Cobalt blue's?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I had no idea this colour variant existed. Your spider is gorgeous.
There are 4 I believe.

In addition to typical 'Cobalt Blue' there is -

'Green Femur' from Ta Yang
'Emerald Green' from Hua Hin district 'Midnight Blue' from Northern Thailand (I Think)

SchubertHelm

Arachnosquire
There are 4 I believe.

In addition to typical 'Cobalt Blue' there is -

'Green Femur' from Ta Yang
'Emerald Green' from Hua Hin district 'Midnight Blue' from Northern Thailand (I Think)
Interesting... I'll have to check them out.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I've got to check out these other colour forms, they're stunning sp. Very expensive in the hobby I would imagine, even if you could find them, stunning all the same.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I've got to check out these other colour forms, they're stunning sp. Very expensive in the hobby I would imagine, even if you could find them, stunning all the same.
I just sold an AF 'emerald green' for £45. I think 'midnight blue' is the priciest. I havent seen any for sale recently.

allreptiles

Arachnopeon
I know. Old conversation. But man you people are mean. Very immature.
Anyways, I started with a cobalt blue. Very first t. I bought 6 more not 6 months after changing enclosures.
All tarantulas are for beginners. If you research and have the knowledge that they will bite, are fast and very defensive, who are you to decide if it’s for a newbie? No one. I had no issues with this species. None. 20 years later I have 25 cobalt blues and dozens of other old world species.
I’ve bred my blues several times now. I’ve never been bitten. Not all blues are that temperamental!
Some are very docile. I have blues that accept transfers to new caging without hassling me. So I think you’re just some snobs mad that new t keepers ask questions. If it was a curly hair you’d be ok, right! Grow up.
As far as cobalt blues, I’ve bred several females over the years, males in the species are pretty easy to tell after a few molts. My females show some serious blue where as males are grey! Is this 100% accurate, NO. Of course not. But I’ve rarely gotten it wrong. Before they are a year old I know if my blues are male or female. Yes, I verify this when I need to. Breeding time. At this point in my old world experience, I don’t sex mine as some of you do. Not with cobalt blues! As stated, very easy to tell adult male from adult female. By looking!
If you disagree, you haven’t owned dozens of blues. Havent bred them for 15 years. Owned for 20. I only breed blues and obt’s. So I have a ton of knowledge.
If you’re new to cobalt blues, I’ll help without putting you down. I think if you don’t own one and want to, do so. Do not let these snobs tell you that you can’t! If you don’t mind a pet hole, don’t have the need to handle, they are no big deal! Really.
Transferring them into a bigger enclosure when young is easy for the first 2 transfers.
Just for the record, I have over 70 old world t’s. Have owned more earlier on. I have never been bitten. So owning a cobalt blue is not that dangerous. Riding a street bike, parachuting, walking in NYC, or living in Chicago is a lot more worrisome. Don’t you think. A t bite will hurt a little. More for some than others. As is with any pain. Yet cobalt blue snobs are telling you not to get one unless you’ve owned t’s for years prior. Lmao. Riding my farm tractor is more dangerous. Come on people. Cobalt blues are so easy to care for. Like I said, want something to handle? Get a curly hair or something like it. If you want a pretty blue tarantula that burrows abs you see once in awhile, get the cobalt blue.
And mine are out quite a bit. I have a dedicated t room and it’s 80. So they come out more than if they were in a 70 room temp house.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Alright. I'll bite.

But man you people are mean. Very immature.
I read back this old conversation and I don't see anything mean. It is sometimes hard to tell the tone of written words, but it was all quite civil (until OP started calling names, that is).

All tarantulas are for beginners.
True. There are some Australians on this board who don't have a choice other than starting with OW. But not every beginner is the same. Some are sensible, others are reckless. Better to be reckless with a curly hair than with a Cobalt Blue, wouldn't you say?

If you research and have the knowledge that they will bite, are fast and very defensive, who are you to decide if it’s for a newbie?
Well, that's often the problem right there. People don't do research. They just buy something without knowing how to care for it. OP mentioned handling his cobalt blues and that they were not as bad as everyone said, or something. Now, does this strike you as something a well-informed newbie would say?

I had no issues with this species. None.
Good for you ;)

Not all blues are that temperamental!
But most are. And they are not labelled 'temperamental' or 'docile' in the shop/on the breeder's website. Also, would a beginner be able to tell the difference?

males in the species are pretty easy to tell after a few molts.
That is interesting. From about what size would this be possible?

As stated, very easy to tell adult male from adult female. By looking!
Yes, as was mentioned in some of the posts. However, the question was if it was possible to sex slings. The answer was 'no'.

A t bite will hurt a little.
You don't speak from experience. Bite reports tell a different story than 'a little bit of pain'. Don't go saying that it is not that bad. Before you know it, some irresponsible kid starts handling his Cobalt Blue because an experienced keeper like yourself says it is 'not that bad' to get bitten.

. Do not let these snobs tell you that you can’t!
At one point, OP felt offended by something that was not even directed at him. Read carefully, and don't assume that everyone is putting you down. With this approach, you get a long way.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Why is this even back in circulation? C. lividum, or whatever it’s called now, is like the devil reincarnated...like this thread.

And research is only one part of the equation, so no, not all tarantulas are entry level appropriate. We pick out poison, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.