Cobalt blue's?

Axel Martinez

Arachnopeon
I have two cobalt blue's and I can't tell how males differ from females. Does anyone have a picture of their grown cobalt blue's so I can examine mine?

CaffeinatedSpider

Rachnera A Best
What size are they? subadult/adult cobalts are vastly different looking. Males are smaller and a drab gray, while females are the famous pretty blue color and much larger bodied.

They're a sexually dimorphic species of T.

Axel Martinez

Arachnopeon
What size are they? subadult/adult cobalts are vastly different looking. Males are smaller and a drab gray, while females are the famous pretty blue color and much larger bodied.

They're a sexually dimorphic species of T.
They're slings, ik, ik. But I can already tell one is male and the other female. It's just that one is suppose to be green but it just so happened it's a male.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They're slings, ik, ik. But I can already tell one is male and the other female. It's just that one is suppose to be green but it just so happened it's a male.
This doesn't make sense. You either know their gender or you don't. If they are slings, how did you determine gender?

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I have two cobalt blue's and I can't tell how males differ from females. Does anyone have a picture of their grown cobalt blue's so I can examine mine?
What size are they? Anything smaller than an inch is going to be difficult to sex, unless you have an exuviae, if you have pics, through them up so we can see.

This doesn't make sense. You either know their gender or you don't. If they are slings, how did you determine gender?
That doesn't even come close to what I'm thinking ATM, please enlighten us, how are you able to tell a male/female sling when experts with years of experience - sexing T's can't, would love to sex my slings with your method, please help....

cold blood

Staff member
You will need to wait for them to grow before you will be able to sex them.

I dont much like seeing keepers ask beginner questions with very advanced species...scary.:confused:

sasker

Arachnoprince
I can't tell how males differ from females
But I can already tell one is male and the other female.
This is very confusing. You don't know how to tell males and females apart? But you do know one is male and one is female? How do you know? And if you know, why do you ask this question?:confused:

Unless, unless, unless... you rely on the great wisdom of the all-knowing pet shop owner. That would also explain how it is that a beginner ends up with two H. lividum.

If I am right, please bear in mind for the next time never to trust any advice coming from pet shops!

Axel Martinez

Arachnopeon
That doesn't even come close to what I'm thinking ATM, please enlighten us, how are you able to tell a male/female sling when experts with years of experience - sexing T's can't, would love to sex my slings with your method, please help....
This is very confusing. You don't know how to tell males and females apart? But you do know one is male and one is female? How do you know? And if you know, why do you ask this question?:confused:

Unless, unless, unless... you rely on the great wisdom of the all-knowing pet shop owner. That would also explain how it is that a beginner ends up with two H. lividum.

If I am right, please bear in mind for the next time never to trust any advice coming from pet shops!

1.alright, I know I'm not an expert no need to just shove all these things at me about how I don't have experience. It's more of a guess. But my guess is on the size of them, if I'm right you both are gonna have to bite your tongue. Basically a male is skinnier than a female (obviously) and the two lividum that i have are different size but seem to be at the same molt stage.

2.I don't tale advice from store owners they're often not a reliable source.

3.I didn't ask if it's a male or female, my question was, will the male have less color than the female.

I know that these (two) tarantula's aren't for beginners, but so far they're not even hard to handle. I know the risks but don't make it seem as if each and every one of you started as a expert aholes.

SchubertHelm

Arachnosquire
The C.lividum doesn't show sexual dimorphism until the male's ultimate molt. Here's a google image of a male if you're curious but in order to sex your spider before it reaches maturity you will have to check for spermathecae in the molt.

The male is on the right.
IMG_0661.JPG

But my guess is on the size of them, if I'm right you both are gonna have to bite your tongue. Basically a male is skinnier than a female (obviously) and the two lividum that i have are different size but seem to be at the same molt
You don't need to guess. Very little research on sexing tarantulas will show you that you can't sex tarantulas exhibiting zero sexual dimorphic traits by their size.
I know that these (two) tarantula's aren't for beginners, but so far they're not even hard to handle. I know the risks but don't make it seem as if each and every one of you started as a expert aholes.
o_O

cold blood

Staff member
Basically a male is skinnier than a female (obviously) and the two lividum that i have are different size but seem to be at the same molt stage.
Schub s right...prior to maturity males and females are indistinguishable. Skinnier just means its earlier in the molt cycle, plumper simply means its eaten more and is closer to molting.

I know that these (two) tarantula's aren't for beginners, but so far they're not even hard to handle
No sling is hard to deal with, this is part of the problem when beginners get advanced slings...they get lulled into a false sense of security, just like you are exhibiting....what you have now and what you will have in the future will be totally different.

As long as you provide deep sub to burrow and are able to get the moisture-ventilation ratio down (so you aren't re-housing or fixing issues), re-houses will be your biggest issue as they are the definition of defensive when dug up.

Best of luck.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
1.alright, I know I'm not an expert no need to just shove all these things at me about how I don't have experience. It's more of a guess. But my guess is on the size of them, if I'm right you both are gonna have to bite your tongue. Basically a male is skinnier than a female (obviously) and the two lividum that i have are different size but seem to be at the same molt stage.

2.I don't tale advice from store owners they're often not a reliable source.

3.I didn't ask if it's a male or female, my question was, will the male have less color than the female.

You<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>The Point

We all started the same way you did apart from being "aholes" was how you put it, apart from buying advanced species that we know will grow into OW defensive spiders with a medically significant bite that in time you will NOT be handling. We've tried to tell you, if you want to learn - listen to experienced keepers, that way you will get the assistance you obviously need, C. lividum as your first T's, says it all.
You can't tell male from female just by sight at this young age, as @SchubertHelm explained.

sasker

Arachnoprince
don't make it seem as if each and every one of you started as a expert aholes.
No one started as an expert ahole. I don't consider myself an expert ahole, but judging by the kind of question you asked and the statements you made I thought you were a beginner ahole. I mean, doing a little reading on this forum will teach you that it is impossible to see if slings are male or female by just looking at them. Every ahole could find that information; beginner or expert. And I advise you to search for some bite reports of this species too while you are at it.

You also may want to watch your language because you could get flagged. People don't like to be called aholes just because they respond to your question.

Last edited:

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Am i the only one confused by the green thing? Is there a color form i dont know about??