp.. none if the humidity in room is decent, and away from food. Research how they live in the wild... I agree with substrate, you just have to be careful what's in it. I'm not mass-producing roaches, so substrate isn't a pain, just something they probably like a hell of a lot more than plastic and holds humidity better. if you are, it's a huge pain, try sorting a roach bin out for sale with roaches buried in substrate, with different size particles, 8 hours a day... That's why people rag on substrate. And the issues of it possibly getting/being contaminated. You can't argue against "nothing" being safer for unknown chemicals or parasites than anything else could ever possibly be...
I don’t use substrate for Dubia but I only have 30-40 oranges so I gave it a second try , hmm which is barely enough to start a colony? It may be removed if populations explode at some point half aren’t adults yet so around 20 full grown atm. I really should had bought more didn’t expect to receive around this many payed for 100. :(

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I don’t use substrate for Dubia but I only have 30-40 oranges so I gave it a second try , hmm which is barely enough to start a colony? It may be removed if populations explode at some point half aren’t adults yet so around 20 full grown atm. I really should had bought more didn’t expect to receive around this many payed for 100. :(
Just keep them warm, watered, and fed... Other than that, if you add time, nothing can fail lol. I'm now at about 100 hissers even with feeding some nymphs off, started with 2 pair. First 30 nymphs are almost adults now.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
$6 + $3 worth of chicken feed + 8 months (several nymphs fed off). Got a 10 gal aquarium I'm setting up right now for rehouse. hissers-june.jpg

$15 + $8 worth of chicken feed + 8 months (thousands of nymphs and males fed off). It's really deceiving because most of the small roaches are in the sub...
dubia-june-1.jpg
dubia-june-2.jpg
dubia-june-3.jpg

You'll be alright ;) Just make sure some nymphs from each clutch reach adulthood and don't feed off adult females for a long time.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
$6 + $3 worth of chicken feed + 8 months (several nymphs fed off). Got a 10 gal aquarium I'm setting up right now for rehouse. View attachment 448505

$15 + $8 worth of chicken feed + 8 months (thousands of nymphs and males fed off). It's really deceiving because most of the small roaches are in the sub...
View attachment 448506
View attachment 448507
View attachment 448508

You'll be alright ;) Just make sure some nymphs from each clutch reach adulthood and don't feed off adult females for a long time.
Do hissers breed room temp 70-75? I may try them someday regardless but anything that breed room temp I got more space for . But for now I’ll see how current colony’s work out . Is there an easy way to tell male from female orange heads ? Not that I plan on feeding any off anytime soon but for future reference.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Do hissers breed room temp 70-75? I may try them someday regardless but anything that breed room temp I got more space for . But for now I’ll see how current colony’s work out . Is there an easy way to tell male from female orange heads ? Not that I plan on feeding any off anytime soon but for future reference.
I would think 75 a bit low, but maybe. I'm sure there are scientific papers on it.

Male Orange heads have a white dot on the sides of the last segment if I recall, search around for it though I could remember the sex wrong, or species or anything, never kept them. They are smaller than the females, but maybe only slightly. Otherwise, the last segment will be a complete piece on the underside in females, and split in 3-ish on males *most likely* similar to other roaches... The female has to open the whole segment, the male only a small part on the end.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I would think 75 a bit low, but maybe. I'm sure there are scientific papers on it.

Male Orange heads have a white dot on the sides of the last segment if I recall, search around for it though I could remember the sex wrong, or species or anything, never kept them. They are smaller than the females, but maybe only slightly. Otherwise, the last segment will be a complete piece on the underside in females, and split in 3-ish on males *most likely* similar to other roaches... The female has to open the whole segment, the male only a small part on the end.
thanks!
Could I still use my small heat mat with a larger tank for a while until I order from Amazon? These roaches are too large for their container already.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
thanks!
Could I still use my small heat mat with a larger tank for a while until I order from Amazon? These roaches are too large for their container already.
Couldn't hurt.. Might be enough anyhow, just place it under the egg cartons or something, they don't need it anywhere else...

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
To each their own. I like the bottom, and I set the thermostat on the bottom so I know exactly how hot the hottest part is.

I mean thermometer, been a long day, but if you had a probe it would be the same idea, put it in the hottest place so you know nothing is hotter...

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
What’s the difference in growth speed between dubia & orange roaches? It seems they both take along time to grow at 77-80 degrees or whatever I’ve got them at.