communal

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wanted to house two or more of my Ts together but (I was gonna buy more to house with certain ones i already have. below are the species of Ts I have. how big does the enclosure have to be, Do the Ts have to be all the same size?, Can it be difference species but same genus and which of any of these would be the best to try communate (sp).:

P. Regalis
N vulpinus
H gigas
P cambrigei
Curly hair (forgot the scientific name)
GBB
Phormictopus cancerides
Haplopelma albostriata
Brachypelma vagans
Singapore blue
P murinus
P lugardi
A Versicolor
Lasiodora striatipes

I have a 55 gallon tank I can use and I also have a 29 gallon tank I can use and a 20 gallon tank I can use. If there are better choices for communal living as far as T species are concerned what are some choices of species that I do not have?

Last edited:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
the only species listed here that i knpow can be kept together succesfully are p.regalis and h.gigas.id reccomend u raise up slings together tho.oh and u def cant put dif species together :embarrassed:

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wait I am confused, you want to try to keep all those listed species communally? I think out of the list the only one that MIGHT tolerate interaction between another of its species is the regalis. All other ones will eat each other.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the only species listed here that i knpow can be kept together succesfully are p.regalis and h.gigas.id reccomend u raise up slings together tho.oh and u def cant put dif species together :embarrassed:
hey did you read the BTS journal..where it kinda disproves the fact that slings dont need to be from the same sack and don't have to be the same age to be able to cohabit-ate??? not trying to start a war or anything but it was interesting reading... opps forgot the journal num's, "FEB 07, vol 22 #2
the author was Ray Gabriel

back to the question lol...regalis would be of the list, that i would attempt a type of communal setup...

patrick86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
P. regalis may co-hab for a while but you will eventually end up with just one. The H. gigas may be a better choice of those listed. I've read somewhere, sorry I can't remember where, that a few sac mates were brought up together and as adults were seen grooming each other. Now isn't that special.

Isn't there a thread around here with someone who's been raising Holothele incei together? Up to three generations I believe in the same tank. Those were some of the coolest tarantula pictures I've ever seen. All those little web burrows right next to each other.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Successful P. murinas communal

We successfully raised up 5 P. murinas slings through maturity in a 29 gal! We only took them out to sell... We ended up with two females and two males. We just acquired 11 new P. murinas babies to start a new and bigger communal - just cause it was so cool to watch!;)
We saw the pictures of the Holothele incei communal - OMG that was sumpthin' else!

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
man, cohabitating is a BAD idea. like they said, you will just end up with one. i have however, heard of some people successfully keeping some species together. general rule of thumb: make sure it's a HUGE cage (so they don't run into each other often), and that all parties involved are very well fed. let us know how it goes if you decide to do it...

mischaaussems

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why don't you try a communal set-up with for instance Holethele incei. I know a few people who keep more generations in one tank. Nice looking spider which can live communally in a relatively small tank (it's a small sp.). I recently bought some Cyriocosmos elegans and sp. Bolivia and I've read they found area's that were infested with this species in the wild. This has also been reported for some Poecilothera sp.

I've you don't want to take the risk of losing a T, then don't create a communal set-up. But we can learn a lot of observing behaviour in a communal set-up, how spiders interact etc.

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
for a twist you could try a large tank with say the A. versicolor, B. albopilosum, and a Haplopelma. The math works out that if they are well fed they should never meet.:rolleyes:

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They might be more species that can be kept communal, just keep in mind that you'll never totaly avoid cannibalism! If humans can do it in times of crisis or stress, animals will do for sure!

From what I know, forget about your NW terrestrials (brachys, Nandhu, Lasiodora) and the Haplopelmas they will revert to violence quite early on. Psalmos and OW giants have been seen in group including quite large specimens.

Arboreals on the other hand seem more inclined to live among their peers. A versicolor is said to be less tolerant to company.

Oh, BTW, introducing ANYTHING in the enclosure of a spider that already settled in will result in an attack whatsoever!

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A Haplopelma that is well fed has no reason to leave the "safety" of it's burrow. An Avicularia with the same theory has no reason to leave it's webbing. Therefore there's still room for one in the middle a terrestrial. Yes it's risky, but it would be the ultimate in cool if it could be pulled off.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The H. gigas may be a better choice of those listed. I've read somewhere, sorry I can't remember where, that a few sac mates were brought up together and as adults were seen grooming each other. Now isn't that special.
mine tried to "groom" me lol

luna

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We successfully raised up 5 P. murinas slings through maturity in a 29 gal! We only took them out to sell... We ended up with two females and two males. We just acquired 11 new P. murinas babies to start a new and bigger communal - just cause it was so cool to watch!;)
We saw the pictures of the Holothele incei communal - OMG that was sumpthin' else!

I saw the pictures and her write up too...

I believe that tank belongs to The Red Queen & it was incredible!!!

I would love to try the same thing on a slightly smaller scale... think they started with an entire sac... the tank was full of web and you could see the openings of what looked like their burrows. Sort of reminded me of a well maintained community fish tank.

I did keep two A. avics together for more than a year. I believe they were from the same sac... purchased at the same time. That experiment ended when they both died at the same time. Something happened; don't think I had enough ventilation in the container I was keeping them in but they were not aggressive towards one another.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
man, cohabitating is a BAD idea. like they said, you will just end up with one. i have however, heard of some people successfully keeping some species together. general rule of thumb: make sure it's a HUGE cage (so they don't run into each other often), and that all parties involved are very well fed. let us know how it goes if you decide to do it...
Actually, many of the successful communal tanks are quite small. If the spiders are constantly interacting and touching each other then they become a sort of group and get used to it. If they only run into each other occationally, then they are more likely to see the other spider as a threat.

This is a really poor rewrite of a post by a keeper more experienced with communals. Ill try to find the origional post.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Actually, many of the successful communal tanks are quite small. If the spiders are constantly interacting and touching each other then they become a sort of group and get used to it. If they only run into each other occationally, then they are more likely to see the other spider as a threat.

This is a really poor rewrite of a post by a keeper more experienced with communals. Ill try to find the origional post.
really? i'm not doubting you, but it must be different with different species. i've read that big cages work with the pinktoes b/c they don't interact too often. is it different with terrestrials or something?

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
really? i'm not doubting you, but it must be different with different species. i've read that big cages work with the pinktoes b/c they don't interact too often. is it different with terrestrials or something?
This was written about Pokies. I searched, but couldnt find the thread. It has something to do with keeping them in a close group, so they are forced to interact and they dont end up seeing each other as threats.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

i think there is more success then we think..though im in no position to argue...

the BTS journals have had several observations to the contrary, including species we thought couldn't be communal....we have seen that slings of pokies can be kept together communally and dont have to be from the same sac's and and can range from slings to juveniles...also we have seen that a single female can mature faster and establish a colony becoming the dominant head of said colony..so to say it doesn't work:? , well it certainly seems like it can and can be very successful...of coarse i was paraphrasing the article...but i think everyone should read it...

though i would love to hear Michael Jacobi's take on the journal entry...since he would be more qualified to interrupt rays writings then me..

Last edited:

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This was written about Pokies. I searched, but couldnt find the thread. It has something to do with keeping them in a close group, so they are forced to interact and they dont end up seeing each other as threats.

The original source stated about the fact that they become territorial when allowed a bit of terra of their own.