communal

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
The original source stated about the fact that they become territorial when allowed a bit of terra of their own.
hmmm, that makes a lot more sense! thank you for the info and for the clarification!:worship:

luna

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The original source stated about the fact that they become territorial when allowed a bit of terra of their own.
Sort of like keeping African cichlids... those tanks you see on display in stores and places like office buildings where they are super crowded everyone "seems" ok. A few pair in a tank at home and they fight all the time.

No personal space so you just deal.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've seen several threads like this one and I've often wondered how many of the replies are from personal experience and how many of them are just repeating what they heard someone else say. I myself have only kept a communal tank once and it was years ago and I had no problems with it (It was A. avics). I can't comment on anything else since I have never seen it done nor have I ever talked to anyone that has done it. I myself would like to try it and am in the process of setting up a 75 gallon tank for that purpose. I'm just not sure what species to put in it yet. Just out of curiosity, how many people have ended up with that one big spider and what were the conditions like in the setup? I'd like to know all I can before I setup anything this involved and I'm hoping that eventually I can learn something from it, even if it is that you really do end up with one big spider.

rattler420

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ill definately be trying a comunal set-up eventually. but im gonna wait until i raise & successfully breed some pokies before i do. that way ill have a great deal more experience than i have now. also i cant see taking a chance on canabalism with spiders i just spent so much money on, hehe.

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I kept 2 P. regalis slings in a 2.5 gallon tank for 6 months. They got too big for the tank so I separated them. No deaths.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Other side of the pond, here in EU pretty much understand a need to keep up the social tolerance by smaller enclosures.
ATM i have 10 P pederseni communal, and 4 singa blues. All doing ok..
The singa blue was an experiment, and iv had one cannibalised, but thats in about 6months. I really would be so suprised if the pokies cannibalised.
Ray Gabriel actually keeps huge numbers of his pokies communally.
P regalis, for instance, are known to be one of the least communal pokie. His are all large, and are a large group, maybe 30, probably more. Being contained in a cereal plastic container

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Other side of the pond, here in EU pretty much understand a need to keep up the social tolerance by smaller enclosures.
ATM i have 10 P pederseni communal, and 4 singa blues. All doing ok..
The singa blue was an experiment, and iv had one cannibalised, but thats in about 6months. I really would be so suprised if the pokies cannibalised.
Ray Gabriel actually keeps huge numbers of his pokies communally.
P regalis, for instance, are known to be one of the least communal pokie. His are all large, and are a large group, maybe 30, probably more. Being contained in a cereal plastic container
i dont know what all the fear is here in the states to keep communal t's??? in Europe it seems to be successful and it also seems its alittle more encouraged as well...

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i dont know what all the fear is here in the states to keep communal t's???
I think it's mostly a case of people repeating what they've read or been told by other people who read it. I've seen alot of people say they've kept certain species communally with no problem but I haven't seen that many say they've kept them communally and ended up losing all but one. Actually there may be some that have tried it with disasterous results but I've never seen anything about it. Not saying it isn't there, just that I haven't seen it. If anyone has had that result, I would definitely be interested in hearing about it though.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I also know that when pokies are kept together it helps heat them up and/or raise the humidity. I was going to try putting my two rufilatas together as slings but decided against it not only becuse of the slim posibility that they would canibalize each other but because I had an extra cage....