Colombian Tarantulas New Species ***Must See***

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The first one is Ischnothele caudata. They are found through out Mexico, northern South America, and on many islands off the coast such as Trinidad. I currently have a small (50+) colony running in a large vase.

T

taranvan

Wow guys thanks for the support and answers, I never imagined this thing would explode like this.

I'm still extremely confused!!!! People you're driving me insane here! Is the first spider a tarantula or not?????

If it is a new species, wouldn't we all just be assuming it's this and that, and that precisely these assumptions give space for it to be a new New World species?

I need some more answers.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow guys thanks for the support and answers, I never imagined this thing would explode like this.

I'm still extremely confused!!!! People you're driving me insane here! Is the first spider a tarantula or not?????

If it is a new species, wouldn't we all just be assuming it's this and that, and that precisely these assumptions give space for it to be a new New World species?

I need some more answers.

It is not a tarantula. It is Ischnothele caudata. An extremely common and widespread Mygalomorph.

When referring to Mygalomorphs (in this case the family Dipluridae) we tend to be differentiating between the families with more primitive characteristics than Therasophidae such as having 2 booklungs instead of 4.

T

taranvan

Ischnothele caudata it is! But why are there people saying Mygalomorphs are another name for Tarantulas and why does this spider look so similar to a tarantula. She's friggen hairy like a beast, she's buff, and even curled up just like a tarantula...

Anyways, anyone have any answers on what the brown-gold carapace with dark brown abdomen tarantula might be? And what about the gorgeous blue one?

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The first one is Ischnothele caudata. They are found through out Mexico, northern South America, and on many islands off the coast such as Trinidad. I currently have a small (50+) colony running in a large vase.
What other colonies have you got hiding in those vases of yours. Those are beautiful spiders AC.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please, Theraphosidae is a sub family of Mygalomorphs...

Actually, the local name in South america of a regular big Theraphosid is, many times, "migala". (Migalomorphae )

T

taranvan

Hahahahah Fran, I beg to differ. I practically live here in Colombia, "Vivo en Colombia, me llamo Daniel, me encantan las tarantulas y aranas especialmente,"

haha a bit of Spanish but the point is we don't call them "migala" here, not even remotely close. At least not here in Colombia.

They call them "POLLAS" here because the people claim they eat their chickens...

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hahahahah Fran, I beg to differ. I practically live here in Colombia, "Vivo en Colombia, me llamo Daniel, me encantan las tarantulas y aranas especialmente,"

haha a bit of Spanish but the point is we don't call them "migala" here, not even remotely close. At least not here in Colombia.

They call them "POLLAS" here because the people claim they eat their chickens...
They do in Venezuela,parts of Brazil,Argentina...

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The 'chicken spiders' are actually a species of Pamphobeteus. Another species AbraxasComplex keeps communally...

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What other colonies have you got hiding in those vases of yours. Those are beautiful spiders AC.
I've had quite a few (centipedes, scorpions, tailless whips, etc.). Now I just have a few species of tarantula and Ischnothele caudata. Spiders tend to allow offspring to reach adulthood most other social inverts start seeing their offspring as food after a certain size.

T

taranvan

Yes xhexdx...It's funny you mention Pamphobeteus because it's always a massive, and I mean massive Fortis or Nigricolor getting killed by the locals for murdering their chicks. And they're always yelling "maldita polla hijueputa" hahahaha meaning "damn tarantula!"

Aww, it gets me down when these things happen. In all honesty I feel admiration towards these wonrderful creepy crawlers...

I used to bring many tarantulas back and kept them in my house to study and observe them, but hey, I simply decided to leave them in their natural "terrarium" and just take pictures in my trips. I found the Megaphobema Robustum in El Choco but didn't have my camera handy to take pictures of it...this I regret even now.

She was stunning, about 1" leg span. Still a baby, but that orange and black color were so intense it made her look like Halloween. Anyways, I will post more pictures from other trips soon, everyone seems to like the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The 'chicken spiders' are actually a species of Pamphobeteus. Another species AbraxasComplex keeps communally...
As we know them in the hobby yes, but according to the Chileans I know, including one I dated, most species that are large are quickly labeled arana polito. I'd always get confused by a Chilean customer I had here who would constantly tell me he could get his family to easily grab me Chicken Spiders whenever I wanted them. When he showed me some photos, they were typically male Grammostola spp., Pamphobeteus sp., and several other unidentifiable large brown MMs that they stopped for as they were crossing the road.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Spinnerettes are the main giveaway. Mygalomorphs have long spinnerettes like that, not tarantulas.
Check out the spinnerettes on Heterothele. They're very long, look a lot like diplurids (another mygalomorph). But generally speaking, that is an unusual feature in tarantulas.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Please, Theraphosidae is a sub family of Mygalomorphs...
Actually, Theraphosidae is a family of the infraorder Mygalomorphae, just like Nemesiidae, Antrodiaetidae etc.

A subfamily is e.g. Theraphosinae, Harpactirinae, Selenocosmiinae (in the family Theraphosidae). Note that family names always have the -idae ending while subfamily names have the -inae ending.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually, Theraphosidae is a family of the infraorder Mygalomorphae, just like Nemesiidae, Antrodiaetidae etc.

A subfamily is e.g. Theraphosinae, Harpactirinae, Selenocosmiinae (in the family Theraphosidae). Note that family names always have the -idae ending while subfamily names have the -inae ending.
Correct, family, not subfamily.