Coffee grounds for substrate? Does caffeine affect T's?

Eek

Arachnosquire
I've been wondering this for a few weeks now and I figured I may as well ask. One facet of my job involves designing a new coffee grinder. Naturally, we churn through large quantities of coffee of various granularity. If the caffeine were extracted (say, for making coffee) would the leftover grind be a suitable substrate? I think it would be fascinating to try a couple different grinds in the same terrarium to see which one the T goes for.

I know that other chemicals can be detrimental to a T...but what if was a decaf grind? Does anyone know if caffeine affects T's?

Please forgive any obviously noobish tinges to my questions...but give it to me straight, doc. :nurse:

creepa

Arachnoknight
What makes this so fascinating for you to use coffee instead of normal substrate?

What would be the benefits against normal substrate?

I dont want to be a jerk but i just want to know the why...

micahgartman

Arachnopeon
Our only T—a Grammostola pulchripes—FREAKS OUT when coffee is in his room.

FREAKS. OUT.

To clarify: If I bring of a cup of hot coffee into Sydney Sue's room, he will run around as if he's been set on fire. His behavior is extremely erratic—he frantically climbs the walls of his enclosure as if he's trying to escape. It's definitely not a "happy dance."

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I think a product that is processed like that, and the beans being roasted does not make for good substrate....
And as @creepa said....why?!

Eek

Arachnosquire
I have more control over the consistency of the grind. I can make a powdery and very fine "packing soil" setup or I can make it coarser than most substrates out there. Its a variable that I have control over that allows me to discern a soil consistency preferred by the T. If they are kept at the same humidity and all other variables are the same...which one would the T spend the majority of their time on? Or would it not matter and it would frequent all corners of the container?

One of the most popular substrates is a coco fiber blend and I've seen different soils used by hobbyists of all shapes and sizes...some of the stuff out there had to be explored by curious minds. Also, I need more empirical evidence of what caffeine does aside from just FREAKS OUT with one spider.

user 666

Arachnobaron
What makes this so fascinating for you to use coffee instead of normal substrate?

What would be the benefits against normal substrate?

I dont want to be a jerk but i just want to know the why...
Well, if you give the new substrate to a baboon species it might set a new world record for breaking the sound barrier from a standing start.

Tulip28

Arachnopeon
Even decaf coffee contains some caffeine. There will be caffeine in coffee grounds, even if they've been used. Caffeine and nicotine are very similar, and both are natural pesticides.

I would not try this. It could kill your tarantula. Even if death was not immediate, low level exposure to even small amounts of caffeine would still probably be traumatic, especially over time.

Edited to add that as far as actual effects, it would likely cause neurological problems for the T, perhaps even DKS? When nicotine is used as a pesticide, its primary route of action is through the nervous system. Caffeine and nicotine are both stimulants and have similar neurological effects.

Last edited:

Devin B

Arachnobaron
If you have your heart set on using coffee grounds you could do the ol' house crickets on the experimental substrate trick and see how that goes.

Eek

Arachnosquire
I suppose i could also catch some wild spiders and see how they do. Yeah, if there were some way to identify how much caffeine is considered hazardous i can halt this pursuit if i cant reach it. Kind of like lead or radiation...only the larger doses cause concern. Let me emphasize that this investigation is not meant to jepordize a t...more to figure out if its feasible.

Tulip28

Arachnopeon
https://owlcation.com/stem/Caffeine-Its-effects-on-animals-plants-and-the-environment

Please note the section about how spiders given caffeine could not form webs properly, and the following section which notes that insects preferentially AVOIDED substrate laced with caffeine. Smaller insects can be killed by a 0.1% solution of caffeine.

Roughly, 10 micrograms of caffeine is enough to cause ill effects in spiders. From what I've read, used coffee grounds will contain about 8 milligrams of caffeine per one gram of grounds. In other words MANY times more than the amount needed to cause harm to a tarantula.
Sources: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_of_psychoactive_drugs_on_animals
https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-content/coffee-grounds

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
https://owlcation.com/stem/Caffeine-Its-effects-on-animals-plants-and-the-environment

Please note the section about how spiders given caffeine could not form webs properly, and the following section which notes that insects preferentially AVOIDED substrate laced with caffeine. Smaller insects can be killed by a 0.1% solution of caffeine.

Roughly, 10 micrograms of caffeine is enough to cause ill effects in spiders. From what I've read, used coffee grounds will contain about 8 milligrams of caffeine per one gram of grounds. In other words MANY times more than the amount needed to cause harm to a tarantula.
Sources: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_of_psychoactive_drugs_on_animals
https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-content/coffee-grounds
Wow. You rock :)
@Eek there's your answer :)

Eek

Arachnosquire
Thank you tremendously! Im keen on curcuits and sensors but I'm a novice woth biology related issues.

I kept coming up with people being affected by caffeine.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Ever leave spent coffee grounds in a machine for more than a day? Not only does it stink like hell, but it also molds very easily. Caffeine aside, I still wouldn't use it for that reason alone.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I can just imagine someone who drinks enough coffee to house a fossorial on the grounds. And i dont like them. Way too twitchy.

Ehliza

Arachnopeon
I'd be worried that it would take it and put some of it in it's water dish (as Ts often do with substrate) and then have coffee in it's dish instead of water:rolleyes: I doubt that would be healthy for a T to drink.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I'd be worried that it would take it and put some of it in it's water dish (as Ts often do with substrate) and then have coffee in it's dish instead of water:rolleyes: I doubt that would be healthy for a T to drink.
And what's wrong with a spider making herself a cup of joe?:D