Colombian Tarantulas New Species ***Must See***

T

taranvan

Hi, I'm delighted to inform I've found some breathtaking new species of tarantulas here in Colombia, basically right at my backyard.
I wish I could share with everyone of you the wonderful experience of actually going out there to the jungle and finding them. It is soooo much different than going to a pet store haha!

Anyways, please visit my site, look at the pictures, and please use the blog to leave a comment and give your insights.

These new tarantulas (most, as you will see a Xenesthis here) blew my mind, ESPECIALLY THE FIRST ONE with spinnerets almost as long as her abdomen! Hopefully they shock you as well.

Even giant scorpions can't escape the wrath of these gorgeous creatures.

http://www.colombiantarantulas.webs.com/

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That first one isn't even a tarantula...

Are you even qualified to claim that you've discovered new species?

T

taranvan

Hhahahaha dood I'm just screwing around with the name claiming, take it easy.

Anyways, how could you possibly say the first one is not a Tarantula? the first one is the same one in the second and third picture.

Take a closer look, I'll bet my life it's a tarantula we need an expert here.

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

Anyways, how could you possibly say the first one is not a Tarantula? the first one is the same one in the second and third picture.

It's a mygal I would bet but definitely not a tarantula

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

'Dood'...

It's a mygalomorph, as Forrest said. It is not a tarantula, 'dood'.

I also was referring to the first spider, not the first picture.

So, where's that life you owe me?

Cure

Arachnopeon
I agree with everyone here in saying that doesn't really strike me as a tarantula. Too small, for one, amongst a few other faults that may or may not go against you. Then again, I am only beginning the hobby. However, whatever the creature is, it's beautiful. ^^
Did you take it home and try to set it up? Maybe it will grow?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Size isn't important regarding whether it's a tarantula or not, Cure. :)

Take a look at any Cyriocosmus, Holothele, or Hapalopus species, among others. There are some dwarf Aphonopelma species too.

T

taranvan

Damnnnnn itt!!!!!!!!!! hahaha I guess I owe you a life... But sorry I'm keepin' mine

Cure

Arachnopeon
Size isn't important regarding whether it's a tarantula or not, Cure. :)

Take a look at any Cyriocosmus, Holothele, or Hapalopus species, among others. There are some dwarf Aphonopelma species too.
Really?
Wow... I learn so much from you. ^^
What makes you say it's not a tarantula then? I'd love to see the differences that you do.

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Also~
I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, but the last few pictures look very similar to the markings I see on the Pam. Nigricolor...? I can't find much info on them at all, so I doubt I'm right on this approach either.

T

taranvan

Well, thanks Cure. It's a beauty nonetheless...Anyways, what can anyone tell me about the bluish spider?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Spinnerettes are the main giveaway. Mygalomorphs have long spinnerettes like that, not tarantulas. Leg structure is another, but my terminology is so terrible I'll leave it at that and let someone more knowledgable take over.

BTW, here's a picture of a mature male Cyriocosmus ritae, to give an example of a dwarf species of tarantula:

T

taranvan

xhexdx...Wow, thanks for letting me know about the spinnerets. I got too exited there with the whole new species thing.

Anyways, you seem pretty knowledgable about Tarantulas, the bluish one is a tarantula right?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah all the rest look like tarantulas to me...

...well, other than the last pic you posted. That one's a scorpion. ;)

T

taranvan

hahaha yeap. Wow, this is so confusing, I'm searching for the difference between mygalomorphs and Theraphosidae and can't find!!!!!

Some people are even showing super hairy buff spiders and saying it's a mygalomorph!!!!!

HELP

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
9th pic looks Xenethis immanis to me...which is not a new species. Are you keeping any of these? If so, that is a pretty cheap Xenethis.

--Dan

T

taranvan

Dan, what do you mean by cheap hahaha? You cracked me. No, I'm guessing it's skinny because it seems to be a male. Males are much thinner and puny.

Anyways no, I don't keep any, just go out to jungles to look for them. And yes, I knew it was Xenesthis.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cheap = free since you found it in the wild and didn't have to buy it.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Just to be clear here, tarantulas are mygalomorphs too. The family Theraphosidae belongs within the infraorder Mygalomorphae. I urge anyone to download Robert Raven's "The spider infraorder Mygalomorphae (Araneae) : cladistics and systematics." for an in-depth treatment of the relationships within the mygalomorphs. Yes, there has been many revisions and new information since it was published in 1985, but it will provide a good start to search for more publications regarding all the taxa discussed.

http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/dspace/handle/2246/955

The mystery mygalomorph with the long spinnerets looks to belong to the mygalomorph family Dipluridae.

- Lonnie

Last edited:

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This thread was a little pissant to begin with but those are some sweet spiders in the first few images.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As stated, that first spider is some sort of mygalomorph, and the second one appears to be one too.